5 biggest safety issues facing BNA members

Big_Red

Re: 5 biggest safety issues facing BNA members

Postby Big_Red » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:45 am

1. Glass/debris in bike lanes,
2. Ninja salmon organ donors (kids on bikes after dark, with no lights or helmets that ride on the wrong side of the street)
3. Cars parking in bike lanes prior to them ceasing to be a no parking zone (7 or 6pm) creating a door zone nightmare,
4. Peds & cyclists :shock: with surgically implanted iPods with no concept of what is happening around them,
5. Dopey knuckle dragger tradesmen in utes who seem to go out of their way to end your existance as they believe that you have no right to share the road & never seem to be able indicate turns.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:15 am

only one big one in my eyes, cars involved in accidents with cyclists that could have been prevented.

1' penalty to drivers that gone wrong are to weak, they lack showing to others it is wrong.
2' poor attitude from police when it comes to small incidents, it gives all the wrong signals.
3' No back up from goverment to make actions to protect cyclists, by law. (and the H is not really a protection)
4' The above results in media making cyclists look like they are to blame, while they are victums...
5' Biggest problem is attitude of drivers towards cyclist and lack of any solution for this problem...
all the other things are minor compared to this...

p.s., sorry for the poor sentence structure, it is way past my bedtime, lol...
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

squeakywheel

Postby squeakywheel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:14 am

Big_Red wrote: 2. Ninja salmon organ donors (kids on bikes after dark, with no lights or helmets that ride on the wrong side of the street)
"Salmon" LOL

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Kingaroy_Redant wrote:1. Inexperience of newbie cyclists
So people should only start riding if they are expirienced??? :shock:

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:26 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:As per the previous quoted post, blitzes don't modify behaviour. They curb behaviour in the short termnfor a select few. Crime rates in Qld are down, Police numbers and resources are up. Take the uniform x 3 including their squad cars off 10pm-6am roadwork duty on the Ipswich M.way on a Monday night and use them more effectively.
Our laws do not work part time but their enforcement does? Thats not the policing we pay for.

My undrestanding of how this works is it is extra o/t shifts offered to cops piad for by who ever is doing the work, same as wide load piolt cars. If somebody knows different pleaes feel free to corect, as i said this is only my undrestanding of it all.

squeakywheel

Postby squeakywheel » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:55 pm

I forgot one.

#6 - ego

This morning on my ride for example.
I was riding down to an intersection. LIghts changed from red to green. There was a cyclist stopped and hadnt even got back in the saddle to take off, I had momentum behind me so I passed him across the intersection and went up onto the cyclepath which adjoins the road.
I saw in my mirror he was on the cycleway behind me a fair way back. The next thing is he's on the the road beside the cycleway pedalling furiously. He goes past me and then rides up onto the cycleway in front of me.... and then slows down (?! I'm always amazed why people do this).
After while I get fed up and pass him again on long straight bit. Then again I am amazed to see that he has jumped onto the road and is again pedalling furiously in order to pass me. I then slow down to stop at a red light and he runs the red - presumably so I dont "beat" him again. He'd obviously rather risk his life than have someone riding in front of him...weird...

Kingaroy_Redant

Postby Kingaroy_Redant » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:32 pm

PB12IN wrote:
That is not what I meant at all. My point is that cyclist's inexperience is a major safety issue. As a newbie myself I can testify to this. I shudder when I think of some of the things I did in my first few rides on busy roads.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:56 pm

@nikkie he drives like that as well most probably. My attitude to drivers and riders of that ilk is that I'd rather they were in front of me than behind me so I can avoid any accidents they may cause. Slow down, go behind them and they will feel you are following them instead lol. Esp useful for cars, I can memorise their plate no.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Kingaroy_Redant wrote:
PB12IN wrote:
That is not what I meant at all. My point is that cyclist's inexperience is a major safety issue. As a newbie myself I can testify to this. I shudder when I think of some of the things I did in my first few rides on busy roads.
Yeh I figured that was what you ment, but it was my attempt at stupid humor. :oops:

Kingaroy_Redant

Postby Kingaroy_Redant » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:29 pm

Haha no I get it. :lol: I think :| No problem. :wink: I like Nikkei (sp) #6 Ego. I guess experience, ego, aggression, tentativeness etc can all be grouped together under rider attidudes/attributes/defeciencies.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 pm

PB12IN wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:As per the previous quoted post, blitzes don't modify behaviour. They curb behaviour in the short termnfor a select few. Crime rates in Qld are down, Police numbers and resources are up. Take the uniform x 3 including their squad cars off 10pm-6am roadwork duty on the Ipswich M.way on a Monday night and use them more effectively.
Our laws do not work part time but their enforcement does? Thats not the policing we pay for.

My undrestanding of how this works is it is extra o/t shifts offered to cops piad for by who ever is doing the work, same as wide load piolt cars. If somebody knows different pleaes feel free to corect, as i said this is only my undrestanding of it all.
Where do I start?

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:54 pm

1: incompetent car drivers - really there should be a lot less people with licences given the skill levels often seen.
2: Swanston . . . is it street, walk, taxi rank or loading zone? I can't work it out, it seems to be all of the above. Should be restricted to bikes and trams only, and when I say only I mean only. That means: no taxis, no delivery vans or trucks, no buses no cars, no emergency vehicles, no exceptions.
3: bike lanes which are too close and narrow so you can't ride in them without risk of being doored. Just silly.
4: silly cyclists who ignore the laws and give us all a bad name.
5: mandatory helmet laws which mean thousands are put off cycling and think it is far more dangerous than it is. Again, just silly.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)