prescription Sunglasses

paladin

prescription Sunglasses

Postby paladin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Well a new year and my private health fund benefits have reset.

I want to buy some sport sunglasses with either prescription lenses or the RX lenses.

I am interested in costs and how people have found the actual lenses in terms of clarity and use.

eeksll

Re: prescription Sunglasses

Postby eeksll » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:15 pm

posting how bad your eyes are would also help. OP and others :)

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:32 pm

I got some BBB sunnies with RX inserts about a year ago and had them made up to my script (+6 with astigmatism, so pretty heavy). They work pretty well, the only problem being that I normally need multifocal glasses for reading so I can't read the speedo too well. The lens inserts are pretty close to my eyes so their small size doesn't mean a narrow field of view.

Given the lenses I need the script was pretty expensive, around $250 as I recall, much more than the $50 I paid for the sunnies. As insurance I went looking for another pair in case I damaged or lost them, only to find that they were discontinued. I managed to track some down from the UK so I have a backup.

The model I got isn't there any more but Cecil Walker has the new model BBB BSG-33 Optiview, which look pretty similar (though not compatible with mine, different insert).

Having said all this, I just decided to try contact lenses again (I used to wear them all the time but stopped for various reasons). I've just been fitted with some disposable lenses (30 day) and a pair of reading glasses. I'm finding it much better than the inserts, not just for riding. So, think about that if it's an option.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

paladin

Postby paladin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:20 pm

eeksll wrote:posting how bad your eyes are would also help. OP and others :)
4.0 both eyes

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:02 pm

I went with Oakley Flak and transitions lenses, since they are particularly critical for me for night riding in 24hr mountain bike events.

I got stung for $675, $550 after health fund rebate.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 pm

i use contacts at the moment. Both eyes hovering on 6-7 range.

I have enquired about them at multiple optical stores, some outright say no can't do them/don't get them. One store offered full refund if they did not work for me, as I delved deeper and talked to the optometrist, he basically said don't get them.

Interested to see what the optometrists say to the OP. I guess if I where willing to to get flat sunnies/not wrap around ones it could work.

I had considered the inserts, but worried about fogging and price and also someone I know had them and she said that she did not wear them cause they sat too close to her eyes and my eyelashes will hit normal wrap around sunnies.

so its stay with contacts or eye surgery for me.

macski

Postby macski » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 am

I have a similar correction level 3.75 and use disposable contacts with ordinary Rudy Project cycling sunglasses. I tried the prescription insert but hated it - there was too much distortion. My glasses guy has re-done the lenses twice for me to try to improve it but I just can't use them.

If I wanted to go down that track though I would get prescription Rudy Projects - but the ones that are made up in the Italian manufacturing plant not the US because they are glass not acrylic lenses. They gurantee that the lense is true at all points. Not cheap though - around $900.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Same here, blew a fortune on RX inserts for some 'cheap' sunnies, but the distortion due to the curvature is horrible. I wasn't intending to use them much, just once/twice a week to get around issues of low humidity at work drying the contacts out.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

triangle

Postby triangle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 pm

I got Oakley straight jackets made up (don't have my prescription handy but am pretty short sighted with bad astigmatism). They cost a fair bit and took six weeks to arrive but they are perfect. Superb quality lenses.

gabrielle260

prescription Sunglasses

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:06 pm

After years of trying all the different options already discussed in this thread, I have got transitions lenses in my normal glasses and wear those for all riding. They have been good for every variety of ride I have done. I am now -5.5 and need multi focals (sign of old age!) so contacts are no longer a viable option despite the 20 pairs of disposables I have in the cupboard!

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 pm

I got some from a site called zennioptical (I'm ~3.0). They are a Chinese crowd fronted through the US. I got a set delivered to Aust for $70 USD and a replacement frame for $35 USD after a fall that cracked the frame. I've been using them for about 3 years now and the inserts are still in very good condition.

They aren't the highest quality and they don't do multi focals but I wear mine almost every day and they do the job.

I've seen a few negative comments about them around the place but I've had no problems.

macski

Postby macski » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:13 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:After years of trying all the different options already discussed in this thread, I have got transitions lenses in my normal glasses and wear those for all riding. They have been good for every variety of ride I have done. I am now -5.5 and need multi focals (sign of old age!) so contacts are no longer a viable option despite the 20 pairs of disposables I have in the cupboard!
I also have transitions lenses in my normal glasses and wore them for a couple of days recently when I couldn't wear the disposable contacts and I found them really uncomfortable because they didn't provide the wrap around protection. Even on small downhills I found my eyes were streaming tears. But perhaps if my normal glasses were bigger it might be better.

splunk

Postby splunk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:15 am

Go laser if you can. Best thing I have done!

Had worn corrective glasses since primary school for 20 years. I was short sighted with -4.00. Tried everything before laser:
- with inserts as they fogged up bad (had rudy projects)
- oakley with scripts but difficult in early mornings/late at night
- contacts are annoying

So I have wasted time and not to mention a lot of money on the above options, plus the cost of everyday glasses.

Spend the $4-5k and get laser and never have to worry about corrective glasses again!

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:20 pm

I got Rudy Project Sunnies with prescription lenses for a little over $700. They are great, but I should have looked after them better as they are a bit scratched up after twelve months. The lenses are machined in Israel and take a couple of weeks to come back. In future I will get the frames from wiggle, and just order the lenses through my optometrist. I want a pair of photochromics for MTBing. The good thing about the Rudy's is that you can swap lenses in and out of the same frame
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

macski

Postby macski » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Crittski wrote:I got Rudy Project Sunnies with prescription lenses for a little over $700. They are great, but I should have looked after them better as they are a bit scratched up after twelve months. The lenses are machined in Israel and take a couple of weeks to come back. In future I will get the frames from wiggle, and just order the lenses through my optometrist. I want a pair of photochromics for MTBing. The good thing about the Rudy's is that you can swap lenses in and out of the same frame
Do you know how much the lenses cost by themselves? When I last looked into it the lenses alone were so expensive that it was not much extra to get the complete glasses. If it is more reasonable now I would only buy the lenses because I already have Rudy Project frames that I like.

splunk

Postby splunk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 am

Try erudy.com.au - I have ordered clear lenses from them before.

Photochromatic for rydons are $119 which is not that bad...

macski

Postby macski » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:28 am

splunk wrote:Try erudy.com.au - I have ordered clear lenses from them before.

Photochromatic for rydons are $119 which is not that bad...
Ah - :oops: I meant prescription lenses

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 am

macski wrote:Do you know how much the lenses cost by themselves? When I last looked into it the lenses alone were so expensive that it was not much extra to get the complete glasses. If it is more reasonable now I would only buy the lenses because I already have Rudy Project frames that I like.
Can't recall exactly, but I think the lenses were between 400-500.
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:39 am

i have prescription sunnies, they are general sunnies that i wear on the bike. I will soon get some perscrirption sport sunnies

the only down side is that often i have to take my normal glasses with me incase it gets too dark
when do we stop for coffee???

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:56 pm

I went to my local Specsavers to get a price on replacement prescription lenses for my Jawbones, and while they're not cheap, I can understand why.
It's cos Oakley are the only ones who could actually make the 'wrap around' style of their lenses with my prescription, while keeping them thin enough to fit inside the Jawbone frame.

I went to my local OPSM who basically told me the same thing - and was told by the Optometrist there that even looking at the majority of prescription sunnies, they
pretty much all 'flat' as it's near on impossible to get thin, wrapped lenses with prescription, and keeping them thin like the Oakley ones.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Jezza75

Postby Jezza75 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:00 am

I just got me a pair of Flak jackets with transition lens.. OMGosh Happy days and happier nights!
Ok, they arent real dark when I am driving my car, but on the bike they are fatastic!
I got them so I can ride with them in winter day and night, but they passed the summer darkness test with flying colours.

About $650 before heath insurance rebates..

Hills hurt but couches KILL!

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:43 am

I've been using the BBB Powerview Sportsglasses with an insert and interchangeable lenses for about 7 years now, no issues though they are looking a bit scratched and the dark lense is missing a piece. Will buy some BBB Optiviews this year to replace them, the pescription insert originally cost me $90 for the lenses. Anybody find any issues with transition lenses when your zipping in and out of singletrack with the sun in your eyes? I always find clear or yellow lenses better in these situations.
No signature

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:46 am

splunk wrote:Go laser if you can. Best thing I have done!
I asked the opto about that, and she said it's no use for astigmatism

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:52 am

Bentnose wrote:I've been using the BBB Powerview Sportsglasses with an insert and interchangeable lenses for about 7 years now, no issues though they are looking a bit scratched and the dark lense is missing a piece. Will buy some BBB Optiviews this year to replace them, the pescription insert originally cost me $90 for the lenses. Anybody find any issues with transition lenses when your zipping in and out of singletrack with the sun in your eyes? I always find clear or yellow lenses better in these situations.
Mine are mid-to-clear tint. A bit uncomfortable for a few seconds when I first hit bright sunlight from shadow, but they and I adjust pretty quickly so the discomfort is gone in a few seconds. No issues so far on the reverse scenario, in fact they are much superior going bright light to dark to my original Oakley Flaks, which are non Rx and non Transitions.

Phill_B_34

Postby Phill_B_34 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:29 pm

This has been discussed before, check this thread out for more info.....

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=37634

My own sunglasses with prescription inserts.....

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34#p563660

Good luck!
Phill B