Conversion or new Ebike - The Answer

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Conversion or new Ebike - The Answer

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:07 am

I was at Sydney Electric Bikes in Pyrmont last week and the owner was kind enough to take time and provide a nice overview of the state of eBikes in Australia and opportunities. They are doing a lot of conversions, and ride themself.

I would like to share some valuable information for new buyers considering some of the poor quality bikes now on the markt. Conversions are the cheapest option and while that may sound obvious, for a new buyer trying to buy cheap - it may be better to get a cheap but reliable bike and a good quality conversion kit rather than a cheap (and nasty) electric bike.

Now you don't have to do the conversion yourself - so I recommend visiting some ebike shops (that stock more than one brand), get an idea of what you really need and with the competent advice you are better prepared and can spend your money more wisely.
Cycling is in my BNA

Nobody

Re: Conversion or new Ebike - The Answer

Postby Nobody » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:17 am

Another advantage I can see is that you don't have to have the upright "wind-sock" position of the average electric bike. If nothing else, you should be able to save some battery power on the flats as you have more chance of getting to/over 25 Km/h.

tekkaman

Postby tekkaman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on a shop in Melbourne which does conversions and offers a good range?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Sorry, can't help you for Melbourne.
Maybe some of the Melbournites can help, google alone gives you (at least for me own quick search) shops with their own (single) brand. Spotted this thread here which may help.

I have been told that the BionX is the best conversion kit available... though in Australia a little hard to get, however this may change soon as a new distributer has started up. However, don't take my word for it... but do choose wisely.
Cycling is in my BNA

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:19 pm

tekkaman wrote:Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on a shop in Melbourne which does conversions and offers a good range?
I've had good dealings with the Greenspeed crowd in Melbourne. Whilst they manufacture recumbent trikes, they also build wheels with hub e-motors. I've had two done, one I installed myself, the other I had them do when they built the trike.

I'm not sure about the different types of motors available, but from the website here are a couple of examples.

I've got two Heinzmanns 200/400watts and they've been brilliant.

On a 26" wheel:

and a 16" wheel

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:33 pm

I bought my first kit from EVS in Melbourne. They're a good crowd that have been around for ages. Here's their website.

http://www.currietech.com.au/

Cachexian
Scott Sub 40 with 200W, 36v Ezee geared front hub motor
and...
Trek Madonne 3.1 driven by left leg and right leg

ChrisRider

Postby ChrisRider » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:56 pm

I recommend a New e bike, rather then conversion.

With conversions they can sometimes ruin or devalue your original bicycle.

Also, the batteries for conversions are chunky and heavy, and do not match with your old regular bicycle.

The other thing is, if you buy a new bike, then you have 2 bikes of value.

If you convert your bike, you only have 1 bike and of less value.
Resident Electric Bikes Engineer at Reef Bikes