The Campagnolo Thread

wheels46

Re: The Campagnolo Thread

Postby wheels46 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:30 pm

brentono wrote:But really, what about Zeus, a company started before Campagnolo (and the rumour it was a copy :wink: )
To quote Mr. Fawlty... Excuse them they were Spanish. Though I'm sure their drillbits were Italian. :lol:

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:53 pm

lunar_c wrote:I've seen a bit of Zeus around and always wondered when that company dissolved?
About the same time Man stopped believing in the Gods and the Kraken appeared
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38 pm

lunar_c wrote:I've seen a bit of Zeus around and always wondered when that company dissolved?
Used their componentry in the late60's/early70's and it was a great cheaper alternative,
usually not finished (polished) as well as Campag, but just as mechanically good.
Much was sold to those who could not justify the cost in Australia, at the time.
There was talk at the time (and it seems quite reasonable) that Campag had a lot
of part work done in Spain by Zeus in the period
(labour costs were much lower from my understanding)
(and yes we knew it was from Spain, Mr. Obvious :roll: )
The legendary Zeus 2000 groupset of 1975. This was a genuinely innovative set of components,
with its braze-on centre-pull brakes, aluminium freewheel, extensively drilled look and branding
that was decisively not Campagnolo. At its launch Zeus 2000 could make a realistic claim
to being the ‘best groupset in the world’. Whatever the case, the components were fine.
Campagnolo were expensive, probably due to all the monies spent on Advertising.
Think the Spanish company "Zeus" went on till early 90's. But lost track after the end of the Seventies.
Think the company went to the States, the finished up around the end of the 20th Century.
Around 1999/2000 Orbea took over branding one their bikes- Zeus. AFAIK. DYOR.
During the 70's Zeus was the only bike Company making components and producing a complete bike.
Cheers
:mrgreen:

Edit: the OP article is interesting, though limited from a technical aspect, and more a business POV,
and very American... the author may well have been out of his depth (meant in the nicest possible way)
The Campagnolo story and history could not be put, without a mention of the Zeus Company in Spain.
Over many years, the Company (Campag) has struggled with Form v's Function and of coarse fashion.
Still their position, is solid, in Cycling's mystery and history ... and they are in a niche market.
Personally, to pick the eyes out of their range, you end up with great components (leaving gruppo out)
FYI- it's been called Campag for short for as long as I can remember. :D
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

faustorider

Postby faustorider » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh good I was hoping those comments might fire up a few people.
I remember my grandfather telling me that when the British flew overhead the Germans ducked, when the Germans flew overhead the allies ducked and when the US flew overhead everyone ducked!

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:33 pm

faustorider wrote:...and when the US flew overhead everyone ducked!
proof: in 1944, the Americans bombed about 1km from where I now live, in suburban Adelaide!
struggling to get a connection back to topic of Campagnolo though, except earlier this week I bought 4 books on the life of Coppi, and he won some races on Campagnolo.

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:53 pm

CS,
True about Coppi, and he did use Campagnolo on the Track.
Found it quite interesting (most people think of Coppi on the road)
in the book "The Campionissimo" that he was more thought of,
at the end of his life, as a idol of the race Track . He was a great one.
:mrgreen:

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:07 am

I was reminded of something in the shed just now that encapsulates the difference between Campagnolo and Shimano: the 10 speed chain joining pins.

On Shimano, you push the pin through and snap off the guide, leaving a rough end.
On Campagnolo, the guide is a tight fit in the pin, and you pull it out leaving a nice machined hole.

It's the little things...
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 pm

$20 for a seatpost binder bolt is a rip.
anyone have a source for cheaper ones, or even generic ones (without the locating tab)?

singlespeedscott

The Campagnolo Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:40 pm

munga wrote:$20 for a seatpost binder bolt is a rip.
anyone have a source for cheaper ones, or even generic ones (without the locating tab)?
Ribble.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm

I figured $20 was a rip too munga (ebay, right?) but I bought one anyway. In the scheme of things, trying to save $10 on the binder bolt but spending $40 extra on the headset to get a Campagnolo one...didn't seem to bad :D

One day I might finish that bike!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:52 am

Branding :mrgreen:

norton75

Postby norton75 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:59 am

Browsing this thread looking for some Campy nuovo record brakes, levers and calipers. Any suggestions will be checked out. Murfff. Thanks

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:27 am

norton75 wrote:Browsing this thread looking for some Campy nuovo record brakes, levers and calipers. Any suggestions will be checked out. Murfff. Thanks
i'm looking for the same. I hear this groupset is extremly hard to find. A NOS set on fleabay is apparently going for around 700ish clams...wowsers

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:22 pm

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:37 pm

vaeske wrote:
norton75 wrote:Browsing this thread looking for some Campy nuovo record brakes, levers and calipers. Any suggestions will be checked out. Murfff. Thanks
i'm looking for the same. I hear this groupset is extremly hard to find. A NOS set on fleabay is apparently going for around 700ish clams...wowsers
Same kind of money as 11 speed Athena!

Vintage Campy groupo's are some of the most beautiful components ever to adorn a bicycle frame though..

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:10 pm

vaeske wrote:
NOS groups can get up around AUD3-4k. Like waterfront land, they're not making it any more.

And like nice old steel frames - hipsters are busting them, so they're heading for endangered species status.

drubie

Campagnolo Athena Syncro II Re: The Campagnolo Thread

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:26 pm

I got nowhere else to repost this really, but bought this on a gamble from the Marketplace:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... on#p783576

Turns out to be covered in 1988-1990 Campagnolo Athena, with syncro II levers, 7 speed cassette. I'm talking the full group including the BB and the headset and all of it looks serviceable. Shame the script is gone from the rear derailleur but the shields are still on the monoplanar brakes. Can't tell whether the frame is toast yet. Really I bought it for the wheels for another project as the frame is really too small for me, but now I've had a chance to look it over I can't quite bring myself to break it up. Once I'm done cleaning and greasing I shall have a re-think. Crikey it's light though.

edit: pictures are gone from that thread:

Even the damn seatpost is athena. Pity it's frozen in there but I'll soak it for a while I think.

hitchhiker

Re: Campagnolo Athena Syncro II Re: The Campagnolo Thread

Postby hitchhiker » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:40 pm

drubie wrote:I got nowhere else to repost this really, but bought this on a gamble from the Marketplace:

Turns out to be covered in 1988-1990 Campagnolo Athena, with syncro II levers, 7 speed cassette. I'm talking the full group including the BB and the headset and all of it looks serviceable. Shame the script is gone from the rear derailleur but the shields are still on the monoplanar brakes. Can't tell whether the frame is toast yet. Really I bought it for the wheels for another project as the frame is really too small for me, but now I've had a chance to look it over I can't quite bring myself to break it up. Once I'm done cleaning and greasing I shall have a re-think. Crikey it's light though.

Even the damn seatpost is athena. Pity it's frozen in there but I'll soak it for a while I think.
Sounds like a nice score!

Pity it's too small for you. Although it does sound the perfect size for me :)

if you ever decide you want to see the frame go to a good home that is...

munga

Postby munga » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:52 pm

nice find. what size is it? 8)

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:01 pm

munga wrote:nice find. what size is it? 8)
I'm gonna say 52-54, I haven't measured it properly. It needs riding - although I'm not comfortable moving the frame on until I check the couple of rust spots on it and free up the seat post. So, dismantle time for now. The only bit missing is the backing plate off the rear derailleur, although I think I might have one in my box of junk.

Possibly the sanest thing to do is clean it up and wait until my daughter grows out of her tiny Shogun. This thing would be a weapon in comparison.

Now, does anybody know for sure if I can simply swap the 8 speed freehub off my chorus hub and put it (and the axle) on this Athena hub so I don't have to re-lace two wheels? The hub bodies look identical (and yes, it's definitely 7 speed and definitely a cassette)

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Going to answer my own question: No, you can't swap the 7 and 8 speed cassette bodies. The 7 speed athena hub has a smaller axle and is a loose ball hub, the 8 speed one I have is cartridge bearings. The ratchet bed in the hub body itself is the same size, unlike the later campagnolo hubs where the diameter of the freewheel mechanism is a size larger (preventing you, for example, from popping a fulcrum 5 freehub onto an older sealed bearing campagnolo hub even though the design is otherwise identical).

Bummer. Going to have to re-lace that omega v wheel.

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:30 pm

koen wrote:I rebuilt a rusted Record Ergolever with a cheap lever and I couldn't really spot the difference internally.
It's definitely the vibe though. And the cool winged lever logo.

As I understand it, all the 9 speed internals are the same. The only real difference is the lever blade.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:15 pm

xerlex wrote:
koen wrote:I rebuilt a rusted Record Ergolever with a cheap lever and I couldn't really spot the difference internally.
It's definitely the vibe though. And the cool winged lever logo.

As I understand it, all the 9 speed internals are the same. The only real difference is the lever blade.
What about the early 10 speeds?

Mine is all Daytona, bar the shifters, which I've rebuilt and as such I'd like to keep. Finding some blades would be easier.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Thoglette wrote: Mine is all Daytona, bar the shifters, which I've rebuilt and as such I'd like to keep. Finding some blades would be easier.
Thoglette - I have the middle period 10 speed veloce and centaur levers and they are identical bar the drilled upshift paddle on the centaur. The lever bodies are 1 part number for the entire 10 speed range up until the (ptooey) powershift stuff.

If it's early 10 speed they are the same lever body right up to record, so you can buy new blades with confidence.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:05 pm

ok, if i wanted to run modern dual pivot calipers on an older frame, what's the best way to do it?
can it be done without modifying the frame? i don't want to drill out any bridges.
if you're going to say "get longer bolts" can you tell me where i can source them from?