Compression Shirt

msconfig

Compression Shirt

Postby msconfig » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Hey Guys,

Just purchased a new bike and I'm starting to order some gear in. The last thing I need to order is clothing. I've chosen my bibs and shorts however I'm not too sure on the shirt/top. I've taken a look into jerseys however most were too "colourful" and I'd prefer something simple and clean looking. After having a look at jerseys I ended up turning to compression clothing which are usually fairly plain (what I want). Judging by my understanding and research, compression clothing is suppose to be worn under clothes. Is this correct? Also, as I'm new to cycling I'm not sure of current trends and "stigma". Would I look like a tool wearing a plain compression shirt without a jersey/shirt over it?

Thanks

RonK

Compression Shirt

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Gumby - the term is gumby.

There are many choices of plain jerseys available if you don't care for team strips, however being 'colourful' is a safety strategy most of us adopt willingly.

You could lend a hand to our NZ cousins in earthquake-ravaged Christchurch by getting some gear from groundeffect.co.nz

Or there is a fantastic array of printed jerseys by Primal and Retro Image. Bicyclinghub.com is an excellent source for these brands. The Bicycling Australia web site also lists these brands, but at double the price.

Then there are some great printed jerseys available from foskas.com.
Last edited by RonK on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Schmenz

Re: Compression Shirt

Postby Schmenz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:41 pm

i always wear a compression top. did the first ride yesterday without one and i have to say i prefer wearing it.

but they have no pockets at the back to carry your handbag / kitchen sink in (yes im female and like to carry the world with me).

there are lots of plain jerseys out there.

i dont like wearing branded stuff as i figure if you want to wear a TDF jersey you have to have the skills to match, and i clearly dont so i steer clear of them.

i do advise steering clear of black in low light / bad weather tho (and also in the heat!)
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi gumby. :mrgreen:

You need a cycle shirt for visibility as RonK said, and you need pockets for your phone, just encase you need help, also you need to carry some ID and money for your coffee or food if you get lost somewhere.
You don’t want to wear a singlet and look like a dork or a Gumby, because if you get a flat looking like that, not many cyclists will help you and if they do, make sure you have a spare tube with you.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

msconfig

Postby msconfig » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Judging by some of your comments it doesn't seem wise to wear a compression shirt :(

I've noted the visibility issue some of you guys raise however I was looking at purchasing a white compression shirt, not a black one. Would that make it more suitable or will I still be frowned upon?

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:17 pm

msconfig wrote:Judging by some of your comments it doesn't seem wise to wear a compression shirt :(

I've noted the visibility issue some of you guys raise however I was looking at purchasing a white compression shirt, not a black one. Would that make it more suitable or will I still be frowned upon?
As long as it has pockets. Don't worry if it's frowned upon, as long as you are happy.
I would grimace, but only because I am a bike snob 8)
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Please don't tell me you are going to wear compression underwear as well

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Does it matter what you would be refered to as? if thats what you are comfortable wearing abd the white would stabd out, then go for it.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Skins C400 Compression Jersey, in white.

You are welcome :lol:

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Baldy wrote:Skins C400 Compression Jersey, in white.

You are welcome :lol:
holy batman thats $$$. if compression shirt is what you want, the skins one looks like the goods AND more importantly has the rear pockets.

But if all you want is a plain looking jersey ... there are definitely cheaper options. If your only looking at jerseys from LBS's in Adelaide (I have wasted my time looking) I can understand you will have trouble finding a plain looking jersey for under $100, go look at wiggle and c r c, plenty plainer looking ones there.

If your worried about looking too gumby just start riding with shorts (over your cycling shorts) and a running type top (sweat wicking).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:01 am

Wear what you like/feel comfortable in. Anybody (except Apple :wink: ) who gives you the verbal/visual sneer is not worth associating with.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:31 am

Yeah they are not the cheapest option. But c r c do them for about the same price as a regular LBS jersey here, in some cases less.

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=51394 $115

If you are willing to wait for an additional discount code you can get a bit more off it.

C400 is good stuff, I had to get it all. For the free shipping, you see.... :wink: :mrgreen:

zephy

Postby zephy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:19 am

wear what you like, I go the compression shirt sometimes with just a t-shirt over the top (don't want ppl distracted by my six pack (jk)).... not the best aero wise but I'm not riding to win anything..... at least not at present.... there are no pockets but I have a small gear bag mounted on the top tube and against the head stem containing patch kit, tube, phone, wallet, tyre levers and pump..... self sufficiency, works for me, others can do what they like on their self/bike.....

Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

theclayster

Postby theclayster » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:22 pm

By the way guys, and feedback on compression clothes actually working? Heard different rummors about skins and 2xu, not sure if they are true? Do they really help recovery or not?

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Last edited by clackers on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:00 pm

theclayster wrote:By the way guys, and feedback on compression clothes actually working? Heard different rummors about skins and 2xu, not sure if they are true? Do they really help recovery or not?
Ooh, call in the Hurt Locker guys, there's a Truth Bomb that might go off!

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:58 pm

theclayster wrote:By the way guys, and feedback on compression clothes actually working? Heard different rummors about skins and 2xu, not sure if they are true? Do they really help recovery or not?
Kind of two different things going on here. True compression garments are really tight and supposedly help muscles repair quicker after intense activity. So for cyclists, compression socks or tights could be useful. Debatable though.

So-called compression jerseys would do nothing for cyclists. They might help weight-lifters. Cycling jerseys are tight-fitting for other reasons, like wicking sweat and reducing flapping in the wind. But that's just tight-fitting, not a true compression garment.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:05 pm

If there is any real benefit I think its small enough that its not really noticeable. It may exist but there are so many other factors that influence performance/recovery which makes it hard or impossible to tell.

What I can say is that the Skins C400 stuff is good quality. The bibs are awesome, the chamois is elastasized ?[is that a word] at certain points. So when you are not wearing them it kind of bunches up a bit at those points. I guess the idea is when you put them on there is increased support in those areas. Whatever, they are just very nice to ride in that's all I care about.

As for the jersey, well its aero! :oops: Also very comfy. It also breathes much better than an older skins long sleeve top I have.

Also because they are both tight fitting they don't move. So you will get the sharpest tan lines on the block :lol:

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:43 pm

If you want cheap plain cycling jerseys, check out mupi as they have a wide selection of team clothes as well as plain generic stuff. Reasonably cheap and quality of their jerseys are pretty good. Just don't touch their bibs/pants.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

mdeshon

Postby mdeshon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Wiggle has a good range of cheap, plain jerseys in bright colours. I've got a couple of DHB jerseys and they wear very well.