Tour De Tasmania

christian.lags

Tour De Tasmania

Postby christian.lags » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi guys,
A mate and I are planning to tour Tasmania around late December early January.
Just wondering if anyone here has done it. I'd love to hear your experiences.
We're deciding whether to do the 1 week route on the east coast.

Just post any tips you guys have!
thanks guys

mcdurdin

Re: Tour De Tasmania

Postby mcdurdin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Sounds great! There are two main options for a 1 week tour that I've seen: the east coast route, which is sunny, undulating, but not overly challenging, with great coastal scenery, or the west coast route, which is often wet, with many long steep climbs, but with incredible mountain and lake scenery and virtually devoid of traffic. If you are totally mad, you can do the whole circuit of east and west coast in a week! I have heard of people doing a north coast ride, which would also be fun, but that has a lot more traffic and less spectacular scenery.

So basically: if you want an unforgettable and enjoyable week in the sun, with beautiful scenery and plenty of places to stop and enjoy, do the east coast. On the other hand, if you want an unforgettable experience, complete with rain, cold, gruelling climbs, and almost no signs of civilisation apart from the very road you are riding on, do the west coast. I'd probably do the west coast :)
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

christian.lags

Postby christian.lags » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Just wondering if you could post details about the bike you used.
I was just going to use my roadie, giant defy 1, and just add some extra things to it eg pannier racks, puncture proof tyres etc.
Id love to know how much money the tour cost you.

Btw we're coming from victoria, w'e're wondering whether to take the S.O.T or to fly over

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:14 pm

I was riding on a steel frame Superlite when I did most of my west coast riding. As a local, I wouldn't usually go on a paid-for tour, although I've tagged along the last couple of days of one tour with www.islandcycletours.com (who did a fantastic job, by the way, but have now closed doors). These days on a slightly newer bike, but definitely go puncture resistant tyres and panniers if you are unsupported. If it's a supported tour (lots of fun, more social, much less to organise, lots more expensive), skip the panniers.

I've got no idea of current costs. Spirit of Tasmania is expensive these days; I'd take it only for the experience. Of course if you fly over you have to deal with disassembling/reassembling bikes and weight limits, etc.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:34 pm

There is a bit of info on crazyguyonabike.com This is my little trip http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/8120

Not sure how the costs compare flying vsboat. I took my touring bike on the boat on my trip to the world champs in Geelong, obviously the price will vary on what ticket you get. But the price for a bike was $7. I got a 4 bed room ticket both ways but if you can sleep in a chair ...."ocean recliner" then you can save some more money.

As for the cost of the tour itself, that is going to vary a lot. So called credit card tourers carry as little as possible and stay in accomodation each night. Others carry everything, kitchen sink and all and catch fish and forage for free feeds bush tuckerman style. Some people keep good records on spending in their journals on CGOAB, thats a good way to get an idea of what it might cost.

cheers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:06 pm

mcdurdin wrote:I've got no idea of current costs. Spirit of Tasmania is expensive these days; I'd take it only for the experience. Of course if you fly over you have to deal with disassembling/reassembling bikes and weight limits, etc.
Just bought my tickets for the Spirit - $199 each way on daytime sailings, or $149 with their 'Spirit' fare, plus $6 each way. Overnight fare is $291 each way.

I'm going by ship because of the simplicity - roll-on, roll-off. Breaking down a fully loaded tourer is for the birds, and an awful hassle if you've got the whole family as I will have.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:00 am

We're landing in Devonport off the Spirit on Tuesday evening, for an 18 day tour of Tassie. There are going to be 15 of us, riding touring bikes and camping self-sufficiently. New Years Day will see us arriving in Richmond.

Really lookng forward to a very enjoyable tour of the east of the island :D
Mandatory helmet law?

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Best wishes for a great tour il padrone. I guess, from your various posts, that you are coming from Bothwell on New Years Day, over to the Midland Highway, down to Brighton, and along Tea Tree road, then Middle Tea Tree road, past the golf club, and into Richmond. There are a number of BNA enthusiasts around Hobart, and we will keep a look out for your group. On Monday 2/1/12, are you travelling out of Richmond toward Campania, then east along Finger Post Rd to reach the Tasman Highway?
Have fun
Jeff

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:38 pm

master6 wrote:Best wishes for a great tour il padrone. I guess, from your various posts, that you are coming from Bothwell on New Years Day, over to the Midland Highway,
.....then turn left to Jericho, and cut across to the road down the hills through Colebrook and Campania into Richmond.

master6 wrote:There are a number of BNA enthusiasts around Hobart, and we will keep a look out for your group. On Monday 2/1/12, are you travelling out of Richmond toward Campania, then east along Finger Post Rd to reach the Tasman Highway?
That would be great if we meet any fellow cyclists. Yes, we will be taking that route out of Richmond, to the Tasman Hwy and on to Triabunna - our jumping off point for Maria Island.
Mandatory helmet law?

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:01 pm

I think Master6 and I will be riding with you back up to Triabunna is it?

Max

Tour De Tasmania

Postby Max » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I can't wait to hear all about your trip, ip :)

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Cant get my PM's out of "outbox" Rob, so copied message here:-

Rob, according to the post by il padrone, they are leaving Bothwell on Sunday, and riding to Jericho, then down Richmond rd through Colebrook and Campania. According to google, this is 81km. Lets assume they depart at 8am. They are on touring bikes, so wont be fast, and I guess they might stop in Jericho. What do you think about riding out to meet them on Sunday, leaving Richmond at 8.30am.?

Jeff

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Sunday 1st...Ill be coming back from Bruny on the 1st but keen for a ride on the 2nd?

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:49 pm

il padrone wrote:
master6 wrote:Best wishes for a great tour il padrone. I guess, from your various posts, that you are coming from Bothwell on New Years Day, over to the Midland Highway,
.....then turn left to Jericho, and cut across to the road down the hills through Colebrook and Campania into Richmond.

master6 wrote:There are a number of BNA enthusiasts around Hobart, and we will keep a look out for your group. On Monday 2/1/12, are you travelling out of Richmond toward Campania, then east along Finger Post Rd to reach the Tasman Highway?
That would be great if we meet any fellow cyclists. Yes, we will be taking that route out of Richmond, to the Tasman Hwy and on to Triabunna - our jumping off point for Maria Island.
Il padrone, if you happen to be using this miracle media system, roughly what time might you head out of Richmond on Monday morning?