Bruce Highway

Bruce Highway

Postby kernowman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Just wondering who the genius was today in Saxobank kit at about 10:30am riding up the Bruce Highway, around Glass House Mountains a section of road that is 110kph - pure madness!
kernowman
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:09 pm
Location: Springfield Lakes, QLD

by BNA » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:53 pm

BNA
 

Re: Bruce Highway

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Plenty do it unfortunately. Plenty have been hit as well. At least it's safer (possibly) than the tool I saw riding southbound over the Gateway Bridge earlier this year
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Bruce Highway

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:45 pm

It's perfectly legal as far as i'm aware, though obviously inadvisable at certain times. I've ridden on the highway between cooroy and yandina a few times, though only in the early morning, well after sunrise, with enough lights to land a jumbo. It's arguably safer than most of the other roads around here as it has such a wide shoulder and good visibility. I certainly wouldn't ride the glass house section at that time though, at least not without an escort like Dave Alley had.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 7084
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Bruce Highway

Postby briztoon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:36 am

I've been meaning to ask about riding over the Gateway. :D
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Bruce Highway

Postby Abby » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:08 am

Yep - Bruce Highway is legal to ride on from about Caboolture, from memory... Not that I would do it - apart from the traffic, its much nicer and more scenic inland...

As for the Gateway - of course you can ride over it, there is a nice new separated path on the Eastern side of the souhbound bridge for cyclists. :D Its part of my daily cycle-commute, and I can vouch for it as an excellent piece of infrastructure. If no-one else is on the path, I usually start tapping the brakes at about 60km/h on the descent... :shock:

Cheers,
Abby
Abby
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:41 am

Re: Bruce Highway

Postby beanspropulsion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:54 am

The 2nd Womble wrote: At least it's safer (possibly) than the tool I saw riding southbound over the Gateway Bridge earlier this year


other posters are obviously confused because of the stupidity of the action you describe.

You obviously mean on the actual road and not the cycle path :shock:
User avatar
beanspropulsion
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Northside Brisbane

Re: Bruce Highway

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:44 am

beanspropulsion wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote: At least it's safer (possibly) than the tool I saw riding southbound over the Gateway Bridge earlier this year


other posters are obviously confused because of the stupidity of the action you describe.

You obviously mean on the actual road and not the cycle path :shock:

Bingo. He was repairing a flat in the breakdown lane just before the Lytton Rd exit. No other qay he could have got there
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Bruce Highway

Postby notwal » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:13 pm

^^^ The entry to the cycle path at the North end is not that obvious, but the on ramps are signed to exclude bicycles.
judged, insulted, gone
User avatar
notwal
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Bruce Highway

Postby London Boy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Abby wrote:As for the Gateway - of course you can ride over it, there is a nice new separated path on the Eastern side of the souhbound bridge for cyclists. :D Its part of my daily cycle-commute, and I can vouch for it as an excellent piece of infrastructure. If no-one else is on the path, I usually start tapping the brakes at about 60km/h on the descent... :shock:

In a 10kmh speed limit zone? :shock:

Should be ashamed. I tend to pedal quite hard on the way back down. It would be a shame to waste the slope...
User avatar
London Boy
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Bruce Highway

Postby Abby » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Its not a 10km/h speed limit zone.

There are yellow-&-black speed advisory signs, but no speed limits signs. Happy to stand corrected though if I've missed some - although as I said, I ride it almost every day and haven't seen any... :wink:

Cheers,
Abby
Abby
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:41 am


Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers