Bus Lanes in Sydney

Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi All,

Local paper comments section has yet another whinger writing in about how "us" cyclist are using Sydney bus lanes and slowing down all the buses.. Apprently this person has phoned the RTA and also stated that we can be fined if we use the bus lanes during peak hours, is this true? he also mentioned we should use the middle lane like normal drivers?

Before I write back in with a comment, I just wanted to get some opinions on what people think, I wont write back saying anything stupid as that is exactly what he wants, but I'll be smart about it and try and get him to understand that buses arent going any quicker without cyclist.

Cheers,

Matt
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
User avatar
Addictr3
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Manly, Sydney

by BNA » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:11 pm

BNA
 

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:11 pm

We can use bus lanes, as can motorcycles and taxis. We CAN"T use "bus only" lanes.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3253
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby clackers » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Permission for bikes to use bus lanes is explicit on some signs in Melbourne ...
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby familyguy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 pm

I had a little chuckle at this when I read it this morning. Bottom letter:
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/yo ... cember-15/

Set straight pretty quickly:
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/yo ... bus-lanes/

I've never seen anyone in the Bus Lane (let alone a Bus Only Lane) between Narrabeen and The Spit actually holding anyone up. Quite the opposite in some circumstances.

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:16 pm

There's bus lane and bus only lane. Cyclists are entitled to use bus lanes but not bus only lanes.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17082
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:56 pm

familyguy wrote:I had a little chuckle at this when I read it this morning. Bottom letter:
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/yo ... cember-15/

Set straight pretty quickly:
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/yo ... bus-lanes/

I've never seen anyone in the Bus Lane (let alone a Bus Only Lane) between Narrabeen and The Spit actually holding anyone up. Quite the opposite in some circumstances.

Jim


Yep, that is the article and someone has written back! I was going to write in!

Seriously though, Jim, not too sure if you are from Northern Beaches but I would estimate that every 2-3 weeks some morons writes in about cyclist.. so damn annoying.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
User avatar
Addictr3
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Manly, Sydney

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby familyguy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:58 am

Yeah, I'm in Cromer, and ride to Crows Nest/St Leonards once a week. A bit off topic: most of the pro-cycling letters come from an individual who was at Manly Council on their cycling committee that exploded a few months back after accusations of the members only putting in cycleways past their own houses.

The response to all the letters anti-cycling (though the term anti-cycling isnt strictly correct, just people taking aim at a convenient target) is "are you sure its not the several thousand vehicles and lack of road planning and public transport that is making you late for work?". :lol: There was that great letter about cyclists 'riding dangerously slowly up McCarrs Ck Rd' (or words to that effect) a few months back too.

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:01 am

familyguy wrote:Yeah, I'm in Cromer, and ride to Crows Nest/St Leonards once a week. A bit off topic: most of the pro-cycling letters come from an individual who was at Manly Council on their cycling committee that exploded a few months back after accusations of the members only putting in cycleways past their own houses.

The response to all the letters anti-cycling (though the term anti-cycling isnt strictly correct, just people taking aim at a convenient target) is "are you sure its not the several thousand vehicles and lack of road planning and public transport that is making you late for work?". :lol: There was that great letter about cyclists 'riding dangerously slowly up McCarrs Ck Rd' (or words to that effect) a few months back too.

Jim


Yeah that McCars Ck Rd one was a laugh. I have noticed a lot more traffic going up that road around 6am though, alot of tradies too.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
User avatar
Addictr3
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Manly, Sydney

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby Schmenz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:48 am

if anyone has a link to the mccarrs creek rd one id love to have a read!

i was thinking about the letter again this morning and got the giggles.

