Newbie in Springfield lakes

espy

Newbie in Springfield lakes

Postby espy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Gday All,

I have only discovered this website and have been surfing through all the forums and it has pretty good information. Im new to road cycling (since Late September) and only been riding out past augustine heights on my own. Im getting use to the traffic but still get the occasional cars who drive pass me and toot their horn or yell out of their window.
I got swooped the first time by plubbers, the second time around I saw the plubber and dropped down low and he flew right over me.

Im hoping to conquer the centenary highway after the holidays. Maybe out to the first round about first and tackle it a day at a time till I can ride up to the Yamanto lights, then down to the RAAF Base. Im not a faster rider about 25-27 Ks max on the flat, still working on my up hill runs.

If anyone in the springfield area is keen, id be keen to have a riding partner on a weekend.

Cheers,
Espy

koen

Re: Newbie in Springfield lakes

Postby koen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 am

Swooped by plubbers! I have never had plovers swoop me on the bike but they are usually not as likely to connect as magpies.
My usual pattern with magpies is not to panic (very important) and just wave my hand over my head like an idiot. It's the only time motorists laugh and give you space on the bike because they like the entertainment. It works well but the really nasty magpies are sometimes those that connect first swoop without warning!

Is there a bike path from Springfield to Ipswich Road that connects with the bikeway to Brisbane along centenary hway? If you were to ride towards Brisbane early on a Saturday I am sure you would find some pals to ride with.
All the best

espy

Postby espy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:28 pm

There must be a nest that the plover is protecting as I am riding past. I have been told that would be the only reason why they swoop.

I dont havent seen a bike track on the centenary hwy heading towards Ipswich Hwy. There is lane but thats it and it doesnt connect to any bikeways. Abit disappointing.

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:07 pm

I quite often ride the centenary highway and am a new rider too.

I started off riding to the first roundabout, then the second roundabout (rilpey road), then to the top of the hill after this roundabout, then almost all the way to yamanto.

There is a split in the road as you get to yamanto and at the start of it there is a little cement section where the split starts. THis is where I now turn around and it works out to exactly 40km out and back from home.

What time do you ride? I am usually an early starter as I try to avoid the wind but I ride at about the same speed as you do so if you want to meet for a ride I generally go on Sunday and Monday mornings at about 5am-5.30am as well as Wednesday mornings at around 8am. I am happy to start a later thought if it is easier for you.

Send me a PM if you are interested

kernowman

Postby kernowman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:56 pm

G'day guys I'm at Springfield lakes also, tend to go out on a sunday morning earlyish, if i can get out of bed! Sounds like you guys are about the same ability as me. There is a group called Springfield riders in the area, I've been out with them once so far, a pretty friendly bunch of guys and girls, with a mixed bag of riders, (some very quick!) Drop me a PM, if you are interested in meeting up at the weekend, I'm looking at working off those excess Xmas kilo's this new year!

espy

Postby espy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Hey guys I'm keen to go for a ride definetly. But I won't be back from holidays till the 8th of jan. but still keen to go for a ride on the Monday the 9th of jan. how about we meet up at 530 outside Springfield central. Let me know. I look fwd to meeting u both.

Cheers
Espy