cyclist struck by a car

Stoo

cyclist struck by a car

Postby Stoo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 am

cyclist struck by a car at acacia ridge along Leroy road this morning. (not a large shoulder to ride on)
Hope it was not too serious and i hope that the cyclist is ok..... (i know forum member Le velo rides along this road a bit too)

i know there was a few rides going on this morning.....so just a general take it easy on the roads this morning.
2004 Argon 18 Radon
2012 Argon 18 krypton
2010 Argon 18 Gallium Pro
2013 Argon 18 E-116

Le Velo

Re: cyclist struck by a car

Postby Le Velo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:11 am

Hi stoo, not me but thanks for the concern and heads up. I'll check with the local guys to make sure everyone is ok.
(ps: should catch up for a ride sometime?)

heay

Postby heay » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Guys not me either, but I have not been on the bike due to the big crash I had on christmas day. I was in northern NSW doing some climbing training and came down a steep descent into a valley that had some very bad cross winds going through it which knocked me off the road where I lost control of the bike on gravel. End result a heap of skin taken off on my butt and back, have put my neck and back out cut up my left leg and cracked my helmet, worst thing was I didn't have my mobile with me so I could not contact anyone to come and help me out so I had to get back on the bike with all the injuries and ride home.

Hopw you all had a great christmas and new years.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:01 pm

heay wrote:Hi Guys not me either, but I have not been on the bike due to the big crash I had on christmas day. I was in northern NSW doing some climbing training and came down a steep descent into a valley that had some very bad cross winds going through it which knocked me off the road where I lost control of the bike on gravel. End result a heap of skin taken off on my butt and back, have put my neck and back out cut up my left leg and cracked my helmet, worst thing was I didn't have my mobile with me so I could not contact anyone to come and help me out so I had to get back on the bike with all the injuries and ride home.

Ouch hope you recover quickly ..... that is why I don't do any climbing training (Just kidding) I always make sure I take my phone everytime for that same reason and carry some ID just in case.

Stoo

Postby Stoo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:49 pm

good to know that all's well.........apart from heay's stack....sorry to hear that.

P.s I'm always happy to go for a spin.
2004 Argon 18 Radon
2012 Argon 18 krypton
2013 Argon 18 E-116

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Heay, did you have deep dish wheels in that cross wind?
How heavy are you?

Hope you are well and truly on the mend.

I always carry a phone, even on group rides, as you can get dropped and be left to the wolves.
In fact, you have just reminded me to arrange with my group a couple of numbers to call in case of emergency or breakdown. Some of us don't always have partners to call, so a good idea to have someone who can back you up.

There's a race training group in Brisbane called Coyote Racing and one of the fathers is their backup. Very smart.

heay

Postby heay » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:36 pm

PawPaw wrote:Hi Heay, did you have deep dish wheels in that cross wind?
How heavy are you?

Hope you are well and truly on the mend.

I always carry a phone, even on group rides, as you can get dropped and be left to the wolves.
In fact, you have just reminded me to arrange with my group a couple of numbers to call in case of emergency or breakdown. Some of us don't always have partners to call, so a good idea to have someone who can back you up.

There's a race training group in Brisbane called Coyote Racing and one of the fathers is their backup. Very smart.
I do have aero wheels on but not that deep, just the standard that came with my Felt F5 2011 team issue.

70kg is my weight want to get down to 67kg for my climbing.

Normally I do carry a phone but I was very keen to go out on christmas day so I forgot to take it with me (stupid I know). My light weight would have not helped any in the conditions into the valley and I was not really concerntrating when I should have been, these things happen and I will take my time before heading out.

Healing has gone really well as the inlaws are all nurses and paramedics, changed the bandages every day so it was much quicker for the gravel rash than I thought. I still get neck pain and the back is still out but I'm hoping to go for a ride in the next few days.

Thanks guys for the thoughts.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Le Velo wrote:
heay wrote:Hi Guys not me either, but I have not been on the bike due to the big crash I had on christmas day. I was in northern NSW doing some climbing training and came down a steep descent into a valley that had some very bad cross winds going through it which knocked me off the road where I lost control of the bike on gravel. End result a heap of skin taken off on my butt and back, have put my neck and back out cut up my left leg and cracked my helmet, worst thing was I didn't have my mobile with me so I could not contact anyone to come and help me out so I had to get back on the bike with all the injuries and ride home.

Ouch hope you recover quickly ..... that is why I don't do any climbing training (Just kidding) I always make sure I take my phone everytime for that same reason and carry some ID just in case.
Apologies for being slightly off-topic but phones are not fool-proof.

Recently i did an event in Victoria and took a wrong turn and ended up in a heatwave situation.
I tried to communicate my predicament to my partner back at event HQ.
But the heat had affected my phone and the phone defaulted to Dutch language and network other than my SIM card
So i sent lots of messages and messages were being sent to me by those concerned for my welfare but noone got these messages and we did not know that the phone was not sending or receiving appropriately until i got sick of the Dutch language interface and pressed the reset button. :shock:
Conditions were very hot and at one rest stop there were 2 cyclists with snapped chains.
It was at least 41 degrees C
What a day :!:

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:47 pm

That's a very good point elantra, on a personal note I carry the phone in a separate zip-lock back to avoid any sweat all over it, in particular with an iPhone which makes the touch screen very tricky, for that same reason and limit the chance of damage, mis-use

Stoo

Postby Stoo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:01 pm

More importantly....and its been on everyone's mind but they have been too scared to mention this

how's the bike?
2004 Argon 18 Radon
2012 Argon 18 krypton
2013 Argon 18 E-116

heay

Postby heay » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Stoo wrote:More importantly....and its been on everyone's mind but they have been too scared to mention this

how's the bike?
Would you beleive that it came out with know more than having to replace the bar tape???? I thought there would have been at least a bent derailer are something but not even a mark on it.

Thanks for asking.