Commuter Cup Racing

Comedian

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:38 pm

the grid wrote:Blew off at least 5 of those pink beach cruisers today heading north through Surfers...haha
Did their riders have shaved legs?

I doubt it will help your score but I'm just interested. :)

the grid

Postby the grid » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Very brown shaved legs .... the one good thing about riding on the coast

Comedian

Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:12 pm

the grid wrote:Very brown shaved legs .... the one good thing about riding on the coast
Noice! :mrgreen: still no points for you though :(

the grid

Postby the grid » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Comedian wrote:
the grid wrote:Very brown shaved legs .... the one good thing about riding on the coast
Noice! :mrgreen: still no points for you though :(
Thats ok I got other sort of points...

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:32 am

Had some fun with a MAMIL this morning. He was riding a brand spanking new Colnago too.

Apparently, I was supposed to just sit behind him while he slowed down in front of me... having struggled to pass me.

Do racks & mudguards make MAMILs angry or something? He called me a name as I went past. :lol:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:05 pm

rkelsen wrote:Had some fun with a MAMIL this morning. He was riding a brand spanking new Colnago too.

Apparently, I was supposed to just sit behind him while he slowed down in front of me... having struggled to pass me.

Do racks & mudguards make MAMILs angry or something? He called me a name as I went past. :lol:
That's points! :mrgreen:

Where was he on the tree?

tkhoo

Postby tkhoo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:00 am

I know you're out there...

Coming home from Parramatta, picked a big MTB bloke. He managed to sneak past me coming up from the Parramatta Park through Westmead, I got my spot back as we headed across Cumberland Highway. I was moving reasonably quick (he COULD NOT relax to keep up), but it was supposed to be a rest day, so I was picking a lower gear than I would otherwise pick... anyways, I come up to Doig St and decided to get into the drops and make it happen, with the intention of burying him up to the Tway.

For the second time, a younger skinny bloke came from somewhere, and was sucking my wheel as I launched nuclear assault at this climb. It was almost comical, my glasses mirror is on my bad eye so I can't see great through it, so it took a couple takes to realise I've got the young gun on my tail. Anyways, I've powered up the climb in the big ring, then snuck around the hairpin and back into it... I didn't push myself super hard down the hill, but the loud freehub noise once or twice made sure I knew he was sucking my wheel pretty hard. I didn't hear it often though

Picked up a light at the bottom, went screaming down that access road next to Windsor, and could still hear the bloke charging behind me as we parted ways under the bridge.
Thought this was me briefly... :oops:

Young? ish
Skinny? ish
Wheel sucker? Definitely
Loud freewheel? Yes
CCR afficionado? Absolutely

BUT

My turn off is at the top of the hill at Hammers Rd...

Whew...

I'm pretty sure I have seen you around though?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Probably have ;) I only go home that way for a rest, the more direct route needs FRESH legs if I'm going fast (17 minutes from my house in Seven Hills to my building in Parramatta). I'm neither Lance nor Cadel nor Schleck nor even the bloke getting dropped by the peleton so I need the easier run home hehehe

I don't remember seeing many Asian blokes on my commute? Reminds me, I've got to hook up a ride with a friend soon!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Comedian wrote:That's points! :mrgreen:

Where was he on the tree?
W00t! How many points do I get?

His lycra matched the paintwork on his bike, and his shoes were as white as his bar tape. His freewheel sounded like a pack of angry bees. :lol:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:26 am

had a good one this morning on the kew boulie. gentleman on a flat bar came past me just past the roundabout, citybound. i wasn't going flat out, just riding tempo but i picked it up a bit and couldn't bridge to him. however, there's a few hills towards the abbotsford end and i noticed that he was struggling up those, out of the seat. i thought to myself - now it's on like donkey kong :twisted:

in the end i passed him easily just before i turned off before walmer st. if he's reading this, he'll probably clarify that he was just cruising along :)

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:58 am

Saw a rider at the other end of the straight on the M5 (just after the Camden Valley Way but before the Hume Hwy) so decided to see if I could catch him. Thi sstretch of road is a bit over a kilometre long so I had a fair bit of catching to do.
Finally caught up with him at the toll plaza when he noticed me sitting about 3m off his wheel. So he decides to up the pace a bit! dammit!

Not much further on I pulled along side him and we ended up having a chat all the way through to Belmore Rd, where I had to turn off.

I don't know why I punish myself like that considering this is my first ride in a while. Legs a feeling it big time now.
2010 BMC SLC01

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm

I was the rabbit this morning and by a fixie :( , gave chase but the ol legs just told me to sod off and went limp :( . Looked like a regular so I'm assuming (and hoping) we'll have a re-match soon :D
Happy Days

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Livetoride wrote:I was the rabbit this morning and by a fixie :( , gave chase but the ol legs just told me to sod off and went limp :( . Looked like a regular so I'm assuming (and hoping) we'll have a re-match soon :D
Instead of a gauntlet I should have thrown down a lace hanky :twisted: HTFU princess

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:48 pm

goneriding wrote:
Livetoride wrote:I was the rabbit this morning and by a fixie :( , gave chase but the ol legs just told me to sod off and went limp :( . Looked like a regular so I'm assuming (and hoping) we'll have a re-match soon :D
Instead of a gauntlet I should have thrown down a lace hanky :twisted: HTFU princess
ImageYup, not my proudest moment in cycling history :( :D
Happy Days

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Did think I was in for some CCR racing, but it turned out to be someone training. They made the mistake of overtaking me on a small downhill. They even gave a headcheck to make sure I wasn't behind them drafting. I was sitting back preparing for the biggest bump on my commute. A 10m climb at 3-4% Whilst not a steep hill it can give flat riders trouble.
They were on a Pinarello FP? in BMC kit, I was on my Masi, steel framed in commute setup... so at least 25kg heavier.
They made 2 mistakes
Slow cadence so not in the right gear
Changing gears on the bump.
I was in the correct gear sitting on 100 cadence so I flew past him. By the time I was on the other side of the bump he was 500m behind and didn't see him again.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:35 pm

i had a funny one yesterday. on my MTB coming up the hill on Yarra Blvd next to the golf course, i had just been passed on the downhill by a lycra warrior on carbon roadie. but he couldn't shake me on the uphill - kept peering back to see if i was still behind him, got out of the seat to accelerate, etc. i went past him at the top without even trying. he must have been a newbie.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:09 pm

another one yesterday. coming up a hill on the Kew Blvd, i was overtaken by a fit looking lycra clad rider on the usual carbon weapon. i let them go past as i was on my MTB, but then i noticed they weren't getting away and i thought - game on. i upped the pace, got past and stayed past.

cheapo aluminium MTB 1
carbon roadie 0

she didn't look to fussed about it though.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:22 am

First ride in about 2 weeks, great commute and had a short but quick race with a fella, pipped me at the post too, he was a good winner and didn't rub it in as I had challenged him as we took off from the lights.
Happy Days

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:22 am

I felt like the commuter cup live reporter yesterday.

End of season and silly season for me, so my only riding is commuting. Cruising along in shorts and a t-shirt enjoying the sun and not riding too hard. Listening to the Psychodelic Pod Cast from Marty Doyle, I was surprised (shocked) to find someone passing me on a very narrow little bridge leading to the Harbour Bridge. It is a stupid place to pass as it meets a blind 90 degree corner. If there was someone coming the other way (which is likely given the volume of traffic) it would have definitely resulted in a low speed crash. The bizarre thing was, this guy was in the drops and he kind of looked up at me and grinned as he went by. My shock was surplanted by someone seemingly abusing me from behind. I looked behind, two riders back ‘Sorry what was that?’, ‘Not you mate, your man in front…’ Hmmm a fight me thinks. Commuter Cup, with swearing and fighting.

Rider two blasted past. Rider one executed some dangerous passing on the approach the Harbour Bridge Ramp and on the ramp itself. They had about 60m on me, and I could hear the fighting over my music. I decided to catch up and listen in, being a voyeur with no life of my own. This was easier said than done. Rider one was trying to grind Rider two off his wheel. They were really flying. Both in Bordies, backpacks and T’s but riding racing bikes, one with tri-bars. I had to ride at max to bridge, which was a bit of a surprise. There was no talking when I caught the draft. Rider one realised he was not dropping Rider two and ceased his max effort but rode fast enough to prevent any more abuse. At the stair-ramp Rider one walked and Rider two rode down the stairs – and copped it from a few riders walking up the bridge with their bikes on the ramp. So I assume that Rider one was a complete clown and Rider two had been applying a verbal attitude adjustment. But he wasn’t strong enough to get around Rider one and frustrated by this performed an unwise ride down the stair-ramp. The abuse continued as they both turned off.

So back to cruise mode I thought. A Lycra roadie passed me at a good tempo. He caught the lights in Nth Sydney. There was a huge guy stopped at the lights, not fat but tall and solid; a second-rower. So our Lycra boy looked back at Lurch and I. It was that, ‘I’m gonna drop you boys up this hill’ look. Sigh.

Lights change and he drives it off. Riding high tempo. Lurch cuts across me and takes up station behind and to the right of Lycra boy. Not a clever move, but I let it go. He is looking for the pass mid hill. But, that is not going to happen. The lightweight Lycra boy is too fast. Next hill, different story. Lurch can’t hang on. He tries but this hill is just too long and he drifts then cracks. A feeling we all know. Lycra-boy turned off a the top of the hill, sick of towing my lazy butt perhaps. And I dropped back into looking at the scenery.

To be honest, all these guys were putting in solid efforts in the commuter cup or clown cup in some cases. We don’t get much action on my route usually in spite of it being busy.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 pm

ft_critical wrote:I felt like the commuter cup live reporter yesterday.

End of season and silly season for me, so my only riding is commuting. Cruising along in shorts and a t-shirt enjoying the sun and not riding too hard. Listening to the Psychodelic Pod Cast from Marty Doyle, I was surprised (shocked) to find someone passing me on a very narrow little bridge leading to the Harbour Bridge. It is a stupid place to pass as it meets a blind 90 degree corner. If there was someone coming the other way (which is likely given the volume of traffic) it would have definitely resulted in a low speed crash. The bizarre thing was, this guy was in the drops and he kind of looked up at me and grinned as he went by. My shock was surplanted by someone seemingly abusing me from behind. I looked behind, two riders back ‘Sorry what was that?’, ‘Not you mate, your man in front…’ Hmmm a fight me thinks. Commuter Cup, with swearing and fighting.

Rider two blasted past. Rider one executed some dangerous passing on the approach the Harbour Bridge Ramp and on the ramp itself. They had about 60m on me, and I could hear the fighting over my music. I decided to catch up and listen in, being a voyeur with no life of my own. This was easier said than done. Rider one was trying to grind Rider two off his wheel. They were really flying. Both in Bordies, backpacks and T’s but riding racing bikes, one with tri-bars. I had to ride at max to bridge, which was a bit of a surprise. There was no talking when I caught the draft. Rider one realised he was not dropping Rider two and ceased his max effort but rode fast enough to prevent any more abuse. At the stair-ramp Rider one walked and Rider two rode down the stairs – and copped it from a few riders walking up the bridge with their bikes on the ramp. So I assume that Rider one was a complete clown and Rider two had been applying a verbal attitude adjustment. But he wasn’t strong enough to get around Rider one and frustrated by this performed an unwise ride down the stair-ramp. The abuse continued as they both turned off.

