Racing Wheels - FFWD

OrangeJuiceMan

Racing Wheels - FFWD

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi all,
After 2yrs of racing on alloy wheels I've decided to finally upgrade. Currently using campag eurus wheels which run like a dream but im looking for something a little lighter :D . A few people have recommended Fast Foward Wheels (FFWD), which come at a good price and are a light weight. With chain reaction currently having free postage it seems like a perfect time to get some. I was wanting to know if anyone has any feedback on these wheels as there seems to be very few reviews online. Also if any of you have any recommendations on any other carbon wheels which are below $1.5k, under 1400g and tubular please share. Still unsure whether to go 38mm or 60mm deep profile.
Thanks,
OJ

p.s. here are a couple of the FFWD wheelsets on CR.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=74970
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=74965

open roader

Re: Racing Wheels - FFWD

Postby open roader » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Greg Ryan at TWE in Sydney can custom make you a set of full carbon tubulars in medium or high aero profile rims for circa $1,600 which is similar / cheaper than the FFWD's after you pay GST on the import from c r c. I had a pair of his 50mm clinchers for a couple of years, they weighed in at 1,385 grams the pair and spun / rode beautifully.

If you regularly experience strong crosswinds and become nervous about your front end when it gusts beyond 45km / hr then I'd avoid the 50mm profile and go lower. I rode my 50mm set plenty in ridiculous cross winds and always noticed some extra drag but never really felt threatened about the bike loosing stabilty.

FWIW I've swapped my 50mm carbon wheels for Campag Eurus wheels. The carbon wheels provide more feedback and are def. more responsive but the Eurus are better at absorbing road buzz - swings and round-a-bouts.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:20 am

+1 for TWE wheels

I've never owned a set but a few mates who do keep raving about them. I know where he sources his full carbon rims from and they receive fantastic review from wheel builders all over the world.

I build wheels myself and I've spoken to Greg about a few issues i've had. He has spent over 20mins on the phone with me working on a solution for my build every time i call him.

A custom hand built set of wheels will always out perform OEM wheels hands down.
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

sogood

Racing Wheels - FFWD

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:42 am

pawnii wrote:A custom hand built set of wheels will always out perform OEM wheels hands down.
i understand that some OEM wheels are also hand built. Further, some high performance OEM CF wheels have no small shop equivalent.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

kosh

Postby kosh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:33 am

There are some amazing bargains online if you pay attention.

I just picked up a new (albeit non-firecrest) Zipp 343 tubular set (303 front, 404 MAX rear, 1267g total) for <$1600, by careful study of Wiggle's sales.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:32 am

If you are keen for FFWD wheels, give Eddie Salas a call in Rooty Hill. He has some FFWD for sale and has had some pretty sharp pricing on them as well!

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

scottpilot10

Postby scottpilot10 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:17 pm

You are better off getting them individually from say Wiggle which also has great deals on FFWD. I have a set of F6R tubs with the DT240 swiss hubs. They are absolutely great wheels. Further to this, the people at FFWD in Holland are great to deal with and obviously take a lot of pride in their wheels. Get some.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:21 pm

pawnii wrote:+1 for TWE wheels
+2
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:05 pm

JV911 wrote:
+2
+3

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:24 am

cavebear2 wrote:
JV911 wrote:
+2
+3
+4

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 am

JV911 wrote:
+4
+5
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

OrangeJuiceMan

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:52 pm

By the sounds of things these TWE wheels sound not too shabby! :P I'll definitely have a look in to them.

In terms of rim deepness, im a pretty light rider (63kg~), so when there's a gust of wind im like a feather so most likely be better off with lower profile rims.

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 pm

So are you allowed to use the TWE wheels for racing??

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:31 am

Strange Rover wrote:So are you allowed to use the TWE wheels for racing??
I'm no expert when it comes to the current regs but I have spotted at least three sets of TWE wheels in interclub road races I see locally (Colac CC) these looked to be full carbon wheels too.

