Stage 2 Richlands/S.field Cycle Group Info Session Dec 14

The 2nd Womble

Stage 2 Richlands/S.field Cycle Group Info Session Dec 14

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 am

Star Alliance is struggling to find cycling groups and individuals to attend this meeting tommorow night so I am putting the word out on their behalf in case anyone living in the area is keen. The Forest lake and Springfield riders groups/BUG's will also be attending.
The purpose of this session is to find safe alternative commuting routes for cyclists while construction along the Springfield corridor is being underatken. So if any Springfield?Camira-ish riders want to have some input, we'll see you there.

Dear Dave and Katrina Sharp

You are invited to attend an information session on proposed access changes along the Centenary Highway between Garden Road, Richlands and Augusta Parkway, Springfield during construction of the Stage 2 Richlands to Springfield Project.

We are seeking feedback from local cycle groups who use the Centenary Highway to ride between Augusta Parkway, Springfield and Progress Road, Richlands.

We encourage you to attend the information session which will be held at the following location:

Where: TrackStar Alliance site office – Corner of Garden and Progress Road, Richlands
When: Wednesday, 14 December 2011
Time: 6.00pm–7.30pm
(Please see attached map for directions)

Please RSVP by Tuesday, 13 December 2011 via email or the project hotline on 1800 067 684.

Light refreshments will be provided at the session.

We look forward to hearing from you, and hope to see you there.

Many thanks,

Brad Jackson
Alliance Manager
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Re: Stage 2 Richlands/S.field Cycle Group Info Session Dec 1

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Theres food :?

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:15 pm

so what happened? I wish I had seen this before the event

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:27 pm

damn it. just saw this too. am interested in the results

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi guys. We'll be posting the details on the Centenary diversion for cyclists in the next couple of days. Apparently it has to be approved by both TMR and (?) BQ. I don't understand it either as they didn't even bother attending. Anyway, all the info will be available ASAP

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:47 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Hi guys. We'll be posting the details on the Centenary diversion for cyclists in the next couple of days. Apparently it has to be approved by both TMR and (?) BQ. I don't understand it either as they didn't even bother attending. Anyway, all the info will be available ASAP
great, looking forward to it

smoran

Postby smoran » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Has there been any more info - are you able to post it?

I notice there is a sign (on the motorway) at Richlands asking cyclists to ring a 1800 number. Is it about this?

ilister

Postby ilister » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 am

There is a bit of information and a rough map on the CBD BUG web site:

http://www.cbdbug.org.au/2012/01/centen ... e-closure/

BQ tells us the detour was "designed in consultation with" the springfield riders group, and that local groups didn't raise any objection to the closure (implying they were consulted too). The first we'd heard of it was when BCC notified us a few days ago.

smoran

Postby smoran » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks Ian - I'm riding in tomorrow so I'll see if if a) its closed already and b) go the detour from Roxwell St. I can give a quick 20 sec report at the BUG next wed if you want.

Mind you I think there isn't more than a handful of people who ride from there to the CBD so no one else probably cares :-)

Did the BCC give any timeframes /dates for the closure and how long?

ilister

Postby ilister » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:35 pm

BCC is not directly involved and didn't give us anything more than is already on the web page above.
I've been trying to call Trackstar but I'm currently in a very different timezone, so haven't managed to find a suitable time to get onto them. I've sent them an email in the meantime, so will hopefully have some more to report soon.
If you can give us a quick report at the BUG meeting next week and/or any observations by email prior that would be helpful, thanks.

smoran

Postby smoran » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Forgot you posted a phone number.

Just got off the phone from a very helpful lady - turns out that the cyclepaths are not going to be closed - only the ability for cyclists to ride on the highway itself. This is due to safety concerns because of the reduced road shoulder whilst they build the bridge. This will be an impact really only to people who ride on the highway to/from springfield.

This will start from Monday (23rd Jan) and be 'closed' for the rest of the year.

So again - if you ride on the cyclepath - we have nothing to worry about :-)

ilister

Postby ilister » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Phew, glad to hear this won't be as big an issue for you as it seemed at first.
I've now made the ‘not’ bold to try to draw attention to the fact that the bike path constructed during the first stage isn't being closed. (And I've added some links, too).
It's also worth noting that, like the first stage, this second stage will include construction of a bike path (connecting down to Springfield), so things should be a lot better (and smoother!) once it's all done (scheduled for some time next year, based on what's publicly available).

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Sorry folks. They only sent me the email today :(

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:49 pm

are we meant to ride on the highway anyway?

I sent an email asking about removing glass form the centenary extension got this reply-
I have liaised with Dept of Main Roads and they have advised me that although this road is used it has not been approved by Main Roads for official cyclist use. This means that unfortuntely it is not routinely maintained by Main Roads sweeping crews. They have advised that cyclists use this stretch of bikeway fundamentally at their own risk as it hasn't been officially approved for bikeway use.
This was from Ipswich Council