Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby dfc. » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:31 pm

My brothers friend rode up Bolan st in Bulimba, that is a fairly massive hill for that area. Yesterday, I rode up Hamilton Rd after Trouts Rd in Chermside West, man, that was hard.

Also, the new Gateway bridge bikeway is pretty bad, but nothing compared to Gower st Toowong!
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!
dfc.
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:09 pm

by BNA » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:40 pm

BNA
 

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:40 pm

The bit of bike / ped path I was referring to at 36% was built at the same time as the rest of Roseville Bridge, which I think is late 60's vintage.

Clearly standards back then were not as well thought through. It is quite treacheroud to walk down, particularly when wet, and I was dependant on the brakes on my bike to stay upright (was walking back down under the bridge to get under cover on a wet morning to untangle the bad dose of chain suck I'd just inflicted on myself :oops: ).

You can also see it from way the bike path has been constructed across the span as well - transverse slabs of concrete with edges that match poorly and are prone to yahoos stomping and breaking them. Provides a great view to the water 60m below. :x A more crap section of bike path construction I cannot imagine.

So while it would probably be impossile to get such stupid designs and construction approved these days, it wasn't always so.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 9925
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby Runjikol » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 pm

Rider123 wrote:There are a couple of steep, short hills in my area - Melb South- East

I do hill repeats every second week up Baker Ave, Glen Waverley. Max 20% Gradient, Average 12% Gradient for 250m.
I get up the hill (AT) about 25-26km/hr and repeat 6 times with 5 mins rest in between. Never fails to get my HR in the RED zone and makes me sick for an hour afterwards. Hardest bike session by far!


You're not too far from Sunnybrook Avenue, Wheelers Hill. Do you happen to know its gradient?

Anyone know the gradient of Eastfield Rd. Ringwood East, heading up from Bayswater Rd. towards Ringwood (heading west)?
--Current rides: Cannondale Bad Boy 8 || Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18
Runjikol
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby cf73 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Not sure of the gradient (probably around the 10-12% mark I would think) but the climb to Stanwell Tops (Bald Hill) is a good one. Around 1.5km in length and climbing from near sea level to around 500 feet. I am not a good climber but it takes me around 10mins to complete which I find exhausting...especially after Christmas.....
Also the road back to Wollongong has a good climb at the southern end of the Seacliff bridge (on the Grand Pacific Drive). Maybe there are members on here from the Wollongong area that have a GPS and know these gradients.
How do you like them ******* apples???
User avatar
cf73
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby sblack » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:35 am

cf73 wrote:Not sure of the gradient (probably around the 10-12% mark I would think) but the climb to Stanwell Tops (Bald Hill) is a good one. Around 1.5km in length and climbing from near sea level to around 500 feet. I am not a good climber but it takes me around 10mins to complete which I find exhausting...especially after Christmas.....
Also the road back to Wollongong has a good climb at the southern end of the Seacliff bridge (on the Grand Pacific Drive). Maybe there are members on here from the Wollongong area that have a GPS and know these gradients.

I haven't ridden up it yet but according to Strava Bald Hill is 1.3 km at 9.8%. Doesn't say what the peaks are though. Closer to home I have Stockyard Mountain Rd which is 2.0 km at 12.2% average, peaks somewhere around 18%. The toughest I've done yet is Saddleback Mountain which is 5.1 km at 9.9% with the real killer being the final few hundred metres to the carpark at the top which hits 20-21%.
Image
User avatar
sblack
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby bretthanlon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:54 pm

I did Upper Brookfield Road, Gold Creek Road, Savages Road, Haven Road and Hillbrook Road this morning and agree the gradiant is at least 20% according to my Garmin 800 but 35%+ seems a little on the high side. That said both Haven & Hillbrook Roads did beat me. I highly recommend the ride to anyone in Brisbane - it's a quiet dead end road therfore minimal traffic with some nice smooth hot mix ashphalt sections combined with some narly hillclimbs (double Mt Cootha's 10% gradiant). Great training for the Mt Cootha Challenge in a couple of months. :idea:
bretthanlon
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:08 pm

One of my local climbs is 16km at 7 or 8 %, but one section is 19% for 2km's average... and as far as I can tell the Tour de France is going up it next year :D .
Puts Alpe D'huez to shame... pity they are not finishing on top :evil: .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby notwal » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:46 pm

toolonglegs wrote:One of my local climbs is 16km at 7 or 8 %, but one section is 19% for 2km's average... and as far as I can tell the Tour de France is going up it next year :D .
Puts Alpe D'huez to shame... pity they are not finishing on top :evil: .