So back to cruise mode I thought. A Lycra roadie passed me at a good tempo. He caught the lights in Nth Sydney. There was a huge guy stopped at the lights, not fat but tall and solid; a second-rower. So our Lycra boy looked back at Lurch and I. It was that, ‘I’m gonna drop you boys up this hill’ look. Sigh.

Lights change and he drives it off. Riding high tempo. Lurch cuts across me and takes up station behind and to the right of Lycra boy. Not a clever move, but I let it go. He is looking for the pass mid hill. But, that is not going to happen. The lightweight Lycra boy is too fast. Next hill, different story. Lurch can’t hang on. He tries but this hill is just too long and he drifts then cracks. A feeling we all know. Lycra-boy turned off a the top of the hill, sick of towing my lazy butt perhaps. And I dropped back into looking at the scenery.

To be honest, all these guys were putting in solid efforts in the commuter cup or clown cup in some cases. We don’t get much action on my route usually in spite of it being busy.
Great report !!!!

Unfortunately I've been in these situations too many times myself.

There's a fine but distinct line between commuter cup and clown cup racing that gets crossed too often. So often I get some clown taking really silly risks to push past in totally inappropriate places, only to find them unable to even hold my wheel when the path opens up for a long climb.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:51 pm

did my pb today on my way home, came up on queen street and eagle street and waited for the green. Dude in lycra and a nice carbon roadie comes up to wait but goes 3-4 lengths in front. Do people think if they are on carbon roadie and are wearing lycra, they should be first in line? just saying... Anyway, we came on wickham terrace and usual bus and heavy traffic around 5, he sees and knows i'm right behind him, but slows riiiiight down. I was okay to filter through the traffic so went past him and flew down wickham at around 40kmh and didn't look back. I certainly felt the burning sensation on my legs but it felt gooooood!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:24 pm

That's funny FT, you should of shown them how's it done

Today I'm cruising along Cooks river and I notice that I only ate 200mtrs into a 300mtr lead of a rider in front of me, but I eat the final 100mtrs thru a technical section and I'm on his wheel. He looks really worried, but I turn off, probably much to his relief :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

westab

Postby westab » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:46 am

Had some action this morning - had just got on the M7c and was heading to work. the legs were feeling wasted.

Then I saw a gentlemen on a nice Trek machine with a full Mcgee kit (looks nice) - I needed to get to work as I was behind time and this provided the motivation. Overtook him on a hill after a sharp left hand bend. There was a short amount of hill left when I overtook. After this there a short down hill and then another long up hill.

He closed on the down hill and the first half of the up hill but I just kept a pace I knew I could ride - if he was going to get me OK good on him; but he didn't have enough.

First action I have had in over a month - it was nice to be on the right side of it. Hope I hope I don't see anyone for the rest of the year now for all the pennies have now been spent. :roll:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:17 pm

ft_critical wrote:At the stair-ramp Rider one walked and Rider two rode down the stairs – and copped it from a few riders walking up the bridge with their bikes on the ramp.
Since when is it considered wrong to ride down the north ramp? :?:

Back in courier days it was done all the time, and before that when there were very few commuters I always used to ride to ride up the north end ramp as well. That effort wasn't worth the energy when you had to do it a few times a day as a courier, but riding down used to be normal.

Since I moved south of the bridge, though, I've only been over the bridge three times - twice in a hybrid with fully-loaded panniers and once on the TT bike. I didn't even bother with the hybrid and it only took one flight of steps before I realised that TT bikes weren't made for that sort of thing!

:D

I was assuming I'd ride down the steps if I ended up there on a lightly-laden flatbar or roadie, but is that now frowned upon?

At least you get some CC action; now I work in Alexandria I get zip cause the only bikes I meet are Newtown footpath cruisers. I did catch one hybrid rider with shaved legs once, but that was my wife on her way home and she reckoned that didn't count.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 am

First commute of the year, and I was attacked by a fat MAMIL (is that a tautology?) on a BMC RaceMachine. So I had to. :twisted:

Soft target, but I don't care. His bike cost ten times the price of mine.