PATHETIC - No bicycle rack at PA Hospital

Aushiker

Re: PATHETIC - No bicycle rack at PA Hospital

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Crittski wrote:I think we are on the same page mate...
Hi

I agree, I didn't mean it to come across as a disagreement with what you where suggesting so sorry about that.

Andrew

x8pg2qr

Postby x8pg2qr » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Just donate one to them. Only $30:
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/bike-stand/

(Just kidding).

rhancock

Postby rhancock » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:16 pm

In Brisbane we are both lucky and unlucky in that we generally have very effective government at city level in Brisbane City Council, and the same at state level in the Queensland Government, but unfortunately there is a high level of conflict betweeen the two levels. This is an example where the provision of cycling facilities is generally a BCC issue, and the hospital is a state responsibility.

I suggest its worth ringing BCC (3403 8888 - 24/7) and ask to talk to their cycling department and ask them to do something about it.

Write to the ministers of health and transport at a state level, and to your local councillor and the one for the PA.

By the way, are there any examples of secure parking at public facilities, that aren't the size of the Royal's bike centre? What I'm asking is, what do we want to be provided at the PA?

rhancock

Postby rhancock » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:27 pm

This page on the BCC website: http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic- ... /index.htm has a link to a list of bike racks, which is dated 2006 and doesn't show anything near PA. That page does suggest you contact council if you want to suggest a new location for a bike rack...

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:39 pm

When mum was in hospital I just walked in with mine and put it by her bed out of the way

rhancock

Postby rhancock » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Yes, Bike shelters are mentioned on the page I linked to above. I also found this page on the Translink website which lists train stations with bike facilities, but the nearest is Buranda: http://www.translink.com.au/travel-info ... facilities

This page on the QR website: http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/AllSta ... tions.aspx allows you to check to see what facilities are available at train stations, but there's nothing listed at Buranda, but Park Road has bike lockers, which are designed for commuters, and need to be booked in advance.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Afternoon all

Yes I agree this is rediculas that there is not parking at the PA. Well today I had to make a casual visit there and like with most innercity trips I rode there. As there was only really one suitable spot was already taken I had to park in an unsuitable spot. While all you guys have been debating wether to send off an email or not I have got the ball rolling sending one off to the PA itself and if I am not happy then I will do one to the minister, then if I am not happy with that off to the Opperstion.

Here my email
Dear Sir/Madam

I would like to enquire why there is no Bicycle Parking at the Princess Alexandra Hospital?

I was visiting the hospital today and was forced to secure my bike to an assistance railing outside the main entry. As you would agree this is not acceptable and I am not proud of it but I simply had not other option. Another bicycle that was there was also parked up against another railing thnkfully this was out of the way. Upon leaving I asked a lady at the information stand where is the bicycle parking , to which after ringing someone she informed me that there currently is non.

While there I noted, there is plenty of space outside the main entry in which bicycle parking rails could be installed. I respectfully request that bicycle parking be provided outside the main entrance. Parking that is not in easy sight and not exposed to passive surveillance will not be used. This may be due to casual visitors such as myself not knowing where it is or fears of it not being exposed to surveillance.

Sincerely
Donald *********
Donald
Last edited by beauyboy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling mistake
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Missy24 wrote:When mum was in hospital I just walked in with mine and put it by her bed out of the way
That's what I do at my Dad's nursing home.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Ok fair enough I will have a crack
1. I am not asking for a Cage or a structure I am simply requesting Bicycle Parking Rails. Minimal space and Cost.
2. I am not asking for extra security staff as passive survalance would do most of the job and be covered by existing cameras
3. The Main Entrance has a setdown Zone that is free for Motorists. A bicycle is mostly a solo vehicle so the idea of a setdown is not practical.
4. A Car is self locking where as a bike is not.

Ofcourse then we go onto the whole cyclists being less of a drain on the health services (if we weren't being continously hit by cars) so on and so forth.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Max

Postby Max » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Oxford, you make a good point. However, the rub here is that the hospital is a government facility, and one that is public health-focussed. The QLD government is pushing for a more active population, and needs to lead by example eg by providing end-of-trip facilities at major community destinations (eg hospitals, schools, libraries) and government workplaces. It makes sense for community health venues to provide some parking for bicycles, as it is in line with overarching objectives of increasing our population's activity levels, reducing burdens on the health system by promoting active living etc.

I personally would be happy to pay $5-10 casual rate to park my bike somewhere secure when visiting a hospital or other large community venue. That said, I think we need to get away from the mentality of government running facilities as a profit centre. There are many government services that do not make money, yet are considered essential (education, public health system etc). Withdrawal of services purely because they don't make money or aren't heavily used doesn't make the need any less real (though it's true the need might not be huge, it's still there). And in this case it would fly against the overriding objectives of improving health. The focus should be on promoting its existence (from what I read, there is a bike parking area for staff at the PA, yet hardly any people/members of the public know about it).

