Sydney to Orange NSW

scotto

Re: Sydney to Orange NSW

Postby scotto » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 am

Addictr3 wrote:LOL OK OK on Bells line of Rd, I'd like to live!

So GWH all the way to Bathurst? Some were saying do that alt route, but if GWH is safe all the way, I'll do it?
GWH all the way in my opinion, but -yes- definitely at least till Bathurst

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Man bit confused now,

so I can get to Lithgow no worries, from here do I take..

(A) Lithgow to Bathurst via the GWH?
(B) Lithgow via South Bowenfels? which links up back to Bathurst?

or

(c) Skip Bathurst and go via the road to Newbridge,
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Man bit confused now,

so I can get to Lithgow no worries, from here do I take..

(A) Lithgow to Bathurst via the GWH?
(B) Lithgow via South Bowenfels? which links up back to Bathurst?

or

(c) Skip Bathurst and go via the road to Newbridge,
I'd recommend this route: http://g.co/maps/ccqx6
GWH - Lithgow to Bathurst to Georges Plains (this road used by local cyclists), then Newbridge to Blayney to Millthorpe, Spring Hill, Huntley Rd to Orange. Best mix of scenery and safety I think.

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Personally I'd take the route with the least traffic, its more pleasant without cars and trucks wizzing by.

BNSW is doing something on Orange in March http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/content/discovery_weekend
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted Russ. I'll take your advice but Mike thanks as well!

Quite sounds good. I am either heading out there next week say Thursday/Friday or Saturday.. :-)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 pm

Let us know how it went, give us feedback on whatever route you finally chose
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:37 am

Good luck with the ride, and if you can get some pics for the ride report :wink:
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Sure will guys, will be posting pics and a report :-) Merry Christmas and Thanks again.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:57 pm

so after a very un-organised ride, I made it to Lithgow and called it quits.

Firstly; my pre NYE Celebrations didnt help, I shared 2 bottles of Red between 3 people. I also got it bed around 3:30am. But I was so pumped to ride, I got up at 5am and off I went.

Oh.. I must add, I did try and book accomodation in Bathurst, but I called 8pm NYE and they were closed, then again at 7am at the start of the M4 and again no answer, so from the get go, I was always thinking, (A) I stay in Lithgow for the night, cycle to Bathurst the next day and then onto Orange, kind of make a few days of just touring or (B) Just cycle to Bathurst and look for any old place. Instead I took the train home!

The M4 was OK, sections were really poor while others were good. I head a head wind the whole way up to the first climb. That first climb going up to the mountains is a killer lol,

Then on through the Mountains, I had to take a few detours as Roadworks were on etc, so that was no problem. Next came Mt Victoria where I took the back road to Hartley Vale, which was really scary. That down hill section, where the road is just dirty was crap. I nearly died there I sware, car flew around the corner and I was gone for all $$$ but lucky he stopped and I managed to avoid atleast 30 pot holes. Finally a road appears and I was laughing again! Except the next part. I spoke to some local cyclist who was out on his morning coffee ride and he was saying I should either turn left at some T intersection and head back to the Highway or I could go the back way over Doctors Gap. I decided on Doctors gap as I saw a sign saying Lithgow 10km. Well the next part was HELL. That hill is verticle. LOL I saw cars going backwards.................

Anyways, after countless sware words I got up that mother of a climb, I was spent. I got down to the bottom of that road that appears to be Lithgow, but not by my GPS, I had my Iphone out and checking where I was, it was saying it was further on, so I continued to cycle on, around 20km and I kept seeing Sydney/Richmond signs.. (Damnnn) I was on Bells Line of Rd and heading back on the other damn Freeway! The climbs were huge and I was pissed again.. I checked the Iphone and saw that the dot that was representing where I was, was moving FURTHER away from Lithgow, not TOWARDS :(

So angry! I made it back and decided to just leave it at that, but I will be back.

Cheers

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:30 pm

LOL, sounds like you had a real adventure out there.
Rule number one of Long Rides - Know exactly which roads you have to take and that they are passable by bike, ie some roads on maps are rough dirt/fire roads, not very suitable for skinny tyres. I usually do a recon ride (by motorbike) if i am organising a long ride so i am prepared and dont p!$$ off my riding buddies. If i am riding solo then i wing it most of the time as the only person to annoy is myself but still good to know the right roads to take.
Well done though, still a mega long way to go :D

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:26 pm

Cheers mate,

I had it planned but I kinda liked the whole "unknown" feature as well, so I was just on my way! I knew if worst came to worst, train line is pretty much there, so was ready. I actually rode with a Camelbak just to store some clothes (as I was planning on staying in Bathurst) and food, tubes etc etc. i also had my Ipod, but didnt listen to it, only on the train home :-P

I did 182km all up, and avg just under 30kph, around 29.8 (Tail winds around Mt Vic, Bell)