Single speed rigid?

drubie

Single speed rigid?

Postby drubie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:34 pm

Stupid question time.

Tip shop guy was having his annual clearout and amongst the massive pile of Huffy (I figure that's the plural) I spot an Apollo Expression. Medium size (so a touch small for me but whatever) with the mega bonus of a disk mount. It has the odd ding which I've already metal puttied to good effect. Thinking about matt black...

Anyway, I figure I can buy some rigid forks and make a single speed out of it with my soon-to-be-surplus stars circles wheels and FSA crank (mmm, new year upgrades for the Norco) - plan to make a kind of urban assault vehicle / grownups BMX. Stupid? Or cunning as a rat? Anybody done something similar? Tyre suggestions?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

trailgumby

Re: Single speed rigid?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:43 pm

Will it fit 2.4" tyres? I'm thinking a MTB/Trials hybrid with a slammed saddle and 8" disc rotors. ;) You know you want to. :mrgreen:

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:08 pm

trailgumby wrote:Will it fit 2.4" tyres? I'm thinking a MTB/Trials hybrid with a slammed saddle and 8" disc rotors. ;) You know you want to. :mrgreen:
OH YEAH!

There looks to be a fair bit of clearance...would depend on the fork I guess. I wonder if those ebay "Mosso" forks would squeeze a 2.4

edit: Trials bike suggestion winnah! Thanks trailgumby, that term brought up a tonne of stuff to drool over e.g.:

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:29 am

Ohhh, liking the look of the CF fork for me commuter... Will have to check the axle-crown to be sure a 700c with 28mm tyre will fit...

Waaay short of a trials skillset but urban assault is always high end fun :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:22 am

Some neat part at tartybikes MB - certainly plenty to drool over.

I gotta ask trailgumby, why no front brakes on lots of these bikes and whats with the slammed saddle look? Must make it tough to ride any distance

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:50 am

Surly 1 X 1 does up to 2.7" tyres.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Time to head on down to the skate/bike park for a look.

No front brake lets you "spin" the front wheel while your in the "air" doing tricks/jumps etc. The rear brake lets you do awsome skids :lol:

With the "slammed" seat I am not you are meant to ride any distance just enough to be able to ride to the bike park or local shops.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:28 pm

The seat is low because it's for controlling the bike in flight, not for sitting on ;) but the bikes that don't have brakes on the front are Dirt Jump bikes rather than trials bikes. Front brakes are quite important on trials bikes

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Low saddles height also prevents you from going OTB on a steep decent. IMO the most practical way to do this is with a dropper seatpost, but they don't appear to do rear offset posts and they are too expensive (for me).