Anyways.. just some thoughts.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:38 pm

I asked the question, and applaud anyone who takes the time to do it politely - they will eventually get sick of people asking and just put it in. They will probably be surprised how popular it will be!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Max you do make a valid point and I do remeber there being staff parking but the thrust of it is visitor parking.

Getting people to commute is only half the battle. The other half is to use it for everyday trips like mine this morning. If we do not provide casual parking facilities we will not get people truely on ther bikes and out of the cars. That said I do not want a big RBWH EoT faciltiy. My bike is getting old it has scratchs it not much to desire All I want is a rail in a open well lite noticed place for me to lock up to.

Donald

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 am

I would like to supply an update.
I have just recieved an email informing me that visitor bicycle parking will be provided at the PA Hospital within the next two months.

Donald

Sir Stinkalot

PATHETIC - No bicycle rack at PA Hospital

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 am

I had a similar situation on Friday. I ride into work everyday so I have my bike. My wife is currently pregnant and we had an appointment at the Women's and Children's Hospital in North Adelaide. My wife got a taxi from home and I rode from work.

On arrival I couldn't find any bike racks. I went around the back and noticed some signage indicating bike parking. After finding the parking it was just a secure storage cage for staff. Everywhere else there were signs warning that bikes locked to rails and the like around the place would be removed by security.

In the end I went back on the street and chained my bike to a no standing sign which also had a smelly ashtray attached.

I spent about 5 minutes looking for somewhere to secure my bike before giving up as I didn't want to be late. I did not look around the entire building so they may have some hidden racks and if they do that would indicate poor signage. I just checked their website and they don't mention anything about bicycle parking that I can see.

As an architect most buildings we design now need to include secure bike facilities which is a good thing. With hospitals costing millions of dollars a day to run you would think there would be a lazy $1000 lying around to buy a secure bicycle rack.

ekib

Postby ekib » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:29 pm

beauyboy wrote:I would like to supply an update.
I have just recieved an email informing me that visitor bicycle parking will be provided at the PA Hospital within the next two months.

Donald
MountGower

I see that your work seems to have some results.

If you look at the PA hospital website, you will find some information on bicycle parking!
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/pahospital ... efault.asp --Good Work!

Unfortunately, other public hospitals seem very similar.
I experienced the exact same situation recently at the Prince Charles Hospital at Chermside. A huge hospital site (about 25000 square metres), several thousand workers and visitors and zero (thats right zero) facilities for parking a bicycle for the public. They do have some parking for staff, but nothing for the public.
I told them that was strange, because whilst I was there I picked up a brochure where the Qld government were encouraging me to eat 5 vegeatables and 2 fruits and get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day!
How strange that a hospital that specializes in heart surgery cannot provide a single bicycle park for the public.

Am I missing something ?

End of rant, Ekib
The End.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 pm

i like to take a large besser brick and lock my bike to that.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:13 pm

MountGower

I see that your work seems to have some results.
:?: umm I missing something here :?:
I sent the email off to the PA, and I sent the email off to the minister when I got no reply
I don't want a cake or anything but credit where credit is due

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Cool lets have a fight over who got it changed!! /me goes off to bake a cake...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:07 pm

OK the Bike parking is in but I have to say I am less than impressed where they have parked it. They have decided to place it out of the way down near the Ipswich Road Pedestrian overpass far away from the Main entrance. I am debating weather I can be bothered writing off another email about that fact. I do intend on sending off another reguarding the fact that the website and web map have not been updated.

Donald

Here is my bike parked in it.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 pm

beauyboy wrote:They have decided to place it out of the way down near the Ipswich Road Pedestrian overpass far away from the Main entrance...
... where nobody will use it because of theft and personal security concerns.

Tokenism writ large. :| :roll:

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:13 pm

I agree that if that is all they have provided, then that is pretty poor.
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:19 pm

I have just had a look on the Transport Website in there own notes and it breaks three out of the these four rules about placement.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/e1ce0 ... lities.pdf
I intend on sending one email off to the PA hospital and another off to the minister.
Oh well that gives me something to do in the afternoon.

Donald

serrin

Postby serrin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:04 am

Probably not quite relevant to visitors of the glorious Minotaur Maze (R) that is the PAH, but there's a decently sized staff bike park downstairs in the VMO car park. I've been parking my bike there since I was a med student in '06; there's also some showers nearby too. For any staff member wanting to get access, see the security staff on ground floor for the combination.
Unfortunately since they expanded it to cover 4 car parking spaces couple of years back, security has been clamping down people parking their bikes outside of designated areas. They probably don't realise that visitors may, on occasion, feel like riding their bikes to visit their loved ones.