How hot is too hot to ride ....

MichaelB

How hot is too hot to ride ....

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:54 am

I know it is summer, but for crying out loud ...

Almost went stir crazy on New Years day, and was meant to get up early to beat the heat, but didn't manage it, so thought I'd head up into the huills where it is cooler later in the day.

Set off at 6pm, and quite quickly realised it was still a bit toasty ..... so decided that discretion is the better part of valour and headed towards the beach.

The garmin peaked at 41.8 degrees heading down Anzac Hwy, and dropped a couple by the time I got to Glenelg, but slowly climbed as I neared Outer Harbour.

Was still 37.6 when I reached home about 8:30pm having done 65km :shock:

I HATE really hot weather, especially when it stays hot at night.

Hopefully tonight is cooler and this is our summer heatwave. One or two days is bearable, but 5 sucks big time .....

rkelsen

Re: How hot is too hot to ride ....

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:22 am

Given that they're shutting down power grids in your part of the world due to excessive heat, I think you may be excused for not riding.

Sitting indoors sucks, but you don't wanna kill yourself. 65km in that sort of heat is a pretty bloody good effort if you ask me, no matter how long it took. You'd wanna be carrying a fair amount of water though. Well done. :)

Glenelg would be pretty nice at this time of year, no? (sez he from the relative comfort of being 800km south east of there...)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:27 am

rkelsen wrote: ... You'd wanna be carrying a fair amount of water though. Well done. :)
Two stops for additional cool water. 5 1/2 bottles in total, plus 2 in the hour before leaving as well ....

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 am

to answer the original question, when is it too hot? When you're in distress.

Good work Michael, but I think you went out in very nearly the hottest part of that day.
New Years day, did Norton Summit etc early and was home by 9.30. It was several degrees cooler in the hills, for sure. For that very reason we decided NOT to go to the coast, which would have necessitated a hot run home across the city for us.

Sunday, went early, rather expected the cooler conditions in the hills but it was not to be. Overnight heat meant it was still stinky hot at the Scenic Hotel before 9am. Filthy day. I find the key is to not push it too hard, looking only to keep moving along and let the distance take care of itself, hydrating often and taking all the other usual precautions.

Sov

Postby Sov » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:16 am

If you're super keen to get out, I reckon an early ride finishing down Gorge Road is brilliant. Gorge Road seems to be quite sheltered and is quite cool as it follows the creek, so if you time your ride well, you'll still be relatively cool by the time the weather heats up mid morning (then you'll fry as soon as you hit suburbia...)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Still looking like a hot evening tonight - forecast is still for 34 deg at 6pm tonight.

Should be cooler in the hills, so will head up to Mt Lofty via Upper Sturt & Sturt Valley Rd. Will be saturating with water beforehand !!!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:00 pm

I went out Christmas eve when it hit 39...that was torturous. Coupled with a head wind and the energy levels just drop. 3 litres of water and a can of coke later I managed the trip back home OK.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:43 pm

I reckon by the time it hits 40 you should be safely home. I went up Mt Lofty Saturday after our coffee ride and had finished 2 bottles by the time I got to the summit so thought that was a sign it was time to go home.

And thanks for the ride last week Michael, hope you enjoyed it.
Certified Brand Snob

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:46 pm

last time i went out in the super hot day i got head exhaustion and ended up vomitting and convulsing. i want to go for a ride now, but dont want to go through that again. i find being able to get extra water a problem.

so im going to be a girl and wait another hour before going - may not be much cooler but at least the sun will be more afternoon that middle of the day sun
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:26 pm

i did 2 laps of norton summit -> montatcute on new years eve, finished about 12.30.

was definitely cooler up in the hills, but didn't want to go too far as there is no where to get water up in the hills.

I am going to need to have a loop that comes back into cityish/school area where i can fill up again ...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote: And thanks for the ride last week Michael, hope you enjoyed it.
I did indeed, and thanks for the great route. Heading up to Upper Sturt & Sturt Valley road tonight :mrgreen:

Did you work out the freewheel issue ?

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:37 pm

eeksll wrote:
was definitely cooler up in the hills, but didn't want to go too far as there is no where to get water up in the hills.
The toilets at the CFS on Norton Summit are always open to refill water bottles.

