Narrow Pathways (eg Tasman Bridge)

johnm_oz

Narrow Pathways (eg Tasman Bridge)

Postby johnm_oz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:00 am

I guess this applies to any restricted/ narrow path, but the Tasman Bridge gets me, so...

I'm very new to riding, never rode as a kid and have only just started with a decent roadie after a few years with a Kmart special, so my skill level is very limited. While I realise practice and confidence has a big part to play, are there any special techniques to riding in that sort of restricted area? I feel on edge and unstable the whole time I'm on the bridge.

Cheers
JM

master6

Re: Narrow Pathways (eg Tasman Bridge)

Postby master6 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:21 pm

Look at a spot on the pavement about 15 metres in front of you.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Ride it no hands. You become so focused on keeping your balance that you don't notice how narrow the path is.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:00 am

master6 wrote:Look at a spot on the pavement about 15 metres in front of you.
Yep, this works.

An old MTB trick that always works is to look where you want to go. If you look at what you want to miss, you won't.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:29 pm

mcdurdin wrote:Ride it no hands. You become so focused on keeping your balance that you don't notice how narrow the path is.

Not real safe thing to do! :(

Just ride it slow or walk your bike until your comfortable riding over. When your going down, give way to those riding up. Slow down for walkers, other riders etc

zephy

Postby zephy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:13 pm

gggrrrrrrr Tasman Bridge..... done the tourist thing last year and rode across it.... had to stop and pull the bike almost onto the road to allow two woman and their prams to pass..... then bugger me if on the way back had to do the exact same thing for exactly the same women :roll:

loved going across it though, have to admit that..... was a good way to wear of the fush n chups from Const. Dock.

Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks for the advice, folks. I didn't realise the up/ down protocol existed, I tend to dismount to pass in any case. What do Hobartians think of trying to get the bridge paths designated one way in the same direction as the traffic flow?

Cheers
JM

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:53 am

Thats not such a bad idea, but how to Police it?

I would like a re design of the pathway and get rid of the fire hydrants, the path doesnt need to be any wider but without the hydrants it would open it would make it less dangerous.

Oh and something I learnt, It is illegal to ride on the road on the bridge without a Police permit. Only registered vehicles are allowed

johnm_oz

Re: Narrow Pathways (eg Tasman Bridge) [One Way Path]

Postby johnm_oz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:33 pm

As you say, difficult to police, but even if it's a gentlemens agreement/ advisory signs etc. One way gates at each end would enforce it, but would add cost and no doubt bring out the vandals.

The thing I hate most are those bloody great chunky winches, followed by the V groove between the bridge decking and the edge of the concrete wall. Nasty evil thing that is...

I think they made it illegal to use the road when some silly old codger drove his mobility scooter thing across the bridge.

Cheers
JM

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Fire hydrants have been moved some time ago. It's still too narrow but better than it was.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:11 pm

I understood it has been illegal to ride on the roadway for many years.

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:49 pm

RobRollin wrote:Oh and something I learnt, It is illegal to ride on the road on the bridge without a Police permit. Only registered vehicles are allowed

How would road users know this? Are there any signs?

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:04 pm

There are nop signs - and I have ridden on the bridge as its a lot faster. But I was advised that it is illegal, (remember the wheelchair incident) he cannot be stopped going over.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 pm

master6 wrote:How would road users know this? Are there any signs?
That is something I have often wondered. There are no signs. This is the only online reference I've found:

http://www.police.tas.gov.au/news/posts ... an+Bridge/

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:05 pm

mcdurdin wrote:
master6 wrote:How would road users know this? Are there any signs?
That is something I have often wondered. There are no signs. This is the only online reference I've found:

http://www.police.tas.gov.au/news/posts ... an+Bridge/
The Police Public Relations article suggests to me that use is permissable, as surely they would have made mention if it was an infringement.
Some, like me, might suggest that such use is an infringement against common sense :D
I have used the motor vehicle lanes twice, each time as part of a group of a dozen or so.

In an endeavour to discover the facts, I have emailed the following question to Service Tasmania enquiry service. They offer to get answers from Govt when we dont know where to enquire. I will post their reply.

Question asked:-

"Are bicyclists legally able to ride in the motor vehicle lanes on the Tasman Bridge? If not, what law or regulation prevents such use?"

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Well I rode it again this arvo and felt somewhat better.

-Focus around 15M. This was the most difficult to change, seems my preference is about 5M...
-Choose a line in the centre of the path and concentrate on it.
-Don't allow myself any distractions.
-Try to relax.

Still felt a bit tense but I don't think I was anywhere near as wobbly, I certainly felt more stable. Thanks for the advice fellahs.

Now to work on the one way thing. I might write a letter to transport minister McKinn if anyone else wants to join me. I'll draft something when I'm not quite so full of Taste cheer.

Cheers
JM

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:36 am

The reply from the Police will be interesting to read. The words in their media release - "There is a dedicated bike and pedestrian bypass on either side which is suitable for bikes, skateboards and the like" - were obviously not written by a cyclist. I have been riding the bridge for nearly 20 years and written off two bikes in the process. There is no way the police can officially say the path is "suitable" to the point of banning use of the road for cyclists. The only way to get something done quickly is for some well-meaninged soul to ride the road and get run over. A bit extreme but that is the world we live in these days.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am

The cycle tourists on tandem with a trailer about 800mm wide, carrying dog in cage, (met travelling back from Orford 28/12/11) would have had little choice if they took Tasman Bridge route.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:14 pm

An officer from "Land Transport Safety Policy" at DIER has advised me by email as follows:-

"Thank you for your query of 2 January 2012 asking if bicyclists can legally ride in the motor vehicle lanes on the Tasman Bridge? There is no law or regulation that prevents this although there are paths on either side of the bridge that can be used by both pedestrians and cyclists."

We cyclists will make up our own minds. My view is that I would use it at 4am if motor traffic was almost non existent, and I would use it at any time if I was in a large group that could clearly occupy a lane.

Neither option is satisfactory; Learn to like it as the Tasmanian economy has more important matters to address.........like beds in hospitals :roll:

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Watch "The Mercury" for letters to the editor this week. Today a group of about 20 riders rode into town in a car lane. One was taking bets that abuse would be hurled from at least five cars. He lost. Only three bogans :twisted: entered into the spirit of the thing. :D :D
Choosing to use the vehicle lane was a sensible decision because a group of this size is clearly visible from a distance, can occupy a lane, and avoids mayhem on the footpath with oncoming bicycles, pedestrians, prams, and dogs etc.
Happily, it is in keeping with traffic laws. :D

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:41 am

Master6, the decision to ride across the bridge was excellent. I am sure the mother with the pram was appreciative.