New record!

TriggerFish

New record!

Postby TriggerFish » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:23 pm

Well I oficially broke my all time record for the ride home from work today. For the first time ever, I broke the 1 hour mark. 59:34 to be exact :D . It has been as bad as 1:17:00.

The trip is a little shorter than I had thought originally. About 17km on the way in (beat my best time on that run this morning too!) and 20.5 on the way back to total about 37km rather than the 40 that I thought. But what's 3km between friends. If I take the long way to work when I am fitter I will round it out :) . Even if the trip was a little shorter, the time it takes is still the same in the end.

I was really pleased to average over 20kph on the way home (over 23kph on the trip in!). I have some killer hills for about 10 mins at the 40 minute mark of the trip which really take it out of me. Another 35 degree day meant the sweat monster was what greeted the family again today....

The other thing, is that I am using clip on shoes for the first time (yet to fall over...urg....probably just jinxed myself). My hamstrings are not thanking me tonight. I didn't really believe people that told me that you worked your hamstrings a fair bit with the clip on shoes. Something learned for sure.

One question on the shoes, is it unusual to get a touch of numbness in front of the clips (toes)? I find that especially towards the end of the ride I find myself sncrunching my toes every now and then to get some more blood flow. Havnig said that, I found the shoes heaps more comfortable today than yesterday.

Which reminds me.....today marked the first time I have ridden to and from work two days in a row! I don't care if it is the new bike flushing me with enthusiasm.....as long as it is there!

Had to blurt all that out. Feel free to wander off shaking your head :lol:

Ciao,

TF.

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:44 pm

You should have shoes that allow you to wiggle your toes.
Riding shoes are not like walking shoes.
That's a good workout. An hour at over 20 kph.
Man I envy you with the whole commute thing.

I did that for six years in the Army and it was a blast.
A great way to start the day.

Robert

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Why don't you join the www.bikely.com gang, Trigger Fish? Plot your commute and post it. Hopefully, you can get TriggerFish as your id and name the route as TriggerFish - Commute or similar, so that we can find it easily.
It's always good to see another 'enthusiast', so don't worry about the 'blurting' - we've all felt it and many of us have shared it!

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:04 pm

Well, signed up on bikely and made the following.

Trig's Ride to Work

And

Trig's Ride Home

I had to make two as they are quite different. I ride on the road on Adelaide Ave in the mornings as I leave about 6.15am so the traffic is not too heavy. But I refuse to ride it on the way home. Too many people in cars in too much of a hurry to get home. Otherwise, I stick to bike paths that run parrallel (sp?) to roads in the main. Adelaide Ave is the only road that I ride on either way. Canberra is pretty good in that respect. The bike paths are everywhere and very usable if you keep your eyes out for tree roots on the older ones.

I am also going to start a blog. I will post it up when it is presentable. I am trying to find as many motivational tools as possible. What better way to motivate onself than to make one's goals publicly accountable!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:12 pm

The trick with clipless bike shoes is NOT to tie them tight. Seriously. I was in pain when I first used mine. Was told to tie them loose and guess what, it worked.

As for your commute - half your luck having a job to commute to

Richard

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:32 pm

What I also found that helped me with my clipless shoes is to put an arched insole inplace of the original one. I have feet that have quite high arches so by using this insole it disperses the force all over my foot rather than at the front of my foot

dan_the_man

Postby dan_the_man » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:57 pm