"New" CEO for BNSW

"New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:38 pm

..... and it's Alex Unwin...... again. Am I being overly pessimistic in thinking that BNSW is about to go into limbo if not a backward slide again?

http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/content/ne ... nt-cycling
n = 3 for now

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5765
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

by BNA » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:23 pm

BNA
 

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:23 pm

I liked Omar. He was VISIBLE. What happened?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:44 pm

CommuRider wrote:I liked Omar. He was VISIBLE. What happened?


No idea other than an announcement early December 2011 (IIRC) that was was standing down in about a month's time. No reason given. /sigh
n = 3 for now

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5765
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

"New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:21 pm

I rode with Omar on cycle QLD and had a few chats with him. We didn't agree on everything but I was impressed by him none the less.

Cross fingers for you all that the new guy is as good.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm

He's done the job before Comedian. I hold out very minimal hope that it's not just a way for him to pull in a living........
n = 3 for now

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5765
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby bomber » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:44 pm

Boognoss wrote:He's done the job before Comedian. I hold out very minimal hope that it's not just a way for him to pull in a living........


Interesting thought. Who decides what BNSW does? The members or the committee/ board? I certainly know nothing of the org and what it could it does for me as a cyclist in NSW.

The website certainly doesn't clear it up for me.
“Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live.” Mark Twain
bomber
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: Land of the Young and Free

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby wombatK » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:46 pm

There was an article on it in SMH last week

Bicycle Group at a Crossroads as it faces an uphill battle to decide its direction

which wrote
And the agenda for the meeting included four resolutions, backed by more than 50 signatories, that directly challenged the authority of the board and watered down its power in favour of the membership.
...
By the end of the meeting, the resolutions were defeated largely on proxy votes directed by board members. Within a fortnight, Khalifa had quit.

So it seems that there was a challenge to the boards authority, which the incumbents successfully defended. That Omar left
the scene so soon might be a sign that he wasn't sufficiently aligned with the direction the board chose to defend.

The smh article makes a comment on the make-up of the board
was once populated by user group representatives but now features commercial lawyers, lobbyists and management consultants.

Wonder how many of them will show up in future political careers beyond BicycleNSW ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5202
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:54 pm

So board is full of those with peripheral interest in cycling ala weekend warrior types on Italian CF bikes. Given board members aren't paid (orgs like these don't as they're non profit) since they're too busy doing their day jobs, not much representation from wider cycling community.

Dysfunction continues. Thanks BNSW. Couldn't believe it when Omar posted on here. Wonder if the old-new CEO will actually reach out to community he is supposed to represent :? Two steps forward, one step backward. Maybe Omar was too much of an outsider to change the org- American and all that.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Sydguy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:58 pm

They could turn up in the Russian space program if they like as long as they advocate for cyclists in NSW.

Wonder how many members they have? The weather the night of the meeting was inclement to say the least and that may have contributed to the poor turn out. In saying that this is all from the local BUG chief.

He also said that BNSW was trying to become more commercial, no idea what that actually means for cyclists.

In my experience getting into cycling they were totally irrelevant.

JM
Sydguy
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:33 pm
Location: Sydney (Rhodes to City Commuter)

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 pm

The problem with all these groups is that utility cyclists don't join bodies like BNSW. All they can hope to represent is their members but because all the other cyclists don't have a voice they end up being the cycling advocates. I know in QLD they don't do this well.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Omar was the only thing keeping me at BNSW, besides the public liability insurance cover.

Might be time to join BV.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10257
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Will joining BV give us the insurance cover though (which is what is keeping most people's memberships with BNSW)?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:23 pm

CommuRider wrote:Will joining BV give us the insurance cover though (which is what is keeping most people's memberships with BNSW)?


I believe that membership of any state bicycle organisation gives one coverage all over Australia (and poss NZ -also). I'm a member of BNSW but also Bicycle SA and BSA membership covers me anywhere I ride.

I'm not renewing BNSW this year, I'm fed up with their shenanigans, no big rides, announce a Hub rides in Goulburn, cancel without explanation, BICYCLE SA does heaps more for their members, IMHO
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Boognoss wrote:He's done the job before Comedian. I hold out very minimal hope that it's not just a way for him to pull in a living........

