Treating a Saddle Sore

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Tim

Treating a Saddle Sore

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:19 am

My question is about treating, rather than preventing saddle sores. I've got a beauty. It's about the size of a twenty cent coin. It's hard, round and raised but doesn't have a "head" on it, that is, I can't squeeze and burst it like a big pimple (lovely).
I remember from years ago my Grandmother used to make a poultice from oats or maybe bread to draw an infection to the surface and then burst and drain the offender but I think maybe this might be a bit old fashioned. Besides how do I get around all day with a bag of oats or loaf of bread strapped to my inner thigh.
Anybody got any suggestions or had any experience on how to get this monstrous boil up to the surface so I can "pop" it. I fear maybe a trip to the doctor, a scalpel and lancing could be the only (painful) remedy if this alien growth won't surface on its own. HELP !!!!!

TimW

Re: Treating a Saddle Sore

Postby TimW » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 am

Try some Magnoplasm, which is an ointment from the chemist and it draws the muck out and makes popping easier :shock: :shock: :shock: . I don't generally suffer from them,if i do they are small and poppable :shock:
Check with the Dr or Chemist first though.Hope that helps.Tim

http://www.maynepharma.com/products/cur ... agnoplasm-

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks Tim, that stuff looks good. I certainly don't relish the indignity or pain of the Doctor and his scalpel. I'll try it first.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Tim wrote:I certainly don't relish the indignity or pain of the Doctor and his scalpel. I'll try it first.
I tried that.... Doctor wimped out himself and gave me antibiotics of all things and an anti boil medication. OFC that stuff didn't work and it eventually came up with a head and I got it down to 1% of it's former glory, few weeks later I got rid of the rest of it

Might have to grab myself some Magnoplasm.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:53 pm

I just wonder if they "naturally" surface, in which case I'll wait, or whether they need some pharmacological persuasion? Also wonder whether home surgery with a sterile splinter probe is a good idea or do they "pop" on their own (beautiful)?

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:00 pm

High zinc content nappy paste will fix it. Apply it before and after rides and when ever you think of it. It works really well.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Magnesium or Zinc? Must have similar properties, they are both metals.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:10 pm

Wont be riding until this little bugger erupts, it's too painful. Even just walking hurts a bit. Glad I'm still on holidays. Maybe beer and rest will help.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Tim wrote:I just wonder if they "naturally" surface, in which case I'll wait, or whether they need some pharmacological persuasion? Also wonder whether home surgery with a sterile splinter probe is a good idea or do they "pop" on their own (beautiful)?
My case
I went to the doctor hoping he would get rid of it then and there as I had a tour 8 weeks away and NEEDED to be cycling for it. Instead he gives me anti-biotics first then when I run out of those and no change puts me on Anti boil medication. Now that did appear to make a slight difference but it still remained. 4.5 weeks had elapsed and I went !!!! I NEED TO CYCLE to train for my tour, this is going to HURT but my legs need the training. On the way home I crash screwing up my shoulder, boil is now forgotten for the time being. 7 weeks after getting the dratted boil I notice a lil white point on it. SQUEEEZED until I had gotten majority of it out and had some blood coming up. Cleaned up the area to prevent infection and put a bandaid on. The remainder was not painful anymore and I got rid of that a few weeks later.

I tried to pop it myself before it got a head, it was just TOOO painful. So if you are prepared to wait go for it, but I suggest pharmacolgical persuasion.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 pm

I have no boil problems whatsoever - but I love reading about others having to pop their monuments to the zit gods. :twisted:

:lol: :lol:

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I had one at the top of my arse crack (but still in the crack :shock: )about 4 years ago.Could not walk properly sheesh it was painfull.Dr Put me on heavy dose of antibiotics, then i applied magnoplasm liberally :shock: :shock: , when she popped, i nearly danced the highland jig, the relief was that good lol. :D Distasteful subject but a painful fact of life!!!

