Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

BenevolantDictatorD

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Ahh. A nice summary of the non-race. It might have been easier if it was a race!! And taking up the reins as a prospective benevolant dictator nicely. As we all know there is only one rule for the gentleman's ride - we leave at 9.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Well the annual Richmond-Orford-Richmond ride was completed today. The weather was quite fantastic, with the exception of the wind during certain parts. I think Masters6 counted out 14 of us at the Richmond carpark and then we set off.

The pace started out all rather gentlemanly and it was a nice tight bunch, we split once we hit the hwy and the lead group ended up with 7 or 8. Coming down bust my gall hill into Buckland the pace got just a smidgen fast and the slower descenders got dropped. Andrew disappeared at Buckland and I sure hope he turned around and went home as the second bunch through said they didn't see him.

Eric completed a 10km ITT to catch back up with us (and a bloody good effort there as we were moving along at around 35+km/h during that part) anyway as the lead bunch regained composure, for some reason the taxman and dogga decided they didn't like bunch riding. They put the hammer down and we strung out to a series of groups consisting of 2,2,1,1. The taxman and dogga couldn't be reigned back in, however the rest of us worked together to get into Orford.

At Orford the remainder caught up and then drinks, food and conversations were had.

We headed back home and the return leg was a group effort into the wind and we all kept reasonably tight with the exception of a few segments here and there. More food and drink was had at Richmond and everyone seemed happy.

For the insane of us that rode into Richmond, well we rode back home over Grasstree. It hurt a lot. Dogga bonked with about 5kms to go from his place and was looking rather sorry for himself.

Overall absolutely smashing ride and a great bunch of blokes to ride with, I am hopefully going to be able to get onto next Wednesdays "it's not a race" ride and no doubt will enjoy that too.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Skull has said it all. With identities such as "dogga", "skull", "taxman" and other devious characters taking part in the r.... rrrr....ride (It never has been a race!) photos will not be published. We dont want wives, girlfriends, partners, or even policemen knowing the actual whereabouts of these people.

Yes, it was a fun ride :D

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Nice report Skull. I was totally cooked. Mel knew something was "wrong" with me the moment I walked in the door. I'm only just coming right now.

Just want to say thanks to all the guys for a fantastic day of riding and hope everyone has an excellent sleep tonight.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:33 am

Sounds like a good ride, is there anyone still out there riding? :?:

Looking forward to getting back to the Wednesday mornign rides!

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:45 am

RobRollin wrote:Sounds like a good ride, is there anyone still out there riding? :?:

Looking forward to getting back to the Wednesday mornign rides!
The Frenchman, on the single speed, with little cycling experience, and a big red bag balanced on his handlebars, is probably still walking. Met him north of "Break me Neck", and he wanted to know about the flatest course to Hobart. Left leg was sore a few days ago, so he started pushing with the right leg. Now right leg is sore. He is planning to head to the west coast.

Can you suggest a flat course to Queenstown. :?: :( :(

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:33 am

Put the bike on a boat and float it round. Reasonably flat apart from the swell...
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:14 am

that was fun...again, again, lets do it again

there was/is talk of and thus will be a ride to Bothwell return via Hamilton in a few weeks. I know this in the wrong thread for this, but i am just putting it out there.
when do we stop for coffee???

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:01 am

BarryTas wrote:that was fun...again, again, lets do it again

there was/is talk of and thus will be a ride to Bothwell return via Hamilton in a few weeks. I know this in the wrong thread for this, but i am just putting it out there.

Correct :)

See details here:-

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... &start=200

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:08 pm

it was good to end the year with the longest ride that i have ever done and to do it on the not BMC, and back it up with a Mt Well ride the next day
when do we stop for coffee???

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:15 pm

And back to the normal channel!

Ill be there tomorrow representing...myself. :D

Right on Master6 and our fearless leaders wheels! :evil: :evil:

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:27 pm

I want to represent. But my God I am stuffed ATM.

Having ridden 900km in the last week and a half has made me a little but exhausted (Yes I am in need of some HTFU).

However I am off for some HTFU training on Thursday through to Sunday in Canberra, so am going to take it easy tomorrow and stay off the legs. That way I can get some quality training done whilst I am away.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Are strangers welcome? And if so, is anyone riding from town and if so, where from and when?

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:25 pm

mcdurdin wrote:Are strangers welcome? And if so, is anyone riding from town and if so, where from and when?
Very welcome. We leave the car park behind the bakery at 9am precisely.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Dont ever be late or face the wrath of the Leader....also we wont be there after 9:00:01am

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:20 am

tube issues prevents me from riding out at Richmond. But I got in a 30k track sess

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:40 am

Tube issues?!? You just didn't want to ride with me. I know.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 am

mcdurdin wrote:Tube issues?!? You just didn't want to ride with me. I know.

New Zipped extender is leaking. And riding on less than 140psi in the rear Gravity Zero is not ideal

skull

Postby skull » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:00 am

You don't have training wheels?

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:04 pm

They are being rebuilt by Kai at Applebys, scratch that they are now rebuilt :)

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:20 pm

RobRollin wrote:tube issues prevents me from riding out at Richmond. But I got in a 30k track sess
Raving gay people have "issues". Be a man, and if you have a "problem", say so. Dont hide behind this pansy issue thing :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Todays "Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride" lacked a little due to the inability of Robrollin to visit his magic* apon us (* talk for pain) :D Hope you can make it next week Rob. Twelve riders today, with Mark Durdin assuming Robs usual role of inflicting pain, however he narrowly missed a "its not a race victory"
The darkest of dark horses, "Midnight Jackson" bolted over the water tower hill, and Ross the Bikeman was leading at the re entry to Richmond.
Listen carefully over the next six days, and you will surely hear the cry "Oh to be in Sunny Richmond next Wednesday'

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:03 pm

Great ride today Master6 but I am surprised that you made no mention of that gentlest of summer breezes?

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:11 pm

mcdurdin wrote:Great ride today Master6 but I am surprised that you made no mention of that gentlest of summer breezes?
Here a breeze; there a breeze; everywhere a big breeze :D

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:42 am

Master6, that was a great ride. I really enjoyed the ride with the Bakery Bunch, especially fun doing 78km/h off the back of Water Tower Hill -- almost the only time that the wind was really helping in the whole ride I think :) I ended up doing 145km in total, but the trip home from Richmond was dreadfully slow into the wind all the way to and over Bowen Bridge. Bowen was freaky to ride over with the wind that strong -- a cross-headwind trying to blow me off my bike, nearly came to a complete stop a couple of times! I paid the price for fighting the headwind all the way back: I ran out of food and bonked on the final climb up Strickland Ave...