Nice guy, and no doubt capable, but doesn't hold a candle to Omar. Omar had vision and drive, and wasn't afraid to say what needed to be said. Very disappointed. Omar achieved more in advancing the cause of cyclists on Sydney's roads in the last year than BNSW did in the four previous added together.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10257
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:46 pm

wombatK wrote:Wonder how many of them will show up in future political careers beyond BicycleNSW ?

I'm guessing Zero, because they are basically crap at politics.

I honestly don't see the point of BNSW. They need to be the same profile as NRMA to get the results in the public sphere. They clearly are not. Even the Pedestrian Council would be taken more seriously.
Xplora
 
Posts: 5828
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:20 am

FFS... not good :(
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2710
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Any BNSW members that are upset with this appointment (as I am) can post in John Holstein's thread (and as I have) on the BNSW forums (if you can find the posts in amidst all the tumbleweed) here!!
n = 3 for now

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5765
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby ghop0man » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:50 pm

Omar gave me hope there might be change from the previous administration - back to the past gives me no hope of anything worthwhile!
User avatar
ghop0man
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:15 am
Location: Loftus, Sydney,

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby gururug » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Many people are critical of Alex, to be fair, he's not bad.

His action's are bound by funding and the board which places big limitations on what can be done. Yes Omar was more visible and outwardly optimistic but did he really achieve that much more?

Realistically, they are very limited in what they can achieve, but there seems to be a consensus that better member contact / benefits / event's rather than media / lobbying / pipe dreams would assist in attending to the negative image many people hold of them.

Bike usage continues to grow, so let's hope they can become more relevant and engaging into the future.
User avatar
gururug
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:19 am

gururug wrote:Many people are critical of Alex, to be fair, he's not bad.

His action's are bound by funding and the board which places big limitations on what can be done. Yes Omar was more visible and outwardly optimistic but did he really achieve that much more?

Realistically, they are very limited in what they can achieve, but there seems to be a consensus that better member contact / benefits / event's rather than media / lobbying / pipe dreams would assist in attending to the negative image many people hold of them.

Bike usage continues to grow, so let's hope they can become more relevant and engaging into the future.


Sorry but I strongly disagree with pretty much everything you say. Being visible is one of the key things I expect from a body such as Bicycle NSW and in particular its CEO, challenging the negative spin being being bandied about by certain aspects of the media. THis year I rejoined Bicycle NSW after an absence of more than 10 years because for the first time I can remember, I heard of the organisation & what they were trying to achieve.

Without vision & a visible CEO, your hope of relevance & engagement is nothing more than the pipe dreams you criticise.

As an organisation Bicycle NSW needs to rethink where it wants to be & how it is going to get there.

Unless there are positive indications of change within Bicycle NSW, I will not be renewing my membership
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3639
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:00 am

Boognoss wrote:Any BNSW members that are upset with this appointment (as I am) can post in John Holstein's thread (and as I have) on the BNSW forums (if you can find the posts in amidst all the tumbleweed) here!!

Done.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10257
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Oxford » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:28 am

I would expect the CEO of an institution like a bicycle advocacy group to be very visible. as soon as anything cycling related happens they should be there like stink on a blanket. doesn't matter whether its a good, bad or indifferent incident, they should be there, being seen as the go to person for a comment. every bit of publicity is good publicity. if they cannot do that, then they should pass on the job.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 4941
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:41 am

Boognoss wrote:Any BNSW members that are upset with this appointment (as I am) can post in John Holstein's thread (and as I have) on the BNSW forums (if you can find the posts in amidst all the tumbleweed) here!!

trailgumby wrote:Done.

I would post on the BNSW forums, however despite going through various hoops to verify that I am in fact a member, it seems that I still need "approval" from an administrator before I am permitted to post a comment.

Any organisation that wants to control which of its members can join a discussion forum has its head inserted in another orrifice.
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3639
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:41 am

:lol:

Boognoss, i did have a look at the forum but didn't think much of it. Liked the first comment though: "didn't know the position was being advertised." :? Must have been a rash, internal appointment if it didn't go out publicly. If it were more a professional organisation, they'd have at least the position advertised, and whether it was a permanent or say 3-year appointment. Instead, having the successor being the former CEO and the way this has been handled suggests an org going through a leadership crisis - amongst other things.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 am

I enquired with Bicycle Victoria this morning and received a quick response advising that their insurance cover is Australia-wide. Looks like I'm jumping ship next month when my BNSW membership is due.
n = 3 for now

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5765
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Next

Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit