Cages which don't drop bottles?

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:07 am

Hey guys, I bought a turbo wing for my bike, and wasn't sure what cages you guys use to stop bottles from launching. The x-lab gorilla cages are out of the question (simply due to the god-awful price), and I know there's got to be a cheaper alternative out there..
What are these salesmen peddling?

Richard.L

Re: Cages which don't drop bottles?

Postby Richard.L » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:29 am

Elite Custom Cage comes in all sorts of colours to match any bike

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 am

Might be the bottle? I have Camelbak bottles and FSA Carbon cages and never had a problem.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks for the replies guys; I ended up ordering X-lab P-cages from chain reaction. Free shipping for Christmas! I'll let you know how they go..

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Topeak plastic bottle cages, or their copies. I got mine from KOM Cyclery... but sadly they closed their doors this week.

If my drink bottle satyed but when I crashed and busted my collarbone, I'd suggest it's unlikely to come out in normal use. :D

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:21 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Hey guys, I bought a turbo wing for my bike, and wasn't sure what cages you guys use to stop bottles from launching. The x-lab gorilla cages are out of the question (simply due to the god-awful price), and I know there's got to be a cheaper alternative out there..
Sounds like you sorted it out - the Pro-Lite cages have a plastic gripper in them (which is removable) - with the gripper fitted, you can do a backflip on your bike with a 800ml bottle and not loose it - we tested it.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:39 pm

+1 for the fibre glass elites. I use 1 litre water bottles (in the hot weather) and they hold them fine, plus they are as cheap as chips, and colors++.
Why anyone spends big bucks on carbon bidons is beyond me. Maybe they don't have a mortgage or retirement plan.

It's also a good idea to use loctite or similar on your bidon bolts. Stops them from coming loose.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:51 pm

Ahh.. first day out on the x-lab wing, and i hated it. Time to sell already :/

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 pm

I asked the same question on here a while ago and someone put me onto the elite cages already mentioned. Work really well with camelbak bottles.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Wayfarer

Not sure if you're running aero bars or not but a better alternative to bottles behind the seat (making them more prone to launching) is to mount one on the seat tube (apparently ok in an aero sense) and the other between your elbows.

I run a king cage top cap mount and it's superb. Pulls the bottle in tight to to your torso making it easy to access, out of the wind and un-launchable..

See here: http://trainingdad.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... on-system/