Hand Signals

commi

Hand Signals

Postby commi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:55 pm

I've just started riding regularly to work and also did the beach road ride down to Mordialloc...

Are there any generally regonised hand signals to use, other than the obvious left and right indications, and hand up/down to for stopping.

I've seen a strange one a couple of times where the rider points his index and middle fingers twice at something on the left (maybe parked car or car coming out of side street?) in a gun shooting kind of motion.

Also I plan to do the beach rd ride on weekends when I can, as much as I can. Is there any etiquette in terms of following a pack. Last week I rode up to a small pack and followed them because they were going at a nice cruisy pace. I only went by myself because one of them blew a tyre. On the way back I rode by myself too. Then I realised that pack was going slowly up because on they passed me on the way back at full pace!!

Of course that's the other thing I noticed. There really aren't that many people riding flat bar road bikes on the beach rd ride. And most of them look/are so hardcore I'm almost embarrassed.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:43 pm

I'm going to get myself in trouble one day with hand signals :?

I'll signal changes of direction if needed - if my hands are needed on the bars to control the bike, to sprint for a gap or to stop, I ain't gonna go flapping them around, nor do I see the sense in signalling to some bloke a couple of miles away. I don't signal for stopping and can't see the point.

However, I will give other signals where appropriate. For example, in left hand turning lanes where I'm going straight on and a car is coming up behind me, I have been known to point straight ahead to tell the driver I'll be riding down the white line between the turning lane and the straight ahead lane (whether this is needed or sensible depends on the situation of course). Similarly when a car is waiting to pull out in front of me, I've been known to point ahead.

Basically, I'll give any indication I think necessary to tell other road uses of all ilk what I'll be doing ... then assume they'll ignore it (safety rule number one). This has you doing some bizarre things at times, but it's a form of courtesy and that can't hurt.

Richard

europa

Re: Hand Signals

Postby europa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:50 pm

commi wrote:Of course that's the other thing I noticed. There really aren't that many people riding flat bar road bikes on the beach rd ride. And most of them look/are so hardcore I'm almost embarrassed.
Never be embarrassed about your ride. Real riders know that your bike has its specialties and was chosen for them.

Richard

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:32 pm

commi wrote:Of course that's the other thing I noticed. There really aren't that many people riding flat bar road bikes on the beach rd ride. And most of them look/are so hardcore I'm almost embarrassed.
Hey, I've ridden a flat bar road bike on Beach Rd and passed people on drop bar bikes. I've even had "hardcore" looking types drafting me! :shock:

A lot of the time the harcore look is just that, a look - it doesn't mean the person really is that hard a rider.

If you haven't already found it, can I suggest you check the "Plan a Ride" section on the Bicycle Victoria forums - there's a ride there called the BBC ride (Belgian Beer Cafe) which is organised by forum members - I think the next one is on the 20th - and caters for all levels of skill and experience. The guys and gals over there are all very friendly and helpful.

commi

Postby commi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:37 pm

matagi wrote:If you haven't already found it, can I suggest you check the "Plan a Ride" section on the Bicycle Victoria forums - there's a ride there called the BBC ride (Belgian Beer Cafe) which is organised by forum members - I think the next one is on the 20th - and caters for all levels of skill and experience. The guys and gals over there are all very friendly and helpful.
thanks, i will

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:05 pm

I made the mistake of giving a late hand signal and bit the bitumen.
I give signals when I can and dart through when I see a gap.

Robert

Bernard

Postby Bernard » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:15 pm

commi wrote:
I've seen a strange one a couple of times where the rider points his index and middle fingers twice at something on the left (maybe parked car or car coming out of side street?) in a gun shooting kind of motion.
You've nailed that one, its the rider pointing to an obstacle / danger, usually when you ride in a pack / big group the riders behind will not see the obstacle until its too late so the rider in front points to it and your job is to figure out what he's pointing at and avoid it.
Merida CX 4

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:49 pm

commi wrote: I've seen a strange one a couple of times where the rider points his index and middle fingers twice at something on the left (maybe parked car or car coming out of side street?) in a gun shooting kind of motion.
As someone pointed out they're just pointing out a danger to the following riders. In a group you have to trust the rider in front of you.

There are other signals to the group : stopping, single file, scatter EG stones, broken glass and "come lets stay as a group and all go through these changing lights."

Handy to know then if you every want to jump on the back of a group.

europa

Postby europa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Then there's 'excuse me mister driver sir but I didn't feel completely comfortable with your attempt to aquaint me with the cute nurse in casualty'. It's easy to do. You can practice it in front of a mirror. Just raise your middle finger with the clenched fist towards you :D

Richard

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:48 pm

europa wrote:Then there's 'excuse me mister driver sir but I didn't feel completely comfortable with your attempt to aquaint me with the cute nurse in casualty'. It's easy to do. You can practice it in front of a mirror. Just raise your middle finger with the clenched fist towards you :D

Richard
Forgot that one.

There's also the little acknowledging wave to to drivers who do the right things by us cyclists.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:47 pm

Gotta lot to learn if I ever get a roadie and try riding with a bunch.

I'm pretty big on Richard and Tuco's signals, otherwise it depends on circumstance.