Selle San Marco Rolls Restoration

christianeh

Selle San Marco Rolls Restoration

Postby christianeh » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:40 pm

I love the classic look of the Selle San Marco Rolls saddle. I bought a second-hand one for $15 off Gumtree for my Repco Olympic 12 build and decided to restore the saddle to it's former glory. Here's a photo heavy documentation of the restoration process for those who are interested.

This is the condition it was in when I bought it. I kind of liked the worn-in look, however, I want my saddle, grip-tape and toe straps in matching leather so I made up my mind to reupholster it.

First step was to take off the side and back plates. A little bit drilling and prying with the pliers got the rivets off.

Pulled the original leather off trying not to screw up the foam. It came off fairly well and the foam underneath was in good condition.

Went to the LLS (local leather shop :P) to get some leather and rivets. Settled on a light brown pig skin - it's very supple and I think my ass will like it. I cut out a section the size of the saddle, allowing for some excess.

Applied some adhesive to both the saddle and the leather, let it dry for about a minute then starting from the top, glued the leather on, working my around the sides and nose. The nose was tricky because there was so much excess leather there it took a bit of work to not get it all bunched up.

Then it was just a matter of trimming the excess leather and gluing it down around the inside. Got the metal polish out and polished up the metal plates. Unfortunately it lost its gold colouring (which I knew would happen) but it polished up fairly well. There was some pitting on the back plate, but as I always say, it adds to its character and its story :D Repainted the red San Marco Rolls lettering with some hobby paint. Below is the final product.

I am very pleased with the outcome and am really keen to try to do a few more saddles but with some patterns or perforations etc.

Lark2004

Re: Selle San Marco Rolls Restoration

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:41 pm

nicely done
Andrew

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:24 pm

Awesome
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:40 pm

WOW, you are kidding me. :shock: did you really make that. You have talent :D
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Thats pretty cool. good work

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:16 pm

:shock: Better. Than. New! 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Stepr

Postby Stepr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:51 pm

looks nicely done. I have a couple of old crusty leather seat frames I have wanted to recover when I get time.

How have you secured the leather up under the seat - have you just glued it?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:14 pm

That's an excellent job! Do you know if it's possible when recovering a saddle like this, to add more foam? I have a San Marco Daytona which is a good shape but very light on padding (i wouldn't touch that one though as it's in near new condition, but interested for some of the cheapy Viscount ones i have lying around).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:53 pm

Top work. I've basically failed at trying to recover a couple of saddles, but I think its through inappropriate selection of leather/covering material. How thin was that stuff?

Jim

christianeh

Postby christianeh » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for the comments!
Stepr wrote:How have you secured the leather up under the seat - have you just glued it?
Yeah, I just glued it around the edge. I had about 1.5cm excess around the inside.
ldrcycles wrote:That's an excellent job! Do you know if it's possible when recovering a saddle like this, to add more foam? I have a San Marco Daytona which is a good shape but very light on padding (i wouldn't touch that one though as it's in near new condition, but interested for some of the cheapy Viscount ones i have lying around).
This is the first time I have recovered a saddle but from what I have read in my research is that sometimes the foam is shot to hell and needs replacing. So I guess that you should be able to add more foam.
familyguy wrote:Top work. I've basically failed at trying to recover a couple of saddles, but I think its through inappropriate selection of leather/covering material. How thin was that stuff?
I think it was slightly thinner than 1mm. Hopefully it's tough enough to withstand some constant wear.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 am

That is very cool. I only ride Rolls.
I have several that need replacement or your fab treatment.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:53 am

Job well done there Christianeh! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:10 pm

great work, and one off colour rolls is always awesome!

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Best thread read in a while - excellent how to........ :D
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:05 am

Well done on the recovering. Looks very nice.
Technical question. How did you cut the background out of the after pictures?

cycles gitane (tech. novice)
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

christianeh

Postby christianeh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:06 pm

cycles gitane wrote:Well done on the recovering. Looks very nice.
Technical question. How did you cut the background out of the after pictures?

cycles gitane (tech. novice)
I take the photos with a white background (usually a white bed sheet or something similar) and then I just use photoshop to edit it out. I use the magic select tool to select the areas I want then colour them white. Easy stuff :D

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Interesting thread. I have a Rolls saddle on my 1994 Cecil Walker roadie that is still going strong. Not sure if it needs the full overhaul just yet, although I did apply some leather conditioner to it the other day.

How long did you 'last' the leather over the foam for (i.e. hold the stretched leather in position?). I know that shoes are 'lasted' for usually a few weeks to ensure they maintain their shape.

christianeh

Postby christianeh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 am

__PG__ wrote:How long did you 'last' the leather over the foam for (i.e. hold the stretched leather in position?). I know that shoes are 'lasted' for usually a few weeks to ensure they maintain their shape.
The adhesive was rather strong so I didn't need to last it more than a minute or so until it stayed in place.

LG

Postby LG » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:16 am

Just wanted to follow up how your saddle is going. I have a rolls here in need of recovering and was wondering whether there were any extra hints. Has the non-lasting of the leather mentioned in a previous post had any effect?

It looks like a great job to by the way.
LG = Low Gear

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 am

LG wrote: Has the non-lasting of the leather mentioned in a previous post had any effect?
if it is chrome tanned leather (ie soft and pliable) I would have thought lasting would have no enduring effect. If the leather was vegetable tanned (stiff as a board) then soaked in water and lasted, it will have shape retained.
I have only played with Brooks type saddles requiring vegetable tanned leather to retain the shape.
more examples of recovering a non Brooks saddle

LG

Postby LG » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks mate, great link. I'll try to make time and give it a go in the next few weeks.
LG = Low Gear