What gears would the pros use for that?
judged, insulted, gone
User avatar
notwal
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:46 pm

number21 wrote:I stayed at Maroochydore over xmas last year and found some steep suckers around Buderim. Going off the road signs there was a variety of 12-15% climbs about, although curiousity got the better of me the day we were scheduled to leave for home when I just had to detour down a road marked as 20% 0.6km.


I train round Buderim reasonably regularly and there are some real corkers in that area. I can't remember the street name atm but coming from the middle of maroochydore, over the road out to kunda park the road rears up and even with a 39-32 it kills me every time. HE....EE...EE..AAVE down with one foot, moving about 30 centimetres, then HEE...EE...EE..AVE down with the other for the same depressingly small reward, repeat for about a kilometre, maybe a little more. Luckily it eases right off through the middle for a roundabout but then kicks up again well before you can even think about catching your breath. I've done another one approaching Buderim from the south, coming up from the University area, and while it wasn't as steep, it was still a very good workout. The reward for both of these is going down the main road towards the Sunshine Motorway/Wises Rd, lots of fun :) .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:47 pm

notwal wrote:What gears would the pros use for that?


53-21 lol
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:52 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
notwal wrote:What gears would the pros use for that?


53-21 lol


Yeah the whippets will probably go up in big ring!... The autobus boys at the back will be in granny all the way. It is freaking hard work but flattens out a bit afterwards... Once they post maps I will know more... As they may bypass it via an easier route up. Hope not though.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby Le Velo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:One of my local climbs is 16km at 7 or 8 %, but one section is 19% for 2km's average... and as far as I can tell the Tour de France is going up it next year :D .
Puts Alpe D'huez to shame... pity they are not finishing on top :evil: .


Toolonglegs, I assume that you are referring to the col du colombier? Are you planning to ride the route on the day? I will be taking the bike home to give it a go myself :shock:
Image
User avatar
Le Velo
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Le Velo wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:One of my local climbs is 16km at 7 or 8 %, but one section is 19% for 2km's average... and as far as I can tell the Tour de France is going up it next year :D .
Puts Alpe D'huez to shame... pity they are not finishing on top :evil: .


Toolonglegs, I assume that you are referring to the col du colombier? Are you planning to ride the route on the day? I will be taking the bike home to give it a go myself :shock:


Shame on you!... I am referring to col du grand colombier !.... :lol: . But I know we are talking about the same hill.
Just looked at the profile chart... seems they are going up from Culoz ( "easy side" :cry: ) then going over col de richemond before finishing in Bellegarde.
Shame as if they had gone up the hard side it would have been epic.
I am not sure where I will be...hopefully guiding again :D .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby Ken Ho » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:03 pm

There is a stretch of hill on Haddock Dive in Gladstone marked 25%, but I don't know for a fact that it is. It's a tough climb though, steep enough.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Pikey, based on Southern Gold Coast

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby Le Velo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:11 am

Toolonglegs, I was referring to the grand yes .... I will be there from culoz onwards as it is closer to seyssel (hometown) and look forward to the climb event ..... Bellegarde as an arrival isn't the best choice in my opinion .... Ah well.
Image
User avatar
Le Velo
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby dobby » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:22 am

There is a street past the Uni circuit in Toowoomba called Hayden Street (in the Mount Rascal area) that is about 26% near the top. I have ridden up it a couple times and it is the one climb I have done where I got halfway up, couldn't continue and had to go back and get a bit of a run-up, because starting again on that gradient is almost impossible.

Another section of rediculous "steep" is the Blanchview climb which is part of the Ride the Range event here in Toowoomba - I remember doing it last year and the demoralising thing at the foot of the hill is a sign that reads BEGINNING CATEGORY 2 climb - 20% incline. I got up that section but was "gone" then and saw a guy cramp in front of me and just fall over in slow motion - having been there and done that I stopped and helped him, but couldnt get the bike started again and had to walk until the climb flattened.

Nothing like the 36% mentioned by the OP though.
Image
dobby
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:57 am
Location: Toowoomba, Qld

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 pm

dobby wrote:Another section of rediculous "steep" is the Blanchview climb which is part of the Ride the Range event here in Toowoomba - I remember doing it last year and the demoralising thing at the foot of the hill is a sign that reads BEGINNING CATEGORY 2 climb - 20% incline. I got up that section but was "gone" then and saw a guy cramp in front of me and just fall over in slow motion - having been there and done that I stopped and helped him, but couldnt get the bike started again and had to walk until the climb flattened.



I did that ride this year, and the climb at the end easily got the better of me, i walked ALL of it.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby Purt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Ok guys just got back from a recon of Haven Rd. I got up to the top in 39/23 quite easily. I didn't even think the hill that op mentioned was it so kept riding to the end of the road waiting for a killer hill :oops: . No where near 36%, I'd say closer to just over 20% although as others said my garmin did say it was 33%. It's comparable to the steep pinch on the samsonvale side of Clear Mt which the sign says 20 but I think it reaches 22 or 23 at parts only difference is Haven Rd is longer. Still a killer climb and a really nice road if you go to the end with some decent views, I'd recommend it. These pics were taken with a phone so they're pretty crap and they were taken on the way down (I was considering using them as a reason to stop on the way up :oops: ) Garmin connect page: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/136929964

Image
From the bottom looking up.

Image
The famous gate :|

Image
Looking down from the famous gate.

Image
Looking up from the gate.

Image
Down from the corner towards the famous gate.

Image
Looking up from the same corner to the top.

Image
View from the top of the "36%" climb

Image

Image
View of Mt Cootha

Image
This is further up the road, can't really tell from the photo but this looked and felt much steeper than the 36 hill

Image
Further up again. This bit hurt, probably the hardest bit of the road.

Image
Looking up from the same place. Still managed to do the whole of road in 2nd (39/23)

Image
View from the top of the road.

Was planning on hitting up Mayfield Ct on the way back but was too tired, so planning on doing it tomorrow. I've ridden up about 4 years ago on a mtb so hoping I can do it on a roadie now. From what I can remember mayfield is going to be much harder and steeper than Haven Rd was.

ps ultremos are completely crap in the wet
User avatar
Purt
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:55 pm

bretthanlon wrote:I did Upper Brookfield Road, Gold Creek Road, Savages Road, Haven Road and Hillbrook Road this morning and agree the gradiant is at least 20% according to my Garmin 800 but 35%+ seems a little on the high side. That said both Haven & Hillbrook Roads did beat me. I highly recommend the ride to anyone in Brisbane - it's a quiet dead end road therfore minimal traffic with some nice smooth hot mix ashphalt sections combined with some narly hillclimbs (double Mt Cootha's 10% gradiant). Great training for the Mt Cootha Challenge in a couple of months. :idea:



Nice !!! Not surprised that Haven Rd beat you though - it is STEEP !!!

Next time you're out this way, try Boscombe Rd instead of Haven and Hillbrook.

I am going to do Upper Brookfield, Savages and Gold Creek Rds tomorrow morning.

Cheers
Rhubarb
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Purt wrote:Ok guys just got back from a recon of Haven Rd. I got up to the top in 39/23 quite easily. I didn't even think the hill that op mentioned was it so kept riding to the end of the road waiting for a killer hill :oops: . No where near 36%, I'd say closer to just over 20% although as others said my garmin did say it was 33%. It's comparable to the steep pinch on the samsonvale side of Clear Mt which the sign says 20 but I think it reaches 22 or 23 at parts only difference is Haven Rd is longer. Still a killer climb and a really nice road if you go to the end with some decent views, I'd recommend it. These pics were taken with a phone so they're pretty crap and they were taken on the way down (I was considering using them as a reason to stop on the way up :oops: ) Garmin connect page: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/136929964

Image
From the bottom looking up.

Image
The famous gate :|

Image
Looking down from the famous gate.

Image
Looking up from the gate.

Image
Down from the corner towards the famous gate.

Image
Looking up from the same corner to the top.

Image
View from the top of the "36%" climb

Image

Image
View of Mt Cootha

Image
This is further up the road, can't really tell from the photo but this looked and felt much steeper than the 36 hill

Image
Further up again. This bit hurt, probably the hardest bit of the road.

Image
Looking up from the same place. Still managed to do the whole of road in 2nd (39/23)

Image
View from the top of the road.

Was planning on hitting up Mayfield Ct on the way back but was too tired, so planning on doing it tomorrow. I've ridden up about 4 years ago on a mtb so hoping I can do it on a roadie now. From what I can remember mayfield is going to be much harder and steeper than Haven Rd was.

ps ultremos are completely crap in the wet


Great report !!!! Thanks for that. You did really well climbing that in 39/23. I've never actually ridden it. The "36" came from the ridewithgps.com site which is prone to error of course.

