Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Can I declare magpie season over (at least for the Homebush Bay area)?

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:24 pm

IN TAMWORTH, MAGPIES ARE QUIETER, BUT PEE-WEES ARE DEADLY! Got swooped three times, contact twice on the ear. Lots of blood. Sydney road, south of Spain's Lane. :(

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:10 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Can I declare magpie season over (at least for the Homebush Bay area)?
You know what happens when you say that. They are probably regrouping for one final bombing raid.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:18 pm

I know but nothing again today. Riding (without bird attacks) season is officially OPENED!

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 pm

I had one attack me for the first time ever earlier this year, in Hunters Hill at the Pittwater Road/Milling Street junction. Scared the bejeezus out of me the first time it happened although it didn't actually make contact. Second time it felt like it landed on my head and then took off again. There wasn't a third time as I changed my route :D

This is the third year I'd been cycling down that road twice a day five days a week and the first year I've been attacked. Only difference is I have a new helmet this year - glossy red instead of matt grey. I guess that's what made the difference.

soaring

Postby soaring » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Got swooped by one last Saturday. I wasn't expecting it at all since i thought Magpie season was over. It was an area with trees so it flew past me before climbing and coming back. Swooped 3 times, luckily no immediate contact. Tried to duck whenever it came close. I think someone forgot to tell the Magpie that its November!!

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:40 pm

It's definitely still here on the central coast. One real aggresive one that chases you for several hundred metres at The Entrance!!!

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 am

There is still a very persistant one near Narwee station. In fact I now try to go around that place as the bird just won't give up and follows me almost all the way to King Georges rd. :shock:

htleung88

Postby htleung88 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:19 pm

J-Tim wrote:There is still a very persistant one near Narwee station. In fact I now try to go around that place as the bird just won't give up and follows me almost all the way to King Georges rd. :shock:
It's still there?! I've been away most of the past 2 months but I've been around that magpie since early October. What makes it worse is that that section is uphill, so getting away from it gets a lot harder.

I'm wondering when it's safe to ride that street again... maybe February.

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:27 pm

htleung88 wrote:
J-Tim wrote:There is still a very persistant one near Narwee station. In fact I now try to go around that place as the bird just won't give up and follows me almost all the way to King Georges rd. :shock:
It's still there?! I've been away most of the past 2 months but I've been around that magpie since early October. What makes it worse is that that section is uphill, so getting away from it gets a lot harder.

I'm wondering when it's safe to ride that street again... maybe February.

I rode there twice both ways over past week and it seems to have finally gone! Life's good again. :mrgreen:

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:24 pm

queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
HillBilly wrote:Got wacked a few times by the magpie in Essex Street Epping between the roundabout and Epping Road this morning. Very persistent and tenacious! A bystander was having a good laugh at my expense!

Hillbilly
Oh no, I haven't seen this one (yet) this year. Hope it doesn't hang around, it was a persistent one last year.
Haven't seen one in Essex St yet, but coming home on Friday afternoon I got swooped on Pembroke Rd, Marsfield, halfway down the hill to where the SUP starts (just outside CSIRO). He wasn't there in the morning, so I hope it was just passing through and not setting up residence. This is one street that I can't avoid!
Just got swooped here this morning coming up Pembroke outside the CSIRO. Suspect he's back.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:20 pm

got swooped at croydon last night. made contact!

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:54 pm

george-bob wrote:got swooped at croydon last night. made contact!
OUCH hope everything is in tact!

i ride near there as well and after doing one repeat on that side hill i thought i wouldn't chance my luck.. i saw quite a few of them on the lawn eyeing me off

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 pm

We've got a 2012 thread for this haven't we? :?

If not, I'm sure locking this one will help create one... :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011