Riding to Greenwith?

Lioness

Riding to Greenwith?

Postby Lioness » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:51 am

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to riding on the roads...nice to meet you all :D

I'm thinking of doing a ride up to my BF's place in Greenwith, but I'm not too great with hills. Would it be easier/safer (if it comes down to it, I'd rather safer) to go up McIntyre Rd or go past TTP and up Golden Grove Rd?

From what I can see in my car, McIntyre is a longer hill, but Golden Grove Rd seems to be steeper in shorter bursts. McIntyre/The Golden Way seems to have a more consistent bike like, but the number of people I've seen driving in it...

As an aside, does Linear Park go to TTP? I tried to find it the other day from Paradise and ended up in Highbury at the bottom of a very steep hill :(

Thanks

peter42

Re: Riding to Greenwith?

Postby peter42 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi Lioness

McIntyre Road has a bike lane all the say, whereas Golden Grove Road does not.

However, Golden Grove Road has a bike lane up to Grenfell Rd. Grenfell Road can then be taken up to The Golden Way. It's a flatter route than McIntyre Road.

The Linear Park bike track does go to TTP, but there is a section of road after Paradise with a steep hill section, for about 1km. Whilst the track after Paradise is a bit rough, it's still better than North East Road.

Good Luck.

Lioness

Postby Lioness » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 am

peter42 wrote:Hi Lioness

McIntyre Road has a bike lane all the say, whereas Golden Grove Road does not.

However, Golden Grove Road has a bike lane up to Grenfell Rd. Grenfell Road can then be taken up to The Golden Way. It's a flatter route than McIntyre Road.

The Linear Park bike track does go to TTP, but there is a section of road after Paradise with a steep hill section, for about 1km. Whilst the track after Paradise is a bit rough, it's still better than North East Road.

Good Luck.

I might try the Grenfell/Golden Grove Road combination..maybe when it's not 41C...

I hit the steep hill section right after I started my ride. When I realised I was below Lower NE Road I stopped and tried to find my way back. I'll have to find a good quality map or something.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 am

Google map Willowbrook rd dernancourt. You will need to leave the track and ride along it to the end , then up and right onto parsons, over the bridge and right into Glenwood walk which rejoins the trail alongside the obahn. Onto and over Lyons road for a few of the bigger climbs on the track(past the resevoir) , short and sharp is the best descriptor. Under grand Junction bridge down the hill and take a left into the 2nd underpass at the tennis courts, and up another long climb. Under resevoir rd bridge and along til you come to steps.Pop left on to meadowvale and head nth to the park and rejoin the trail. Left onto the bridge and up the swithch back to the plaza.
Does the BF ride? it's much easier if you have some one to pilot you the first time and then you should be fine.

Lioness

Postby Lioness » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Might leave the TTP ride to a day when I have lots of time...that seems complicated.

The BF doesn't ride...to the extent that he doesn't like cyclists. They scare him, apparently. But eh, I'm sure he'll live.

Drove the Grenfell/Golden Grove Road way today...seems pretty good, steepness-wise.