Trailers - general info and opinions

Aushiker

Re: Trailers - general info and opinions

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:30 pm

rifraf wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
I wouldn't be too concern rifraf. By all accounts you have a good trailer there.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
yes, I believe so.
I do think its worth pointing out that claims to the contrary should be backed up with
at least a couple of links if its outside a posters personal experience.
Non specific, vague sweeping statements don't do anyone favors and I was trying
to gently (fail?) put this across without rancor.
Perhaps saying what people said two wheeled trailers had this issue and where it was said
might have given something to answer.
I agree 100%. I also take the view, if that if a poster cannot be bothered doing it when asked then the opinions of same are best discarded and one should simply move on.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:50 pm

bardynt wrote:Hi
i was wandering what people have tried in way of trailers and what problems they have had
Bardynt,
issues with the Carry Freedom Y-Frame did include a troublesome hitch but this has been addressed with
a new design so no longer a potential pitfall.
The remaining customer complaints include connecting pin rattles (which are easily addressed by either some
duck tape/electrical tape or some plastic tube on the two pins to eliminate metal to metal contact) and sometimes the
need for a fibre washer or two to firm up where the tow tube enters the main frame tube of the y-frame.
When the trailer is empty this to can manifest as an annoying metal to metal rattle without the cure of a fibre
washer to remove any slack.
My trailer had some poor finishing where a drilled connecting-pin hole had some swarf which I removed with a file.
Something easily missed by quality control but preventing me from fully entering the y-frames female joint with
the tow tube.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:52 pm

Aushiker wrote: I agree 100%. I also take the view, if that if a poster cannot be bothered doing it when asked then the opinions of same are best discarded and one should simply move on.

Regards
Andrew
I concur
Moving right along... :wink: :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:21 pm

well thanks for looking and the trailers and giving opinions i suppose cause i said some trailers had problems that everyone noses got outta joint :roll:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:57 pm

bardynt wrote:well thanks for looking and the trailers and giving opinions i suppose cause i said some trailers had problems that everyone noses got outta joint :roll:
What is your intended use? Why are you considering the trailers you linked to? Put some effort in and you might get some help back ... just a thought.

Andrew
Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:06 pm

bardynt wrote:well thanks for looking and the trailers and giving opinions i suppose cause i said some trailers had problems that everyone noses got outta joint :roll:
If no one has tried them Bardynt then how are they to respond to something they have no clue about. When buying my trailer I looked at all that was available but it took allot of web surfing to get decent reviews from users of the varies kinds and many of those in your list no one had credible reviews except the Burley Nomad. Most of the trailers you can't even eye ball let alone touch in this country so that makes it even harder.

I personally think from your description you gave a two wheeled flat bed type trailer would suit your needs better because of the options that it would handle or be fitted with. Now to carry a large payload for around town or touring the Y-Frame trailer is built to handle that but in my opinion the flat bed Burley lacks the weight carrying capacity and has small wheels which I find an annoyance because the 16" inch wheel lacks spokes. plus the hitch is known to bust over time or any time it's subjected to high stress (Common problem with trailers that use the same style hitch).

Somewhere in this thread I gave my opinion of the Y-frame which is the trailer I choose to use it can be brought from c r c for about 240 clams delivered and is one tough sucker. Tell us what crap you want to carry and how serious this touring is you want to do because if you want to carry long stuff many folks threads I have read about the Bike at Work trailer have been pleased with it's ability to cater to there domestic needs but for touring I wouldn't touch it.

The Bicycle Trailer Steel trailer on ebay for 219 clams in my opinion is money down the drain when you can get a quality Carry Freedom Y-frame for a little more which both are flat beds just the ebay one has sides. You could custom make the sides bigger or smaller on the y-frame.

The croozer on ebay no one I know uses that model and I have never seen anyone around with it so that might go along way about saying something towards it.

The Roland Jumbo I never batted an eye lid at because just the design I knew it wasn't for me so that is all I can offer there.

Hope this helps a little.

Ricky

PS bardynt the only problem I have read with any two wheel trailer axle has been those with quick release mechanism but that comes down to lack of maintenance on the owners behalf. During wet weather the locking ball can become jambed but that is only if you don't keep them oiled or greased the water will rust them a little and make for removing them harder. Out side of that I have not herd or experienced nothing as you have claimed to weak axles. I even own a cheap kmart trailer and that thing is running sweet but I wouldn't go loading that up with great weights it only does my shopping nor would I tour with it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Perhaps the lack of response is due to your poor communications skills...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:49 am

Well I know a guy who has one like the second one in your list.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bicycle-Trai ... 19c598b875

He has extended the sides up and has it loaded to the gills. Its being pulled by a trike and so far he has ridden from Perth to Albany then north up through Katherine and down the centre to Port Augusta. He is currently in Victoria.

The problem he had was with the plastic wheels and he has replaced them. Clearly the frame has been fine but for his use the wheels were inadequate.

I have one that we use. It is identical except the wheels are steel and it is fine.

As others have asked. What do you intend using the trailer for? Touring? Taking the dog for a run? Shopping? The intended use might make a difference.
I built a trailer from wood with some old kiddie bike wheels and it is still going strong so it may not always be necessary to buy a trailer.
Let us know what you want it for and we can give more considered advice. I'm guessing that you are looking at touring options though from where the thread is located.

Sorry to be so long winded. Heres a picture of Genes trike and trailer out near Fitzroy Crossing. It has the new wheels.
John

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:29 am

thank you for the guys answered the question

i was just trying to ask what a good two wheeled trailer is cause i was thinking of touring as well and didnt like that one wheeled trailer take less weight and will put more stress on the bike and since im not a light bloke it would prob bend the frame with added stress.

i decided to get a trailer cause my wheels were buckling with weight being on my backpack and panniers would cause the same problem. i have double walled rim already and its buckling so that's why wanted a trailer and dont want have to spend 500 on new wheelset with 36 tripple butted wheels

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi bardynt,

I should have made a comment about wheel mounting.
A lot of the trailers have single end mounting. The axle extension plugs into a plastic bush in a tube and is held by a pin. My experience and that of others is that the bush wears and wheels start to wobble. One couple who triked across Aus had to replace the bushes on their very expensive German made trailer part way. They Mcguyvered something from poly pipe.
I think for serious touring I'd look for a trailer where the axle is held both ends. Something like the Burley.

John

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:57 pm

cool yer thks do you have pic of what you mean with regards to the mounts on the bike

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Bardynt this is my touring trailers wheel just to give you an idea of wheel axle types as mine is quick release. There is a weather proof seal (Hub Cap) on the outside of the wheel you push the hub cap the button on the end of the axle releases a ball bearing which allows the ball to retract to the same size as the axle so the axle can be removed from the alloy sleeve.

The image below shows the polyurethane (Red) hitch which for this style of trailer is the strongest and won't fail where as the other ball type hitch have been known to fail under stress or with age.

Hope this gives you some more ideas to make up your mind in the direction you want to go with a trailer purchase.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 am

bardynt wrote:cool yer thks do you have pic of what you mean with regards to the mounts on the bike
Not sure if this was aimed at me.

In my previous post I was talking about how the wheel attaches to the trailer. it looks like the wheel }SkOrPn--7 shows is of that single sided type.

Now the trailer to the bike is another matter and there are a number of ways it is done. }SkOrPn--7 has shown you the ball style hitch on his. Mine is different. It has a spring with some hose up the centre and a plate that clamps to the chain stay. Gene's trailer is of that type. I've had no trouble with it even using the same idea on an electric pusher experiment.
The Burley has a bracket that fits under the rear skewer I think and sort of plastic/nylon or whatever universal joint arrangement. I'll get a photo of my mates one if you like.

John

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:38 pm

hey

yep thanks for that what size wheels are they. i was wondering if would be better with 16,20,24 inch size wheels

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Bardynt mine are 20" wheel only because I wanted to be using the same size as my bike so carrying spares when touring isn't a big issue and tyres are all inter changeable. I don't think I have seen a 24" two wheeled trailer unless someone has custom made one using that size but the likes of the extra wheel discussed in the thread are 26" or 29". Me personally I don't like wheels smaller than 20" on the trailer they have a greater spoke count which in turn handles larger capacity weight wise and 20" I find more common and larger selection but all that is just a personal thing. When touring I use my trailer as a seat when parked on the side of the road making a brew so it has to support me as well. Everything above the flatbed on my trailer is custom built because again no trailer manufacture solves your personal needs and my anal ways don't fit the run of the mill trailers.