I am going to ride past there tomorrow but will give this a miss still as I haven't ridden much in the last 3 months and nothing at all in the last 4 weeks, so need something a little easier to get back into it. Upper Brookfield, Savages and Gold Creek Roads will be a 50km loop for me with >900m climbing. Easy enough but still hard enough to ride off a few Christmas beers.
Rhubarb
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby notwal » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:12 pm

I was looking at Haven Rd on Google Earth and it seems to continue all the way to Moggill Rd at Pinjarra Hills.
Is the road impassable.

Gotta say now I'm really curious to find out if I can get up it with a 39/25. I doubt it but just to know is good data :D
I'll try it in the new year. No more hills for me until then.

I went over Mt Glorious today and down the west side along the Parkway to Wivenhoe/Somerset Rd to Brisbane Valley Highway to Warrego Highway to Mt Crosby Rd to Moggill Rd and then back to The Gap. I'm stuffed. I got a bit dehydrated and I'm still pouring stuff into me till I can generate a piss. :lol:
Last edited by notwal on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
judged, insulted, gone
User avatar
notwal
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby Purt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 pm

notwal wrote:I was looking at Haven Rd on Google Earth and it seems to continue all the way to Moggill Rd at Pinjarra Hills.
Is the road impassable.


The left hand grandview one is a private rd, went down it alittle bit then turned around. The right side on the second bend on google maps there is a grey line coming off the road, is that where it is on earth? That was an overgrown firetrail, no dirt just grass where you could see a car might have driven a few times. So you probably could get through not sure how overgrown it would be though...
User avatar
Purt
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby notwal » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Purt wrote:
notwal wrote:I was looking at Haven Rd on Google Earth and it seems to continue all the way to Moggill Rd at Pinjarra Hills.
Is the road impassable.


The left hand grandview one is a private rd, went down it alittle bit then turned around. The right side on the second bend on google maps there is a grey line coming off the road, is that where it is on earth? That was an overgrown firetrail, no dirt just grass where you could see a car might have driven a few times. So you probably could get through not sure how overgrown it would be though...

No it was Grandview Rd that I was looking at. It doesn't look like a private Rd. It's very long and services lots of properties.
The road that branches to the right doesn't go very far. It services maybe 3 houses.
judged, insulted, gone
User avatar
notwal
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby Purt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:57 pm

notwal wrote:
Purt wrote:
notwal wrote:I was looking at Haven Rd on Google Earth and it seems to continue all the way to Moggill Rd at Pinjarra Hills.
Is the road impassable.


The left hand grandview one is a private rd, went down it alittle bit then turned around. The right side on the second bend on google maps there is a grey line coming off the road, is that where it is on earth? That was an overgrown firetrail, no dirt just grass where you could see a car might have driven a few times. So you probably could get through not sure how overgrown it would be though...

No it was Grandview Rd that I was looking at. It doesn't look like a private Rd. It's very long and services lots of properties.
The road that branches to the right doesn't go very far. It services maybe 3 houses.


Yeah the one that services 3 houses is a private rd, looks like a driveway.

The other one you're looking at (the track which comes off the right one at the 2nd corner) I'd say is a track for energex to check the powerlines. It really isn't used enough to service lots of properties. Then other side of grandview comes up from pinjarra but doesn't actually connect.
User avatar
Purt
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby baralah » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:46 am

Purt wrote:Ok guys just got back from a recon of Haven Rd. I got up to the top in 39/23 quite easily. I didn't even think the hill that op mentioned was it so kept riding to the end of the road waiting for a killer hill . No where near 36%, I'd say closer to just over 20% although as others said my garmin did say it was 33%. It's comparable to the steep pinch on the samsonvale side of Clear Mt which the sign says 20 but I think it reaches 22 or 23 at parts only difference is Haven Rd is longer. Still a killer climb and a really nice road if you go to the end with some decent views, I'd recommend it. These pics were taken with a phone so they're pretty crap and they were taken on the way down (I was considering using them as a reason to stop on the way up ) Garmin connect page: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/136929964


That looks like a pretty darn long hill, will definately put Bronte Rd to shame. I think I would puke even with my compact chainring :lol: :lol:
The legs say NO!!!!! And brain can't do much......
baralah
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ianK, lobstermash, mikgit



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist