Getting away with murder

il padrone

Getting away with murder

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 am

A series of sorry tales of cyclists dead or mutilated, and drivers guilty who literally get away with murder :evil:
Last edited by il padrone on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ldrcycles

Re: Getting away with morder

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:17 am

WHY WHY WHY? :evil:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:46 am

Yep, know that. Just put it down to a bit of artistic license :wink:

It's the underlying societal beliefs behind the decisions, and the lack of legal responsibility for the offenders that galls me.
Mandatory helmet law?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 pm

some of those are not that outrageous. however, the case of scott peoples is particularly so. the abject failure and refusal of authorities to take any action to stop a guy, and any others like him in the future, who was an accident waiting to happen is utterly exasperating.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Far stiffer sentences need to be meted out for negligent driving. It has always angered me that driving is treated so preferentially.

I recall during the so called gun debate of 96 that one of the justifications from the thieves was “If it only saves one life” and any retort mentioning the road toll was met with derision.

Can’t wait for peak oil to put driving into the luxury category for the majority of people.
2012 Oppy A4

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Oxford wrote:murder implies premeditation.
*only intent, not premeditation :wink:
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Oxford wrote:is that why its Morder and not Murder? :mrgreen: We're just murdering the English language.
:oops: :oops:

:lol:
Mandatory helmet law?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:38 pm

ozdavo wrote:
Oxford wrote:murder implies premeditation.
*only intent, not premeditation :wink:

Wondering out loud here. But why not manslaughter?
2012 Oppy A4

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Oxford wrote:... but lets be clear, murder implies premeditation which in most of those cases is not present.
Premeditated ? Characterized by deliberate purpose, previous consideration, and some degree of planning ?

Yeah, nobody ever gets into a car and drives it without deliberate purpose, any degree of planning, or the slightest consideration that they could actually kill someone. So how the hell could he have formed any intent to kill (i.e. murder) ?

Luke Shields had not planned his trips to get drugs, had not premeditated that he might drive into someone while in his drug-addled state, nor gave his murderous driving any previous consideration (and hence intent). Nor did his drug-taking have the slightest pre-meditation or intent. It was magical forces that drove the needle into his arm every day, or maybe his genes compelled him to behave this way from birth, or maybe he was abused as a child etc.,. etc., He definitely didn't intend any of these outcomes.

But of course, we should believe it very plausible that he turns this all around when he gets to court and intended to get a lesser sentence when he pleaded guilty etc.,. and the first court really did him over in not meeting his expectations. Fortunately, the appeal judge could see that Shields was capable of intentions, and reasonably recognized that it should respect them.

Certainly was hard done by, and should be beaten with a feather and released immediately. With a free and large overdose of heroin.

That would be a nice Xmas present for cyclists.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jules21

Re: Getting away with murder

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:38 pm

with respect wombat, i think you're confusing the premeditated act of getting behind the wheel in a state that you know will endager others, with the premeditated act of deliberately killing someone. they're not the same, although both are deplorable.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:44 pm

jules21 wrote:with respect wombat, i think you're confusing the premeditated act of getting behind the wheel in a state that you know will endager others, with the premeditated act of deliberately killing someone. they're not the same, although both are deplorable.
IMO they should be regarded as the same. End result is someone being killed or maimed.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:38 am

That would make a good murder ploy wouldn't it. Wait 'till the victim gets on his bike. Follow him around in your 4x4 and just run over him at a roundabout. You wouldn't have to dispose of the body or the murder weapon or come up with an alibi. It would be just a case of run him down and say it was a terrible accident. Sweet.
It wouldn't work more than twice though so if you had a few on your hit list it would be wise to get them all on a bunch ride. No one would suspect it was anything more than a case of carelessness.

Lets see, how to avoid a charge of negligent driving causing death? Blame the cyclists. Wait in ambush by a stop sign and clobber them all at once. Everyone knows cyclist have scant regard for stop signs and if they ignore them then killing is too good for them. They would not only let you off but no doubt award you a sizeable grant to pay for counselling. You could charge shock jocks a hefty fee for interviews and sell your story to TDT or some such sensation mongering tabloid TV.

Murder concealed in the overwhelming statistical noise of the road toll. What a great idea. Hmmm I wonder if anyone else thought of it...
judged, insulted, gone

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:24 am

notwal wrote:Murder concealed in the overwhelming statistical noise of the road toll. What a great idea. Hmmm I wonder if anyone else thought of it...
my understanding is that the police's interest is piqued when they learn that both parties in a collision knew each other, and even more so when there was a motive involved :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:26 am

Oxford wrote:I don't necessarily like what I read in the link and think the decisions are outrageous in some cases, but lets be clear, murder implies premeditation which in most of those cases is not present. aside from that, some of those decisions are just pathetic.
Yes, and the "literal" tag is of no consequence either. Let the journos misuse the term to mean extreme in situations that are patently NOT literal.

I suppose ten years is still a substantial sentence though as the government beak pointed out in the appeal process, it is only serendipity that it was not TWO deaths. Blood alcohol approaching five times the legal limit, high on LSD and on the way to buy more dope, unregistered vehicle and unlicensed driver. Perhaps in this case it would have been more just to sentence as though it was a double homicide.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Hmm, yes, terminological abuse :wink: Literally should be virtually.
Mandatory helmet law?

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:09 pm

I do know of a bloke who has been involved with 3 motorcycling accidents.. two of them deaths. And had a very unpleasant divorce with a motorcyclist. And no he is not in jail (or wasnt when this was current news 15 years ago)