REMINDER - protect against damaged goods

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

REMINDER - protect against damaged goods

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:05 pm

From a member PM, this is an important reminder to check second hand goods first before buying.

The example was an ebay sale where a potential buyer was able to check a Carbon Fibre frame before purchase, and discovered that it was cracked, saving him a bad investment - so even on the BNA Market Place, take the steps necessary if you are buying as it is possible to a seller to knowlingly or unknowingly offers faulty or damaged items for sale.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

by BNA » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:43 pm

BNA

Re: REMINDER - protect againts damaged goods

Postby Nobody » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:43 pm

When it comes to bikes or bike parts on eBay, I think I've been ripped off more than I've got good value for secondhand stuff. I've got to the point now where I either buy new or not at all (unless I'm deliberately buying a junker).

As for buying a carbon frame on eBay that turns out to be cracked. No surprises there. I often wonder why anyone buys carbon secondhand.
Nobody

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:00 pm

I recently faced this situation selling a used Anthem X 29er for a mate who was in a sticky financial situation and desperately needed the money.

I put it up for him on my eBay account, but (fortunately as it turns out) I let myself be successfully pestered into selling it off eBay by a persistent buyer.

I took the bike for a test ride before listing and all seemed fine to me, including the fork lock out. I almost purchased it myself in fact, the only reason I didn't was that the bike was a size smaller than my usual ride and I thought I'd be better test riding the Large just to be sure.

Seller got very cranky with me - part of my test ride involved riding down a few flights of stairs, something any mtb should be able to take in its stride. and which I do for fun / skills sharpening on my own bikes nearly every weekend. Our local trail has rougher descents that we ride every weekend in any case. I suppose that reaction should have been a clue, in retrospect.

It turns out the fork stanchions had a slight (3mm) bend in them, which the buyer only picked up when he took it to a LBS to get serviced a week later due to lockout problems. I certainly didn't notice it. If I had, it would have either been disclosed or more likely returned to my mate, his desperation notwithstanding.

Fortunately I had disclosed the fact I was selling on another's behalf and, with the money out of my hands that night, there wasn't a whole lot I could do for the guy who bought it. My mate had decamped to Perth from Sydney pursuing a job offer and had no spare cash in any case. More than likely he'd have blamed me for doing "something" to the bike. :(

Quite possibly the buyer, a newb, stacked the bike after he took it away from my place, but the bike shop mechanic's reported comments did provide a more credible explanation of why the front wheel had been re-laced than my mate's "they all came loose and were replaced by KOM2 under warranty"

Unfortunately I'll never know the truth, but as a result I won't be selling on behalf of another again.

On the other hand, I've successfully bought a number bikes and other second hand items on ebay, but would never buy a carbon bike second hand.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Was that the same bike you were trying to sell me?(Just being cheeky)

For the Newbies:
- Steel can retain most of it's strength even when bent and returned to form
- Aluminium looses stength once bent, dented, knocked outside of it's original form (so don't buy a damaged Aluminium frame)
- Carbon Fibre can take a pounding however damage can be difficult to recognise and can even be hidden from view.

This is a really simplistic and can be discussed in detail however unless you buy new (and have warranty) or really know the history of the bike, be cautious. I like the suggestion of getting it checked by a mechanic before purchase - if the seller doesn't want it, then be wary.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby antipodean » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:52 pm

againts?
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales