Which MTB/bicycle path/commuting tyre?

gregmacc

Which MTB/bicycle path/commuting tyre?

Postby gregmacc » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi all ... Looking for a new set of tyres for my daughter's MTB. She mainly rides sealed cycle paths and well graded dirt roads but would like to do some occasional forest single track work. Any recommendations for an appropriate compromise tyre?
Thanks

mitzikatzi

Re: Which MTB/bicycle path/commuting tyre?

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:43 pm

for the " sealed cycle paths and well graded dirt roads " Schwalbe Super Moto Evo Speed Grip Folding Tyre or the Schwalbe Big Apple Tyre

and for the "occasional forest single track work." Maxxis Crossmark Wire Tyre are a good place to start for off road tyres.

Your asking for one tyre for two very different enviroments. The Crossmark will roll on the road well but it will wear quickly.

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks Mitzikatzi ...
mitzikatzi wrote: ...

Your asking for one tyre for two very different enviroments ...
Absolutely, so they will be a "compromise", and certainly won't excel in any of the listed environments. But she's a busy girl, doesn't live and breath cycling and definitely can't be bothered with having dedicated wheels/tyres for the various types of riding she does. I guess if her bias is in any direction it's toward the sealed cycle paths and dirt roads.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Back in the day before I had a dedicated commuter, my MTB used to wear Continental Town and Countrys when the Velociraptors weren't fitted. Excellent road tyre with plenty of grip on reasonable singletrack. Beware wet grass!

If it doesn't do the trick for her then I've heard good things about Contis Double Fighter tyres.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

alf

Postby alf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Mulger bill wrote:<snip>
If it doesn't do the trick for her then I've heard good things about Contis Double Fighter tyres.
I had Continental Double Fighters on a 29er, best thing about them was that I learnt how to fix a flat very quickly. Not a tire I would recommend.