Re: Post Your Ride

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:51 am

93360 wrote:Measurements off my bike:

XC Fit
Standover Height Range 31.4 - 32.1 inches [29", not really important?]
Virtual Top Tube Length 22.9 - 23.3 inches [46cm/18"...?]
Stem Length 9.6 - 11.2 cm [11cm, so about normal]
BB-Saddle Position 72.5 - 74.0cm [69cm, a bit shorter..]
Saddle-Handlebar 52.8 - 54.4 cm [47cm, so my COG is further forward on the bike to account for the afformentioned hills]

It may also be of interest that my crank arms are 180mm.

What's it all mean? Should I be sitting a lot further back and a bit higher? With my current saddle position I'm just about already standing with my legs straight up when I have my heels on the pedal and although my arms could still reach a bit longer if needed I find that it currently allows me a comfortable bent arm position when pedalling upright and also works well when I'm pedalling over the handlebars.
So you are riding a small or extra small frame when you should be riding a medium. Your saddle is too far forward and your cranks are too long. Ride what you want. Just some things to think about.
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... lator.html

Postby 93360 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:56 pm

Nobody wrote:So you are riding a small or extra small frame when you should be riding a medium. Your saddle is too far forward and your cranks are too long. Ride what you want. Just some things to think about.
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... lator.html
Actually used this when choosing my frame size:
http://www.ebicycles.com/index.php
Thought a 17" frame was kinda considered a medium size frame for mountain bikes? i'll be trying on another saddle on the weekend so will see what's what.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:22 pm

[quote="93360"]I used the calculator and got the correct result for seat tube length. Did you get that measurement and apply it to the top tube length instead? I got a result of 18"/46cm, which is your bike's ETT. I'm 173cm, 81 inner leg and my ideal average ETT is 57.7cm. My 18"/46cm frame (medium) has an ETT of 58cm. If you measure your bike's seat tube length, I think you'll find it is quite a small MTB frame. You could always sell your frame on eBay and buy another on eBay that is the correct size for fit. Shouldn't cost you much, if anything. My frame (pictured above) cost me $30 on eBay, but needed another derailleur hanger which I think cost another $30. Still cheap.

panda1971

Postby panda1971 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:43 pm

your effective top tube measurement is a horizontal line from the centre of the head tube to a point in the centre of your seat post , so the tape is parallel to the ground, actual top tube is the actual length of the top tube from centre of head tube to centre of seat tube at the junction of the top tube,i just used that ebicycles link to work out my saddle height, bugger me if i can get it figured, it gave me a seat height of 80cm from centre of bottom bracket which is fine, but my inside leg is only 81cm, oh and going by the website you listed it is the actual seat tube length that is 18" which makes it a medium, or very close to it depending on branding

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:55 pm

I wouldn't use their saddle height calculator. It gives too high a saddle height IMO. Better to use the CC calculator below. Bit more involved but gives a more accurate result IMO.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO
More on saddle height:
http://www.ecovelo.info/2008/10/16/more ... le-height/

panda1971

Postby panda1971 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Nobody wrote:I wouldn't use their saddle height calculator. It gives too high a saddle height IMO. Better to use the CC calculator below. Bit more involved but gives a more accurate result IMO.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO
More on saddle height:
http://www.ecovelo.info/2008/10/16/more ... le-height/
yep i do, saddle height for me is 712mm or 71.2cm, im just highlighting what they quoted me

Postby 93360 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Just redid the measurements for the fit calculator because I may have been wearing sandals before lol. Also double checked measurement of the bike with the only real difference being the virtual top tube actually being about 2" longer:

Inseam 79 cm
Trunk 59 cm
Forearm 35 cm
Arm 65 cm
Thigh 58 cm
Lower Leg 52 cm
Sternal Notch 137 cm
Total Body Height 169 cm

Standover Height Range 29.6 - 30.2 inches (29", so just under..?)
Virtual Top Tube Length 23.1 - 23.5 inches (20", ???)
Stem Length 9.2 - 10.8 cm (11cm)
BB-Saddle Position 68.1 - 69.6cm (68cm, about right)
Saddle-Handlebar 52.3 - 53.9 cm (47cm, still futher forward)

However when I do that 'knee over pedal spindle' measurement my knees are actually perpendicularly above the pedal spindles.. my guess is I actually sit really far back on my saddle where it's the most cushiony.

Also using the ebicycles calculators I get:
Mountain Bike Frame 17.5"/45cm (More sizes to consider: 17", 17.5", 18" / 43cm, 44cm, 45cm, 46cm)
Crank Sizes 175 mm
Set Saddle Height to 34" (86 cm) - bike measures to 86cm

Regarding the frame and it's size the chart (http://www.ebicycles.com/custom/content ... -bikes.pdf) indicates that it's the right size for my height and it also took me a while to find an alumium alloy frame like this for me to build up on so there are no plans to replace it any time soon.

Going back to the saddle the positioning of it may well change when I change saddles this weekend so will update that when it happens.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:13 pm

My old one, now under the bum of my young one. Sheesh, they grow them big these days. :roll: Oh, that's me, innit? :oops:

Postby 93360 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:04 pm

93360 wrote: Saddle-Handlebar 52.3 - 53.9 cm (47cm, still futher forward)

However when I do that 'knee over pedal spindle' measurement my knees are actually perpendicularly above the pedal spindles.. my guess is I actually sit really far back on my saddle where it's the most cushiony.
Going back to the saddle the positioning of it may well change when I change saddles this weekend so will update that when it happens.
So I replaced my slightly too small/slightly too hard stock saddle today with a selle italia 'max gel flow', installed it about as far forward as it will go but didn't change anything else so all other 'fit measurements' should stay the same. In this position my knees are still perpendicularly over the pedal spindles so I'm still sitting in a similar position relative to my bike although now the "Saddle-Handlebar" measurement is 51cm compared to 47cm before. I guess the old saddle was just really shite in terms of comfort..

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:51 pm

How are the knees going? Still good?

Postby 93360 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:23 pm

trailgumby wrote:How are the knees going? Still good?
Actually moved my saddle a little more forward again so that the "Saddle-Handlebar" measurement is now 50cm. Did my longest ride to date yesterday and still no knee complaints. Same can't be said for my left elbow though viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44473&p=716877#p716877. If anything I still need to get a a better saddle, the new one is a lot better than the old stock saddle but the sit bones start complaining around the 55km mark and putting the power down becomes more uncomfortable to a point when I can only gently pedal back home while trying to avoid as many climbs as possible.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Urrgh, yes, I get the dreaded tennis elbow using cheapo shifters.

I've upgraded my son's bike to X-9 shifters and went to Shimano Dual Control myself to get us away from the problem.

It was worse on the left elbow (front DR) shifter because of the amount of force required and the range of movement. The new XT Dynasys 10-speed seems to be a dramatic improvement. Much less effort required, lesser range, so I hopefully won't have the same concerns when I eventually go to a 10-speed rear.

Postby 93360 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:46 pm

lol my elbow complaint isn't so much to do with the shifter, rather the disagreement my skin has with rubbing up against footpath pavement :wink:
that said I will be upgrading my shifters along with my chainset and cassette (8 speed to 9) hopefully before the holidays.

panda1971

Postby panda1971 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:37 pm

panda1971 wrote:Image
  • XT drivetrain and brakes, and slx cranks, fox f 120 rlc fit forks, on one bars and post, selle italia saddle, conti race king ust tyres and mavic crossmax st wheelset
and here is the other beast Image

lucifuge

Postby lucifuge » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:11 pm

1. Mountain bike #1. Giant Anthem X1 (2009)

- full Shimano XTR groupset
- carbon fibre goodies
- tubeless setup

2. Mountain bike #2. Trek Rig (singlespeed 29er) (2011)

- updated brakes; Avid Elixir 5.
- tubeless setup
- gear ratio 32/20 (from 32/18)

Kenzo

Post Your Ride

Postby Kenzo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:49 pm

lucifuge wrote:2. Mountain bike #2. Trek Rig (singlespeed 29er) (2011)

- updated brakes; Avid Elixir 5.
- tubeless setup
- gear ratio 32/20 (from 32/18)

Looks like a lot of slack in the chain. May way to sort it out before it results in a dropped chain and injury. Nice looking bike BTW.

SlipR35

Postby SlipR35 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Santa dropped off a Look 920, Shimano XTR:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Oh Mah Gward!!! That thing is the BOMB!!!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:44 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Oh Mah Gward!!! That thing is the BOMB!!!
Indeed. Very nice. Where's the drool emoticon?

Ah, here we are: Image

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Here's the hardtail after getting the fork travel fixed (thankyou RLC Sport ! :D ):

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:29 pm

trailgumby wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Oh Mah Gward!!! That thing is the BOMB!!!
Indeed. Very nice. Where's the drool emoticon?

Ah, here we are: Image

If Santa bought me that I would also being that Image

Followed by some of this Image

SlipR35

Postby SlipR35 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Had the 920 out twice yesterday, did a road ride this morning and then took the 920 out again this afternoon, beautiful bike !!

Postby 93360 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:38 am

Not much of a looker compared to that 920 but here's my upgraded bike from a month ago:

I basically picked parts that would give good quality/durabilty/performace that were also good value for money and used this opportunity to try and build a bike from scratch after a good clean (almost, didn't disassemble/reinstall forks due to star nut).

New parts:
Shimano Deore Cassette 9 Speed HG61 11T-34T
Shimano Deore Chainset 9sp M590 175mm 4-Bolt 26.36.48 Silver
Shimano Deore Rear Mech Shadow 9sp M592 SGS - Long Cage - Black
Shimano Deore Front Mech Conventional 9sp M591 Black 31.8/34.9mm Dual Pull - 44/48
Shimano Dura-Ace/XTR Chain 9 Speed 7701
Shimano Deore STI Shifters M590 - V-Brake Pair F&R
Shimano Gear Cable Set Pair - Black
Shimano Brake Cable Set Pair - Black
Selle Italia Max Gel Flow Saddle
SKS Slidecage Bottle Cage Black
SKS Topcage Bottle Cage Black
SKS Race Bag XS
Topeak Tri DryBag
Fibre Flare Lights - Rear Shorty -Trail Light Red- Flexible Fibre Optic Core

Existing parts:
Shimano MT15 Centre-Lock Disc Specific Wheel Pair
Shimano XT/Saint Rotors 160mm Centerlock RT79
Avid BB7 Disc Brake Calipers Pair F&R
Schwalbe 26" Marathon Plus Tyres - Smart Guard 26 x 1.50 Wire Black Reflective
Schwalbe Tubes 26 x 1.5-2.5 Presta
Ergon Grips GS3 - Large - Black
Ergon Pedals PC2 - Large - Black
LED Lenser P7 Torch and Mount
Ultimate Addons Waterproof Mobile Phone Case and Mount
Crank Brothers Mini Power Pump Alloy Gold/Black 283mm - 130psi

Had a bit of a dilemma when replacing the original top swing front derailleur with the new conventional unit as the bottle cage mounts on the seat tube were preventing the derailleur from being mounted any lower and at the time caused it to be installed too high. However I realised that there was a tab on the D34.9->D31.8mm shim that could be cut off and thus allowed installation to continue saving a whole lot of headache on returns/swap to a top swing unit. Also the bottle cage I chose just happened to be designed in such a way that it's mounting stands were tall enough to clear over the clamp ring of the derailleur :D

I didn't have an outer cable casing cutter so was a bit tentative with only using a dremel/cut off disc but probably ended up doing a better job since the housing didn't need to be uncrushed and most of the cuts only required some light filing before inserting the end caps. With some extra attention the new cable housing is now much shorter, operates super smooth and is more aesthetically pleasing than the original setup which was too long, had noticable friction and looked a bit messy 8)

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Norco version 3:

Cracked Manitou Axel fork replaced with a cheapie: SR-Suntour XCR-RL from ebay. I was all set on getting a good quality replacement for the sweet, supple, implausibly lightweight Axel but fell at the final hurdle because...Mulger bill sold me his Avid Elixir 5's and they are sweeeeeeeeeet. I have a mate with a Suntour fork that came OEM on his Giant and it works fine so I was fairly confident the XCR would work.

When the four mountain bikers of the apocalypse appear on the horizon, they will be palping dual hydros and grinning with evil delight. I am having trouble describing just how lovely these brakes are compared to the shimano LX hydro / cable disk rear I was using. For starters the brakes are now on the right side, secondly the hydro on the back is just that much nicer under your hand and brakes consistantly with the front.

The fork isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be - it weighs about the same as the Manitou, not quite as supple but it works well enough (and is far more rigid). It has the BIGGEST lawyer tabs I've ever seen which mean you've got to dismantle the QR just to get the wheel out, but I don't care. I'm stoked to have my MTB back, if the fork turns out to be a bit rubbish I've got another frame which I can put it into before I get around to a rock shox or whatever.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Really glad you're enjoying the 5s Drubie. Tho' the Elixir CRs that replaced them are another level of modulation and feel again 8)

Is that a remote lockout on the Suntour? Nice :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011