Just to clarify when I'm speaking of the "ball type hitch" I'm referring to the system used by Burley which is made from nylon it's the Nylon ball that attaches to the towing arm on the trailer that fails. Earlier models like mine had that system until the manufactures dumped it because of issues and started using the polyurethane (Red) hitch you see today.

If none of these trailers suit your needs you should take a look at Johns handy work he built his own trailer so if your handy take a leaf from his skills and try that as another solution I'm sure John will post the link for you.

Ricky

PS one other thing if you find a trailer with the nylon hitch like the Burley that you like don't fear just remove the bolt and upgrade the nylon ball to something else of your choice if you have concerns of it breaking that isn't a problem or even use Johns method that is a ripper of an idea and will never break.

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:45 pm

ok cool

were do the mount attach on bike is to the quick release wheels or attached to both sides of the frame

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:37 am

The first cheap trailer I mentioned had 16" wheels. Gene upgraded to 20" I think. My other trailers are all 20" .

Some 2 wheel trailers mount to the seat post. I don't think that is the best having tried it. Most of the good trailers have a single sided hitch either to the rear skewer or via a plate clamped to the left hand chain/seat stays at about axle height. This to my mind is much more stable than a seat post type hitch.

Google some images of bike trailers and you will get the idea.

Heres a couple of images of my power trailer attached to my trike to give you an idea. You won't need the motor and battery. :)
The trailer has a plywood floor and the covering is coreflute sign material.

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:28 pm

nice rig there thanks for the pics i see what you mean with with the hitch to the bike

cool so those batteries get charged as well when you're riding and you use them for lights and various other things on the road ?

yer had looks a different products but for some reason they don't think too show close up pics of the trailer attached to the bike

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:57 pm

bardynt wrote:nice rig there thanks for the pics i see what you mean with with the hitch to the bike

cool so those batteries get charged as well when you're riding and you use them for lights and various other things on the road ?
No. That is a motor. the trailer pushes the bike along. Batteries are charged at home. It was an interesting experiment. I have removed batteries and motor now so it is just a plain trailer.
Shows what can be made. I welded it but it could be as easily bolted together.
John

mikepepler

Postby mikepepler » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Regarding the Carry Freedom Y-Frame, I've just bought the large version, and I think it's great. Very easy to put together, and very well built. Yesterday I moved about 50kg of logs 5 miles on it - though I was using my electric bike, so the hills didn't matter too much!

I made a short video of it in use if anyone's interested...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:19 pm

mikepepler wrote:Regarding the Carry Freedom Y-Frame, I've just bought the large version, and I think it's great. Very easy to put together, and very well built. Yesterday I moved about 50kg of logs 5 miles on it - though I was using my electric bike, so the hills didn't matter too much!
Thanks Mike. Nice to see the trailer in action. Your review is good too.

Andrew
Andrew

mikepepler

Postby mikepepler » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks Mike. Nice to see the trailer in action. Your review is good too.

Andrew
Thanks :-) Glad you liked it. I'll probably do an update after using it for a few months...

Mike

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:22 am

I've been reading The Bicycle and the Bush by Jim Fitzpatrick. The way some riders got around in the early 1900s and pre 1900's kind of makes we modern day tourers look somewhat less intrepid, than our touring predecessors.

Not being able to carry a sawn-off rifle or shot gun in a quiver on the fork nowadays, is most disappointing ... riders did it in the olden days to shoot a roo or a croc or to protect them from noble savages.

Then this morning, I read this article on crazyguy by Douglas Coulter. Now I have the sad realization that I'm not just less intrepid nor packing adequate heat but I'm also overly prissy ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 37553&v=2m

I hope this helps towards promoting home ingenuity.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Great review and video Mike glad you did that saves me the trouble as I was placing one together for that trailer.

WarrenH I still remember packing a rifle on my bike leaving home for that favourite hunting spot not to mention crossbows,slingshots,air rifles etc but those days are long gone I wish we could return to those days it was fun growing up then. That link gave me a chuckle looking at all those rigs and what there hauling.

Ricky