Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

three214

Re: Steep hills near your place - Can you top Haven Rd?

Postby three214 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Purt wrote:Ok guys just got back from a recon of Haven Rd. I got up to the top in 39/23 quite easily. I didn't even think the hill that op mentioned was it so kept riding to the end of the road waiting for a killer hill :oops: . No where near 36%, I'd say closer to just over 20% although as others said my garmin did say it was 33%. It's comparable to the steep pinch on the samsonvale side of Clear Mt which the sign says 20 but I think it reaches 22 or 23 at parts only difference is Haven Rd is longer. Still a killer climb and a really nice road if you go to the end with some decent views, I'd recommend it. These pics were taken with a phone so they're pretty crap and they were taken on the way down (I was considering using them as a reason to stop on the way up :oops: ) Garmin connect page: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/136929964

Was planning on hitting up Mayfield Ct on the way back but was too tired, so planning on doing it tomorrow. I've ridden up about 4 years ago on a mtb so hoping I can do it on a roadie now. From what I can remember mayfield is going to be much harder and steeper than Haven Rd was.

ps ultremos are completely crap in the wet
Just had a look at the connect data... max speed 99.4 :shock:
I know I start tightening parts of my anatomy at the high 60's, early 70's... :oops: can't even imagine those speeds.

Purt

Postby Purt » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:42 pm

three214 wrote:Just had a look at the connect data... max speed 99.4 :shock:
I know I start tightening parts of my anatomy at the high 60's, early 70's... :oops: can't even imagine those speeds.
Must be a dud from the garmin. Max on that ride would be more like 70.

Purt

Postby Purt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Purt wrote:Was planning on hitting up Mayfield Ct on the way back but was too tired, so planning on doing it tomorrow. I've ridden up about 4 years ago on a mtb so hoping I can do it on a roadie now. From what I can remember mayfield is going to be much harder and steeper than Haven Rd was.

ps ultremos are completely crap in the wet
Finally got off my ass and hit up Mayfield Ct at Samford.

Same problem 1st didn't want to work so I was stuck in 2nd (39/23). Got to just below the bend and the chain skipped, almost fell over. Stood there for a few minutes swearing my head off then decided to get back on and ride to the top. If I actually maintain my bike I probably would have got up there in 2nd, although the hill is alot harder than I remember it being 4 or 5 years ago.

alex

Postby alex » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:17 pm

wqlava1 wrote: One other noteworthy hill that I enjoy and do regularly when we stay at Apollo Bay is the 600 or 650-odd metres in 9.5km without any flat or downhill going up towards Forrest from Skenes Creek, and one that I dislike for some reason in the same area is the one coming from Lavers Hill towards Apollo Bay, going up quite steeply for 2-3km just before the Cape Otway turnoff.
this is a great ride particularly the bit throught the rainforest up the top

the hill coming back into cape otway is a complete bastard when you have over a ton in the legs... very tough mentally for a couple of km last time i rode there (in the rain and cold and wind!)

think its time to head over to apollo bay again
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Don't know the gradient but Bucklands Gap between Beechworth and Myrtleford in Victoria is a steep son of a grind, climbs 700 mtres in 3km. (you can work it out) There's a back sealed road from Euroa-Merton rd to the top of the Strathbogie Ranges which is a similar deal.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

baralah

Postby baralah » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:33 pm

I did Bundeena National Park, there's a slight 7% gradient that lasts for over 3Km's. It's much much more painful than Rainbow and Arden St combined. :evil: :evil:
The legs say NO!!!!! And brain can't do much......

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:42 pm

baralah wrote:I did Bundeena National Park, there's a slight 7% gradient that lasts for over 3Km's. It's much much more painful than Rainbow and Arden St combined. :evil: :evil:

Which part of the national park is that?

My street averages 14% but hits 20%. It's only 400m long though.
2010 BMC SLC01

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:35 pm

rokwiz wrote:There's a back sealed road from Euroa-Merton rd to the top of the Strathbogie Ranges which is a similar deal.
That'd be Galls Gap Rd up to Polly McQuins. About 12-15% gradient if I recall from my inclinometer.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:37 am

Obi Obi Road from Kenilworth to Mapleton. Strava segment page reckons it tops 42.6% :lol: . It is certainly crazy steep, i was really struggling to turn over a 28-30 up there yesterday, doing about 5kmh.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 pm

My home suburb has some pretty good hills. Here's a YouTube clip I made of Glenvale Rd, in Donvale, Victoria, about half a km from where I live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ioa7HvgUvo. The average grade over 350m is about 17.5% and the highest grade about 30%. This area has several other short but steep hills, too, with short 20% grade sections fairly common.

I'm not claiming it's steeper than anywhere else, by the way, just saying that Ringwood North, Donvale and Park Orchards are a great place to be cycling if you like riding up hills :) .

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Did a climb (mtb) on the inaugural Kowalski Classic out at Kowen Forest (kinda my neighbourhood) that reached up to high 30's in places. Madness.