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:08 pm

cp123 wrote:I have no boil problems whatsoever - but I love reading about others having to pop their monuments to the zit gods. :twisted:
Just for your entertainment I'll keep this thread regularly updated. :D :D :D
As of this afternoon the said carbuncle has formed a small white head just off to the side of the main mountaintop. This however is only a small secondary surface zit and not the real offender, easily dealt with. Mt. Vesuvius is building up in pressure and pain but is not yet ready to blow. There is not yet any white colour evident, more so just a dark red/black angry look to it. I have a pack of sterile splinter probes on hand ready to pierce the peak once the pus appears closer to the surface. Stay tuned for further reports. The next problem will be a crick in the neck from the contortionist tricks required to view the thing
My apologies to the more delicately minded forum members, this saga will be over soon, I hope. Internet "friends" are such good things, I could never discuss such a delightful topic with my real friends.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:41 pm

post a photo? :P

Did you ever see this giant zit? gag! http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=giant ... QAg&zoom=1

man - what i wouldn't do to see that one explode...

edited to add - i am not really a sicko - :P

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:58 pm

cp123 wrote:
Did you ever see this giant zit? gag! http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=giant ... QAg&zoom=1
Better get a bucket, I think I'm gunna throw up.
cp123 wrote: edited to add - i am not really a sicko - :P
Not so sure about that.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Could also try Tea Tree oil, it dries out boils as well.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I tried to pop it myself before it got a head, it was just TOOO painful. So if you are prepared to wait go for it, but I suggest pharmacolgical persuasion.
The doctor won't scalpel without a pointed head either. Pointed head means it has matured with a pus filled cavity, one that's suitable for incision and drainage. Without a pointed head, the scalpel will just cut into grossly inflammed tissue and make a mess of your underside. Patience is the word while topical/systemic A/B takes effect. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:56 pm

sogood wrote:Without a pointed head, the scalpel will just cut into grossly inflammed tissue and make a mess of your underside. Patience is the word while topical/systemic A/B takes effect. :wink:
Ahaa.. Thanks Sogood. I'll just "sit on it" for a while longer. Let things fester and brew a bit, then attack it with the splinter probe.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Never that big thank Fred!
Anothe point for Magnaplasm. A day or two off the bike so there's no pressure on the engorged area often assists with bringing things to a head.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

toolonglegs

Treating a Saddle Sore

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Tiny dab of .5% or 1% hydrocortisone cream clears up saddle sores in a day or two without fail... But only use it if you get them periodically because it weakens the skin etc. certainly better than letting them turn into boils.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:06 pm

how on earth did you end up with a saddle sore that bad anyway? I cycled about a thousand ks in jeans over a couple of weeks a few years ago and didn't get any that bad :lol:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 pm

You're all a bunch of sooks! :lol: Just squease the bejesus out of them and hit them with meytho. :mrgreen:

I had them probably half a dozen times when I was racing and when I did a all but 2000km charity ride and was much better after
I popped them and if they wouldn't burst while squeasing, then I would drag out a needle and say cop that. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:22 pm

lethoso wrote:how on earth did you end up with a saddle sore that bad anyway? I cycled about a thousand ks in jeans over a couple of weeks a few years ago and didn't get any that bad :lol:
I"m not sure what caused this monster. I've had small, only slightly bothersome ones in the past. Mostly I suspect the exceptionally hot weather from a few days ago. As a point of interest my average heartbeat rate was 12 BPM higher on that day than on any other occasion over the same course, and I thought I was taking it easy.
foo on patrol wrote:You're all a bunch of sooks! :lol: Just squease the bejesus out of them and hit them with meytho. :mrgreen:
I used to use rubbing alcohol as a preventative in racing days gone by. You've never felt burning pain as bad as when it is over vigorously splashed on the gonads. Yeeeeeeiiiiiikes it stings.I still remember running around the house, head down, arse up, butt naked wafting a towel around trying to get the alcohol to evaporate as fast as possible. Only made that mistake once.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:54 pm

I dunno...get a good rub of deepheat on ya nuts and you know about for a wee while :lol:

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:25 pm

An old boy racer i know used to apply meths to the gooch daily to harden the skin up presumably to avoid this.....

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:11 am

Put preparation H or similar on them to reduce the inflammation and only pop them after a long hot shower. Makes it more sanitary and easier to do with soft skin. Then buy some decent knicks, aussie butt cream and a selle turbo saddle - problem solved.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.