"are you exercising or going to work"

best line ever.

idiot. thats the beauty of it.
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com
User avatar
Schmenz
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby familyguy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:19 am

Initial letter: http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/yo ... june-30-1/

MD letter wrote:Cyclist problem in McCarrs Creek Rd
AS a frequent user of McCarrs Creek Rd, I am appalled at the lack of concern by Pittwater Council for the safety of cyclists who, for whatever reason, choose that route as part of their cycling tour.
There are always some on that road throughout the day, but on weekends hundreds use it, forcing motorists on the way up, with no alternative but to cross over the double white lines which are there from top to bottom because of all the bends, therefore taking a risk that another car or a pack of cyclists might be racing down towards you.
The council’s recommendation is to “take care”, which one obviously does, but with the cyclists labouring up that hill at no more than 5km/h it would have to be a very careful driver to stay behind at that speed.
Once would be enough but that is repeated from Church Point to the Mona Vale Rd end. Perhaps Clover Moore needs to come over and do her stuff.
Mike Judd, Church Point


It was so misguided that I actually wrote in about this one.

Replies (one is mine, one is a very regular contributor on cycling matters to the Letters): http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/yo ... -july-2-2/

MD letters wrote:Don’t only blame council for safety
WITH reference to Mike Judd (MD June 30) I would say that it is not solely the council who is showing lack of concern for cyclists’ safety. It is not the council behind the wheel of the car. Nor is it the council who rides three abreast up the hill.
On weekends, hundreds of riders use McCarrs Creek Rd as an enjoyable, challenging stretch of road. I have followed groups of riders up the hill while driving, and there are opportunities to pass in safety.
I have ridden up with small groups and been passed safely. Large groups can be more difficult to navigate around, but the opportunities are there.
On occasion, a vehicle will muscle past in an unsafe and aggressive manner for whatever reason.
I agree that motorists have little alternative but to cross the double white lines. This can bring conflict with their beliefs of law-abiding driving habits, and can increase the risk of collision. The council appears justifiably unable to repair, widen, or revise this road without major impacts to residents, bushland, wildlife and costs.
One has only to look at the opposition to the mountain bikers of the area recently from private groups to realise the outcry that works to this road would cause.
To those who feel aggrieved at the inconvenience of being held up for mere minutes, the rider you swerve around and narrowly miss (or don’t miss, as has happened) could be your workmate, neighbour, or friend.
James Hutchison, Cromer

Rider should take alternative route
IF Mike Judd is so concerned about the safety of cyclists on McCarrs Creek Rd he might choose to simply obey the law and not cross the double white lines, just as he would if stuck behind a large truck, a learner or elderly driver (MD June 30). In fact, he could count his blessings that cyclists do not obscure his view or fill his lungs with toxic exhaust fumes. If obeying the rules of the road is too difficult, he could always choose an alternative route. This is what those thousands of cyclists are doing, avoiding the traffic and foul air on Sydney’s other roads by heading to the relatively car-free areas of Pittwater. As they are the majority of road users in that area, perhaps the majority should rule.
Michael McGrath, Manly Vale


Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby duncanm » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:49 pm

I love the 'hold up the buses' angle.

Just for laughs, I tried the bus lane on Victoria Rd from Top Ryde to the Gladesville Bridge coming in yesterday (I usually go back streets through Hunters Hill).

It was fantastic! nicely paved, no cars, fast and smooth.. for about 300m; at which point I came upon a bus. I spent half of the next 15min either waiting behind a stopped bus, or waiting for traffic to clear so I could overtake said stopped bus.

At no point did I hold up any bus or other vehicle.. I think one taxi overtook me.

It was so slow I'll stick to my busy back-street route in future.
duncanm
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby Kraeg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:39 pm

I find buses (and taxis) hold me up quite a bit in the CBD. They also move from the left non-bus lane into the bus lane before fully passing me (I stick closer to the right side of the bus lane now). And buses are slowed down even more by all those people wanting to get on and off them (see, if they all owned and drove cars instead, they wouldn't be stopping for passengers all the time, and then there'd be no buses for cyclists to slow down, and things would flow much better!).
Kraeg
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby Schmenz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:24 pm

familyguy wrote:Initial letter: http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/yo ... june-30-1/

