Othy down

MichaelB

Re: Othy down

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 am

Keep up the good work and recovery.

All power to you - the bike is waiting patiently !!!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks for the update. That x-ray is mind blowing :shock:

It's good to hear you are making progress, however slow it may seem. Keep at it :)
FPR Ragamuffin

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:53 pm

good luck Othy. it's challenges like this that define us and it sounds like you're meeting it head on. it's good to read about your progress.

othy

Postby othy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:15 am

Small update. Physio again today. My vertical lift is 120 degrees on the right and 110 degrees on the left, +20 degrees improvement in a month, but still a long way to go, doctor was hoping for 160 in two weeks time but I think thats probably ambitious. Strength is really poor on the outer arm muscle which probably has a technical name (didn't have much to lose on the upper body strength).

Went for a drive yesterday and visited the velodrome for training and had a chat. That plus hydrothrapy yesterday made for a sore morning at the physio so that may have skewed the results a bit.

Not much else to report, just sticking at it.

Hooked the bike up to the mag trainer but haven't done a session yet. Sat on it briefly and it was too uncomfortable. Might try again on the weekend.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:11 am

Great to hear that you are progressing well, albeit slowly.

Keep it up !!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 am

Keep it up, my friend. Persistence pays. 8) I'm coming up on two years since my shoulder op and I'm still eeking out small improvements nearly every week.

Will it ever be normal? Perhaps not, but I'll be damned if I'm going to 'settle' for a second-best existence like my Dad did after his spinal injuries.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Appologies I didn't get to chat, as you saw I was busy with the newbies. Will catch up another time
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

othy

Postby othy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Been a while since I updated. Jules21 thread reminded me to post this, originally posted on my club forum last week:

I had my first x-ray checkup at the end of May, and it was found that my left shoulder is most likely suffering from necrosis. Somewhat speculative as the x-rays can't completely confirm it until the structure of the bone starts to deteriorate and by that point its too late for further treatment. I was given a referral to an Endocrinologist to see about a therapy that they use for osteoporosis patients that may prevent the necrosis from progressing.

I booked him in for mid this month as he was on leave, but was willing to see me his first day back. In the mean time I had blood tests for a bunch of things and a Bone Density scan in preparation for the appointment to speed everything along.

Had the appointment and discussed the medication, its side effects and treatment and was booked in last Wednesday to receive it. Was required to take some large doses of Vitamin D on a weekly basis to help with the treatment. The drug used is a bisphosphonate called Zoledronic acid. It requires 1 infusion now and another in 6 weeks time, followed by xrays after that to see if anything has changed.

On Wednesday last week I had my first treatment. Apparently they're all done on this day so it was me and a group of ladies, all of which old enough to be my grandmother, waiting for our turn. The drug is given over a 15 minute infusion through a drip. It was all pretty straight forward and no immediate effects.

I went to work afterwards and was fine for the rest of the day. The side effects kicked in that evening and it wasn't particularly pleasant. It felt like a flu but no coughing/runny nose. Just ached all over and had a headache. Felt really tired, lethargic, and weak. Stayed like that for two days, which I barely left the bed. My shoulders got very sore, but this could be from lying in bed for prolonged lengths. I brightened up a bit on the weekend and I think I'm now better, but suffering a little from fatigue. Shoulders aren't sore anymore (seem to return to normal levels) and I'm moving around more.

Hopefully the drug is doing some good. Its somewhat experimental but weighing up the risks and the possibly positive outcome I think its worthwhile trying. It was pretty expensive too considering its a off script usage from medicare, and therefore all out of pocket.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:01 pm

thanks for updating othy. stay strong and look forward to hearing more about your progress.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:56 am

Bugger !!! Keep up the positive attitude and hope that it all goes well.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:10 pm

If it works for you Othy, then it's worth it. All the best mate! :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Come on Othy,
how are you doing.
Your well overdue for another update. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Necrosis :shock: Strewth! Sorry to hear that. :(

Please keep us up to date.

othy

Postby othy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Time for another update. Good news now..

I had several treatments with the (experiemental..) zoledronic acid for the necrosis, and it seems this has worked. My humeral heads have not collapsed, and it looks like I'm past the danger time frame for this occurring. Had a bone scan with spect to determine if the heads had re-vascularised, and they have (except for a small section, but apparently this should come good). Will have another bone scan in 6 months time to confirm everything is still good.

Saw the orthopaedic surgeon too, he has no concerns now and says any further treatment will be up to me. I should be doing as much physio as possible, and in 4-5 months time I can evaluate where my movement is at. I still haven't plateaued yet in strength and range. It may then be possible to get more movement by doing some key-hole surgery to remove scarring in the joint. This involves an overnight stay but apart from that is fairly low risk and won't cause me to have to start again as far as learning to use my arms goes.

I probably have 75% percent of my left arm range back, and 65% of my right. I plan to get to the Velodrome tomorrow night for my first ride back since the accident in January. I've gone from being a super fit 70kg, to a fat 83kg in that time.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:30 pm

That's good to hear Othy! 8) :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Great news re the necrosis !!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:12 pm

good on ya otty. it's heart warming to hear of your progress and that you're getting back on the bike.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:10 am

Great to see that Othy is back to some light commuting

othy

Postby othy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:54 pm

I've been doing a few commutes, including today - and everyone overtakes me. Also been to Centennial Park on Saturday mornings. Longest ride has been about 40km, and was slow (~25km/h). Getting my fitness back up slowly, haven't lost any weight yet but not too concerned. Shoulders are doing well - I think the riding is helping. Still doing lots of physio.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 pm

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Yayyyy happy dances all round! :D

Now have patience and don't over do things. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Whoa!

Don’t know Othy but I’m glad he healed quick.

Kudo’s to the Truck Driver for stopping to help

EDIT

A million apologies - I thought this thread was one page :oops:
2012 Oppy A4

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:08 pm

I'd missed the update - glad to hear the treatment worked. :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Othy, how's the progress?