Tinkering with bike upgrades - any affect on warranty?

podoco

Postby podoco » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:51 pm

I have a stock bike that has lifetime warranty on the frame. If I start tinkering with upgrades (eg going from SRAM to Shimano components), does this void warranty in any way? What's the general rule in this case? Do manufacturers have a clause to say warranty is only honoured if the bike is worked on by authorised dealers/mechanics only?

mmhbeer

Re: Tinkering with bike upgrades - any affect on warranty?

Postby mmhbeer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Im not sure why you would want to go from SRAM back to Shimano. If your frame/fork failed as a result of you changing things they might try to get out of it. eg if you changed stem and over torqued a carbon steerer and caused a failure.

A bikes a very simple machine. The chances of voiding a warranty would be near zero if your competent on the spanners.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Pretty sure the Trek warranty says if any part of the original specs are changed the warranty is void. Have never checked any other brands or even my own Giant to be honest. Other brands may say if an authorised dealer/mechanic doesn't install the new part then warranty may be void. Really it depends on the brand and even then might need some legal interpretation.
Trek website wrote:.......
This warranty is void in its entirety by any modification of the frame, fork, or components.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

TDC

Postby TDC » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:09 pm

mmhbeer wrote:Im not sure why you would want to go from SRAM back to Shimano.
This may surprise you, but some of us think
shimano is ok. :shock:

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:17 pm

TDC wrote:
mmhbeer wrote:Im not sure why you would want to go from SRAM back to Shimano.
This may surprise you, but some of us think
shimano is ok. :shock:
And it may surprise people further, that there are people who think SRAM is crap. :o :shock:

podoco

Postby podoco » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:44 pm

Re: SRAM vs Shimano, I was merely giving an example of switching the components. By 'upgrade', obviously this would be a higher end group set. (no point switching manufacturer just to get the same level componentry).

As for the Trek warranty, when you say this type of work voids warranty, does that apply to the frame warranty?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:56 am

1. Read the warranty.
2. Ask the shop and/or Trek representative.
3. Consult a Lawyer.

I could tell you that changing parts will have no effect on your frames warranty if that is what you what to hear. After all, if you read it on a forum it must be true.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Yeap best to ask an authorised dealer and even get it in writing if they say everything will be fine. The Trek stories that did the rounds on the net were where somewhere snapped their carbon steerer tube and when returned to Trek they wouldn't warrant it as the bontrager stem had been changed to another brand. Truth of the story......I have no idea hence best talk to your local dealer about whatever brand you are buying.

podoco

Postby podoco » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I thought this would be a clear cut answer that people generally knew, given all the upgrades people on this forum and other forums seem to do to their bikes themselves.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:11 pm

I usually buy frame sets instead of complete bikes... I never have issues with what I fit... Have had a few replaced under warranty as well.
If you stuff up fitting something mechanical it is pretty obvious.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:21 pm

In the Trek case (if it is the case) I daresay its more a scare tactic to get buyers to purchase Bontrager upgrade parts instead of competing brands and always have then installed at a Trek dealer to keep the $ flowing.

For me that really would have the opposite effect in that I wouldn't buy a Trek bike nor Bontrager products for the exact reason.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:29 am

HAKS wrote:In the Trek case (if it is the case) I daresay its more a scare tactic to get buyers to purchase Bontrager upgrade parts instead of competing brands and always have then installed at a Trek dealer to keep the $ flowing.

For me that really would have the opposite effect in that I wouldn't buy a Trek bike nor Bontrager products for the exact reason.
I have had two Treks replaced under warranty without any issues, all with different parts to what was fitted on the bike when I got it. First to go was the awful Bontrager wheels and handlebars.

If they really wanted to be pedantic, you could argue that even replacing the chain voids the warranty. In reality, getting warranty service is pretty easy. The bike shop just takes a photo of the broken part and Trek approves a replacement. The two times I have used it I have had no issues. Depite only the frame being covered, the first time I got a whole new bike except for the wheels. The second time I got a whole new bike!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:08 pm

queequeg wrote:
HAKS wrote:In the Trek case (if it is the case) I daresay its more a scare tactic to get buyers to purchase Bontrager upgrade parts instead of competing brands and always have then installed at a Trek dealer to keep the $ flowing.

I have had two Treks replaced under warranty without any issues, all with different parts to what was fitted on the bike when I got it. First to go was the awful Bontrager wheels and handlebars.

If they really wanted to be pedantic, you could argue that even replacing the chain voids the warranty. In reality, getting warranty service is pretty easy. The bike shop just takes a photo of the broken part and Trek approves a replacement. The two times I have used it I have had no issues. Depite only the frame being covered, the first time I got a whole new bike except for the wheels. The second time I got a whole new bike!
Good to know :). I figured that would likely be the case but every now and then you might get the pedantic one that says no.

However the fact you've had 2 replacements raises some questions :P

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:11 pm

HAKS wrote:
queequeg wrote: I have had two Treks replaced under warranty without any issues, all with different parts to what was fitted on the bike when I got it. First to go was the awful Bontrager wheels and handlebars.

Good to know :). I figured that would likely be the case but every now and then you might get the pedantic one that says no.

However the fact you've had 2 replacements raises some questions :P
Apparently (according to the bike shop), I was just incredibly unlucky. Same failure on both frames, different year model but same frame design. First frame was a clean break right through the seat tube. Second frame (the warranty frame for the first one) was a hairline crack in exactly the same place, replaced again before it could break all the way through. I was actually very impressed they replaced the second one no questions asked, as I took it to the bike shop to simply ask their opinion. It was a white frame, and I took it in and said "is that a crack or just a scratch in the paintwork?", and they said "Nope, definitely a crack, we'll get it photographed now and the paperwork done". They called me the first business day after I showed them, and said "Trek says new bike, we'll call you when it is in and we'll do a swap".

Whether I was "just unlucky" is hard to say. Trek does not exactly release details on how many failures they get. My theory is that the frames are not built for doing 10,000km+ per year and any weak spots in the frame tubing will be exposed with high usage. Perhaps Trek figures that not too many people will be doing those kinds of distances.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:27 pm

re: warranties. the important thing to note is that there are 2 types:
1. warranty offered by supplier. AFAIK, they can stipulate whatever they like in their own warranty - including that you must wear pink g-strings 365 days a year in order for it to remain valid. it's freedom of contract - if you agree to buy the product, you are agreeing to their terms. however...
2. warranty under Australian Consumer Law. this one is a statutory warranty, based around the product being 'fit for purpose'. this is completely separate to supplier warranties and provides consumers with the right to hold suppliers liable for products that fail to meet advertised or otherwise reasonable standards. under this type of warranty, the supplier would have to show that the warranty claim was somehow influenced by your modification. say, if you fitted solid steel tyres, they'd probably have a case if the frame cracked. but otherwise..

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Lifetime warranty on the frame. I can't see how they can expect original components to last a lifetime. So yes, frame exists independently.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.