I'm surprised no FFWD wheel owners have offered an opinion here, there are a few bikes in the gallery thread fitted with them.......
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:00 am

OrangeJuiceMan wrote:In terms of rim deepness, im a pretty light rider (63kg~), so when there's a gust of wind im like a feather so most likely be better off with lower profile rims.
maybe but the surface area of your body is far greater than rims so the difference in a 38 verses 50 mm rim wont be much
he uses readily-avalable rims which are approved. he sponsors a few teams too.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:38 am

JV911 wrote:
OrangeJuiceMan wrote:In terms of rim deepness, im a pretty light rider (63kg~), so when there's a gust of wind im like a feather so most likely be better off with lower profile rims.
maybe but the surface area of your body is far greater than rims so the difference in a 38 verses 50 mm rim wont be much
he uses readily-avalable rims which are approved. he sponsors a few teams too.
There is no such thing as an "approved rim" - using the same rim as another manufacturer who has UCI approval for their wheelset, does not mean your wheelset has UCI approval.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

toolonglegs

Racing Wheels - FFWD

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:53 am

Hardly think it matters... UCI regs are hardly ever applied at club races... Maybe if you turn up with a 4 spoke they might say something :P .

Abby

Postby Abby » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:01 am

toolonglegs wrote:Hardly think it matters... UCI regs are hardly ever applied at club races... Maybe if you turn up with a 4 spoke they might say something :P .
The issue isn't "UCI regs being enforced". The issue is that if your wheel fails and causes an accident in a race, and it isn't UCI approved, then you aren't covered by insurance (we are all covered while racing by CA insurance).

It's been made clear that riders are responsible for using UCI approved wheels. If you are able to cover a massive personal injury claim if another rider "lawyers up" on you just because you want to ride non-UCI approved wheels - then that's your choice. I personally can't afford that, so only use wheelsets that are "on the list".

Remember - the onus is NOT on the commissaire's to stop you using them. The onus is on you. You'll often see non-UCI approved wheels in races - the users aren't getting away with anything, they are merely taking on an insurance risk... I reckon that's loco...

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

mianos

Postby mianos » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:38 am

Go read the rules. They are on the web. I've pasted them many times. They are 'conventional design' with plenty of spokes and are therefore, by the rules pre approved by the UCI.

If you want a pair of FFWD wheels, second hand but near new with tyres ring up Matty or Albert at BikeBug Walsh Bay. Albert is selling his:
"hey all, just in case you need another Christmas pressie for yourself, we have an awesome bargain pair of near new tubs with Vittoria Corsa Tyres & DT-240 Hubs for $1250
< 500ks (under 10 rides or so)
Add the tyres, tubes and the DT-swiss upgrade you've got a great deal + you can pick em up so no postage.

mianos

Postby mianos » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:41 am

toolonglegs wrote:Hardly think it matters... UCI regs are hardly ever applied at club races... Maybe if you turn up with a 4 spoke they might say something :P .
Less than 16 spokes and they are not 'traditional' design, so yes they could complain, but they don't at Heffron.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:45 am

Wheels do not have to be on the UCI approved list to be used in club racing... they do have to fall with in certain specifications though.
Less than 16 spokes isn't allowed here under any circumstances in mass start events.
Edit...Sorry, yes I was not very clear in my original statement at all.
mianos wrote:Go read the rules. They are on the web. I've pasted them many times. They are 'conventional design' with plenty of spokes and are therefore, by the rules pre approved by the UCI.
That they are over 2.5cm in rim depth makes them non conventional design ... :P ... glad we don't have insurance issues here :P .

mianos

Postby mianos » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:02 am

toolonglegs wrote: That they are over 2.5cm in rim depth makes them non conventional design ... :P ... glad we don't have insurance issues here :P .
Yes, sorry. I guess the other debate would be, what's the rim? Like HED, Mavic, unlike FFWD, the actual rim is under 2.5 and the carbon bit does not have the spokes attached but is only a cowling.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:09 am

+1 re uci approval.

Also the bit about standard rimms needing to be made from metal eg aluminium or steel was obviously missed by the previous poster.

It is true, riding TWE wheels in a race is an insurance risk but only if the TWEs etc directly cause the injury eg break and cause you to crash or if you crash for some other reason and they break/fracture and injure another rider eg cutting them.

Pretty low risk but a risk all the same.

You are covered for slol events eg time trial and for solo training

toolonglegs

Racing Wheels - FFWD

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:18 am

I thought only the spokes had to be metal?... We need Alex to pop in as he is a commissar.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:19 am

Rim depth does not matter in au if the rims are metal.

I emailed CA for clarrification on this 12 months ago. For some reason I deleted it :o