Cyclist run over

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Cyclist run over

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Bugger.

Heaps of strength to your mate and the whole bunch Nick, here's hoping he's back in the wind quickly.

I'm off to cuddle the kids...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:09 pm

trailgumby wrote:Oh, God. I so hope your riding friend makes a full recovery. Thankfully he's alive. And my sympathies to you as well. It is very hard to deal with. Take up the counselling services, you will need them.

It would be worth investigating whether the driver knew he was a risk or had a history. It was reported in the local paper awhile back that a senior consultent to (I think) the navy knew he was a risk and didn't take his meds and either killed or seriously injured another party after having a seizure while driving. He was jailed.

My thoughts are with you and your friend.
The driver is under investigation. The police have a warrant to search his home for medical history. He did not look like someone who should be driving under any circumstances. He was a P driver and under the influence of something.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:20 pm

ni78ck wrote: The driver is under investigation. The police have a warrant to search his home for medical history. He did not look like someone who should be driving under any circumstances. He was a P driver and under the influence of something.
Could still be an innocent explanation - e.g. first ever diabetic or epileptic seizure. Was the driver transported to hospital ? If someone who'd suffered a seizure or blackout refused transport to hospital via ambulance (i.e. medical treatment), it might raise suspicions they are covering up some negligence on their part. With someone in a critical condition, the police have to investigate all options and hopefully will get to the bottom of it. IIRC, due to the injuries to the cyclist, the police should also be taking blood samples from the driver to test for drugs etc.,. and taking him to hospital at least for that.

It's terrible to hear the cyclist is so badly injured - and it must be devastating for his family, friends and riding buddies to have this just before Xmas. Best wishes for his recovery - and if there is anything that we can do to help, let us know.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:59 pm

il padrone wrote:Mum was hospitalised and recovered a bit but further hemorrages led to her passing away. RIP. This was 15 years ago now, so it's not so sad any more.
I'm sorry it went that way.
il padrone wrote:There was no reason to expect this sort of thing to happen, it just does to some people. This driver may have suffered a similar condition.
Seizures can come completely out of the blue. You don't have to have a history of epilepsy to seize. I had a couple of seizures a wee while ago, what used to be called grand mal, now more accurately known as tonic-clonic or occasionally myoclonic - two different kinds but similar results. The the first of them came on when I was just wandering around Bunnings, as you do. Frightened the bejasus out of my wife when it happened.

The thing is you don't necessarily know it's happening until its happened, kind of thing. As often as not you lose consciousness without the benefit of a prodrome that would at least give you the chance to pull over and put the handbrake on. If the driver in this case is diagnosed with epilepsy he'll lose his licence for a minimum of two years.

As you say, sometimes !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happens and there's nothing you can do about it.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:08 am

All the best for his recovery, it was a very scary story, sounds horrific. Its posts like these that remind me of how mortal I really am, and its good to be reminded every now and then.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:50 am

wombatK wrote:
ni78ck wrote: The driver is under investigation. The police have a warrant to search his home for medical history. He did not look like someone who should be driving under any circumstances. He was a P driver and under the influence of something.
Could still be an innocent explanation - e.g. first ever diabetic or epileptic seizure. Was the driver transported to hospital ? If someone who'd suffered a seizure or blackout refused transport to hospital via ambulance (i.e. medical treatment), it might raise suspicions they are covering up some negligence on their part. With someone in a critical condition, the police have to investigate all options and hopefully will get to the bottom of it. IIRC, due to the injuries to the cyclist, the police should also be taking blood samples from the driver to test for drugs etc.,. and taking him to hospital at least for that.

It's terrible to hear the cyclist is so badly injured - and it must be devastating for his family, friends and riding buddies to have this just before Xmas. Best wishes for his recovery - and if there is anything that we can do to help, let us know.

Cheers
yes the driver was taken to hospital. he was unaware of what he had done.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Wow, thats terrible. I sincerely hope the cyclist makes a full recovery.

I do feel for the driver as well, if its a case of an 'accident'. Or if it was a bad decision by the driver, I hope he/she has learnt how sometimes the smallest mistake can turn into the biggest regrets.
I remember leaving school and some other guys my age used to drink/drive or speed all the time when they first got their licences. They never crashed or hurt anyone, somehow. Then one day we heard a girl in our grade was killed when she looked down to change songs on the cd player while driving. Sometimes lifes not fair. (Those guys woke up to themselves eventually and im sure are grateful they didnt have to learn lessons the hard way).

But i digress. Best wishes and good luck to the guy in hospital and hope you can sleep easily knowing you did all you could to help.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:41 pm

really sorry to hear about your mate, Nick. wishing him all the best for a full recovery. these posts always make for a sober pause to reflect on matters.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:51 pm

London Boy wrote:As you say, sometimes showtime happens and there's nothing you can do about it.
Yes, that is true. A guy at church had a series of them and was off work for awhile. The first was nowhere near a car fortunately.

I also saw a guy on a motorbike have a fit a few car lengths ahead of me one night at Spit Junction traffic lights while I was driving home from work. It looked kinda funny in a slapstick way :oops: , but bloody hell it was a near thing. :shock: If it had been even a few seconds later, after the light turned green and we were on our way down to Spit Bridge, it could have been a *very* different result. Fortunately he just toppled off the bike sideways to the right and the bike (a big BMW touring bike) didn't dart off. The traffic just waited and didn't move until he stopped convulsing, which i thought was good. Some peds seemed to have it under control so I didn't stop to assist.

You'd like to assume that the OP's crash was the first time the driver's had a siezure, but it's always worth checking.

Any further news on your pal, FT?

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:30 pm

To add that seizure (fit) can come in many forms. Some may not have obvious jerky movements.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Max

Cyclist run over

Postby Max » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:55 pm

sogood wrote:To add that seizure (fit) can come in many forms. Some may not have obvious jerky movements.
Indeed. My partner has absence seizures. They can be subtle enough that people don't even realise she's having one. First diagnosed after having a seizure at the wheel, causing a head-on. The other people were unhurt. She had a broken collarbone. How she survived it, I'll never know.

To the OP, I wish your friend a full and speedy recovery.

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:53 am

horrible to hear :( i cant even to begin to imagine being in that situation.

all the best for a speedy recovery to your friend. (as speedy as it can be at least).

seizures can be nasty and come out of nowhere. i had 2 in august for no particular reason - just blacked out and drove up a gutter :shock: all tests were negative and its never happened again thank god. i hope the driver is ok as well if it was a seizure while driving.
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

philip

Postby philip » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:13 pm

gee nick, just read this, terrible situation, I hope your mate is doing ok. Hope yourself and other riders that witnessed it are ok as well, that is not something you want to witness. Let us know how your mate is doing.

timmcc

Postby timmcc » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Devastating - my thoughts are with you all guys

Hope everyone pulls through ok

Tim