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:53 pm

You have got to be crazy. Your brain would cook in that sort of heat, especially under the helmet. :o :shock:
The TDU better not be that hot, as I am coming over I will have to DNF, there is no way my body can stand that sort of overheating
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:51 pm

If your tyres leave narrow grooves in the asphalt, it's too hot. I'm usually OK in the heat if I've got enough water tho' I avoid it most of the time because I can't find a SPF 800+ sunscreen.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:16 am

Apple wrote:You have got to be crazy. Your brain would cook in that sort of heat, especially under the helmet. :o :shock:
The TDU better not be that hot, as I am coming over I will have to DNF, there is no way my body can stand that sort of overheating
My head doesn't overheat like that

No brain, no pain. No sense, no feeling.

This mornings ride was almost freezing. 14.9 deg on the top of Mt Lofty - brrrrrrrr :D :D :D

Even last nights ride felt cold. Was only 30 deg at the start :shock:

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:38 am

MichaelB wrote:
Apple wrote:My head doesn't overheat like that

No brain, no pain. No sense, no feeling.

This mornings ride was almost freezing. 14.9 deg on the top of Mt Lofty - brrrrrrrr :D :D :D

Even last nights ride felt cold. Was only 30 deg at the start :shock:
such extremes in temp :shock:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:54 am

MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote: And thanks for the ride last week Michael, hope you enjoyed it.
I did indeed, and thanks for the great route. Heading up to Upper Sturt & Sturt Valley road tonight :mrgreen:

Did you work out the freewheel issue ?
It was quite nice up in the hills yesterday arvo as it cooled off. Wheel at shop today, it has been closed but should be fine, probably just needs grease ready for 140km tomorrow.
Certified Brand Snob

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Fresh wrote:
eeksll wrote:
The toilets at the CFS on Norton Summit are always open to refill water bottles.
thanks, Ill have a look for them next time I am up there.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:49 pm

I wouldn't be out in 38degs plus as my skin will bake off :O when it's that hot I will take the kayak out for a paddle instead, or just stay home and play Wii

:O
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 am

Last summer:

I think it was copping some reflected heat off the road/path, but my frozen solid water bottle was WARM by the time I got home 25min later.

T.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:10 pm

wow, nasty.... I encountered temps similar to that up North over Christmas and it felt hot to just sit still :O
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:02 am

First the excessive heat, and now the damn wind is here :evil:

Not just a breeze, but a bloody GALE !!! Last nights ride and this morning ascent up Mt Lofty were nuts :shock:

In places where I am normally riding 50/21 or 50/19 on a good day, I was reduced to 34/27 and grunting away. It was stoopid !!

Mind you, nothing compared to battling cancer :cry:

Oh well, HTFU.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:21 am

Bicycling Australia magazine has a recent article:
Over 36c is not advisable, you loose more moisture than you can take on board.
Quote " At 30c you need one bottle per hour, at about 35c you are not able to consume enough fluids to counteract the amount of fluid your body is loosing" unquote.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:24 am

Guys and Girls

Just a bit of a warning from experience. Quite a few years back I was doing a pre season with an amateur AFL team to get fit. Middle of summer heatwave doing endurance work on a 40 degree plus day. Got to about the hour point of a 90min session and collapsed fitting and vomiting then into a coma. Had massive swelling of the brain and shut down of organs. I had been drinking heaps (which i was told saved my body somewhat) but that NEVER prevents heat issues. Spent 3 weeks in ICU and the 3 months recovering and another 3 months getting back to somewhat less than normal. I am told I was extremely lucky and did not suffer permanent brain damage but I know I am not the same as I was before. My thinking is different and I have never been a sharp as I was. And my body has never and will never be the same as the doctors told me time and time again i think to make me realise how close I came to it.
I will never do it again, missing a ride or run bacause it is too hot is NOTHING, I have a family and more respect for my health. One doctor got fired up and asked what sort of a person goes out in excessive heat and puts themselves in such a position to kill themselves, think of your dam family!!! (his words have stuck with me every time I go to risk my health). I know I would had died if I was on a bike on my own or with others as there were no coaches, no ice, nowet towels and no transport close by to get to help ASAP. What happens if you fall on a super hot road with only a bike to get you to a hospital??.
I understand everyone is different and some bodies can take a hell of alot more than others but if you have a family and dont rely on cycling to pay the bills and dont have a support crew in a car to assist when !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! hits the fan is it really worth it???

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Lucky man indeed.

As with anything, you need to ride to the conditions, whether it is hot, cold, wet , windy or a combination.

I knew it was hot, took it easy (Avg HR for the ride was under 70%, and I took on plenty of cool water (stopped to buy fresh water twice).

At no point did I feel like I was in any heat stress, and I have experienced it before in the RAAF, so know the warning signs.

A valid lesson none the less.