MD letter wrote:Cyclist problem in McCarrs Creek Rd
AS a frequent user of McCarrs Creek Rd, I am appalled at the lack of concern by Pittwater Council for the safety of cyclists who, for whatever reason, choose that route as part of their cycling tour.
There are always some on that road throughout the day, but on weekends hundreds use it, forcing motorists on the way up, with no alternative but to cross over the double white lines which are there from top to bottom because of all the bends, therefore taking a risk that another car or a pack of cyclists might be racing down towards you.
The council’s recommendation is to “take care”, which one obviously does, but with the cyclists labouring up that hill at no more than 5km/h it would have to be a very careful driver to stay behind at that speed.
Once would be enough but that is repeated from Church Point to the Mona Vale Rd end. Perhaps Clover Moore needs to come over and do her stuff.
Mike Judd, Church Point


It was so misguided that I actually wrote in about this one.



Replies (one is mine, one is a very regular contributor on cycling matters to the Letters): http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/yo ... -july-2-2/

MD letters wrote:Don’t only blame council for safety
WITH reference to Mike Judd (MD June 30) I would say that it is not solely the council who is showing lack of concern for cyclists’ safety. It is not the council behind the wheel of the car. Nor is it the council who rides three abreast up the hill.
On weekends, hundreds of riders use McCarrs Creek Rd as an enjoyable, challenging stretch of road. I have followed groups of riders up the hill while driving, and there are opportunities to pass in safety.
I have ridden up with small groups and been passed safely. Large groups can be more difficult to navigate around, but the opportunities are there.
On occasion, a vehicle will muscle past in an unsafe and aggressive manner for whatever reason.
I agree that motorists have little alternative but to cross the double white lines. This can bring conflict with their beliefs of law-abiding driving habits, and can increase the risk of collision. The council appears justifiably unable to repair, widen, or revise this road without major impacts to residents, bushland, wildlife and costs.
One has only to look at the opposition to the mountain bikers of the area recently from private groups to realise the outcry that works to this road would cause.
To those who feel aggrieved at the inconvenience of being held up for mere minutes, the rider you swerve around and narrowly miss (or don’t miss, as has happened) could be your workmate, neighbour, or friend.
James Hutchison, Cromer

Rider should take alternative route
IF Mike Judd is so concerned about the safety of cyclists on McCarrs Creek Rd he might choose to simply obey the law and not cross the double white lines, just as he would if stuck behind a large truck, a learner or elderly driver (MD June 30). In fact, he could count his blessings that cyclists do not obscure his view or fill his lungs with toxic exhaust fumes. If obeying the rules of the road is too difficult, he could always choose an alternative route. This is what those thousands of cyclists are doing, avoiding the traffic and foul air on Sydney’s other roads by heading to the relatively car-free areas of Pittwater. As they are the majority of road users in that area, perhaps the majority should rule.
Michael McGrath, Manly Vale


Jim



ooo thank you!

interesting..

as an aside - they really need to resurface that loop... not just fix chunks. (or as it is at the moment - outline the squares and leave it 5 months before doing anything - im not holding my breath for them to actually do the work)
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com
User avatar
Schmenz
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Manly Daily on Saturday someone has written in about cyclist around Bayview.. not too sure what footpath they are talking about..?
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
User avatar
Addictr3
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Manly, Sydney

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby familyguy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Manly Daily on Saturday someone has written in about cyclist around Bayview.. not too sure what footpath they are talking about..?


Yeah, read that. Thats the beauty of it, you dont have to specifiy a footpath to make everyone nod and go "yeah, happened to me too". :lol:

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Bus Lanes in Sydney

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Saw your post though was good, also another cyclist wrote in, was really good!

Yep, I ride Bayview 6/7 times a week, you might even know me haha. I was up there this afternoon and saw a path along the road that heads up to church point, and its hardly a footpath, its gravel, she must mean more down towards the boat ramp area?
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
User avatar
Addictr3
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Manly, Sydney



Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Revolution2014


PM Issues
Known Bug - error message displayed when sending PM's caused by tapatalk. Read more


Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit