Bike Tuning....

fero

Bike Tuning....

Postby fero » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi from Edwardstown :) .... Can anyone recommend a good place to get my mountain bike serviced? What's the cost?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:57 am

Revolution CycleCentre on South Road - just south of the Emmerson Crossing (Cross Road).

If you read my article on my Trek520, they are the people who sold me that bike and, despite all the drama, looked after me well. They have since serviced the bike and I'm happy again. They've also fitted my son's bike to him plus made quite a few sales on other bits and bobs. Don't be put off by the (sometimes) race oriented appearance of the shop (it's been softened recently) - they do all sorts of bikes and seem to have staff who enjoy every side of the sport.

Besides, they are local :D

Richard
tell them the ratbag who bought the Trek520 recommended them

fero

Revolution...

Postby fero » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi Europa, Yes I know that place... it's just across from our street. That's also where my daughter's Trek was from. But i haven't been in the store. My hubby got it for her. I think the owner's child was from the same school as my daughter. I heard from other mother's that he gives discounts from families with kids from St. Anthony's.

Had my bike aligned and brake checked at Marion(Trak). Mmmm, bikes fine... but it's not really humming as it used to be. For me, the front brakes still seem not right. Mind you, according from the guy in marion.... my bike is vintage and the parts are collector's stuff. :lol:

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:23 pm

If your bike is vintage and the parts collector's stuff, it should work fine :D

I notice that Steve Nash, one of the salestaff/mechanics, is wrenching for one of the teams in the Tour Down Under this week - he's the best one to get if you can.

The boss can seem a bit gruff but I'm beginning to think he's hiding a nice bloke inside there and he knows his pushies.

I haven't had much to do with the others. Nice mob of blokes, but I'd give the shop a miss until after the Tour Down Under (this week basically) - at best they are going to be short staffed.

Richard

adelaidecyclist

Postby adelaidecyclist » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:37 pm

Fero - I don't know how handy you are, but if you like to tinker, buy some tools.

After paying $80 for a bike store to "service my bike" (and it come out worse than it went in), then paying another store $40 to "bleed both brakes" and only bleed one I bought myself some tools. Sine then I've tuned my mountain bike, my girlfriend's mountain bike, mum's roadie, and built two singlespeeds. If I can't fix it, I try again. Bike stores don't do that unfortunately. It needs to be profitable for them.. if it takes too long, they forget about it. :roll:

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:48 pm

I was tempted to say something similar, and bike mechanics are pretty darned simple (with amazing possibilities for screwing things up :? ).

I'm happy to have a play with it fero

Richard

fero

hi

Postby fero » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks you all for the advice. Hope I can meet up with you lot one of these days or after the school holidays.... :D

europa

Postby europa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:59 pm

School holidays AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids :D

Richard