yellow memo note for cars parked illegally on bike lane?

jessicac74

yellow memo note for cars parked illegally on bike lane?

Postby jessicac74 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi - I read a while ago about a campaign in NZ (or somewhere) where yellow sticky notes were placed on illegally parked cars on marked bike lanes. Can anyone recall who did it and where?

I've googled this with various search terms and no luck!

HappyHumber

Re: yellow memo note for cars parked illegally on bike lane?

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:48 pm

I must admit I'd be pretty dubious about the effectiveness of any such campaign.

The idea reminded me of a blog posting here about why advertising leaflets placed under wiper blades only tend to irritate the driver rather than sway them to buy anything. I think anyone pissed of in a situation like this is more likely to react against a cause or message from a mild mannered vigilante action like this.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:12 pm

+1 to HH, a counterproductive idea IMO. Someone could put a brochure for free beer under my wipers and it would get ignored (maybe :lol: ). It annoys me for the same reason door to door sales people do, I don't knock on your door, so don't knock on mine.

Of course I'm assuming you are looking for it to potentially use the idea, I could be wrong (but if I am, don't tell my wife) 8)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:45 pm

When cars are parked on the footpath I fold their mirrors in as I walk past. Seems to work, after a few goes they start parking on the verge or on the lawn of the house rather than blocking the footpath.

Not as easy to do with bike lane blockers though, I am too busy checking the traffic behind to ensure it's safe to merge.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:52 pm

I think the guy who did that blog post has an anger issue if a little bit of paper on his windshield makes him mad ... 8)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:06 pm

I understand that sticker on car glass windows is now illegal, similar to wheel clamping. Given a complete lack of power by those who need to reinforce rules (eg. Private property etc), the only solution is clandestine ops. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:15 pm

jet-ski wrote:I think the guy who did that blog post has an anger issue if a little bit of paper on his windshield makes him mad ... 8)
He may be a lot older cranky fart than I am, but as a younger cranky fart in training - I admire the guy. :D.

But seriously.. even though Dave Moulton is a cyclist himself; couldn't his attitude apply to the many other defensive, reactionary motorists with personal space problems? e.g. reluctance to merge, giving way and general patience issues?

I know I really have to breathe deep and think happy thoughts the times I am forced to drive in traffic. It's just a vent for some people being on the road, scarily enough. I try to make up peoples issues for them as a bit of a game when I see bad behaviour.

- Their brand new 55" Plasma just blew up,
- Their stomach banding operation is causing problems
- Repayments on the new XArgh8 or HSV is impacting their 40 a day cig habit
- their de facto partner has swapped sides just run off with their ex-spouse

All this aside.. I do like the mirror flipping idea, jet-ski
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:48 pm

I report by smartphone app neat streets. Make sure your photo includes the number plate and shows the car parked on the path/lane.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 pm

I had a problem with cars parking completely over a dedicated, bike/ped path. It was beside a parking area for some sporting fields. It stopped happening after I started raising any guilty party's windscreen wipers up (note: raising only, not bending!!). Not sure if "touching" somebody else's car is legal or not but I figure nothing was damaged.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Inwood wrote:I had a problem with cars parking completely over a dedicated, bike/ped path. It was beside a parking area for some sporting fields. It stopped happening after I started raising any guilty party's windscreen wipers up (note: raising only, not bending!!). Not sure if "touching" somebody else's car is legal or not but I figure nothing was damaged.

much kinder than the water pistol full of brake fluid :roll:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm

master6 wrote:
Inwood wrote:I had a problem with cars parking completely over a dedicated, bike/ped path. It was beside a parking area for some sporting fields. It stopped happening after I started raising any guilty party's windscreen wipers up (note: raising only, not bending!!). Not sure if "touching" somebody else's car is legal or not but I figure nothing was damaged.

much kinder than the water pistol full of brake fluid :roll:
Or cutting the valves off their tyres with sidecutters. This is an absolutely diabolical move, because you only have one spare, and can't inflate if there is no valve to keep the air in. :shock: It's actually a lot easier than you think with decent Knipex sidecutters :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jessicac74

Postby jessicac74 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:30 am

I wont use it - but it's been a nagging thought for a while sicne I am unable to google it.
I remember you could buy a pack somewhere, but in any case i found this website where you can upload photos of the car's rego number and a picture of how they've illegally parked. it's worldwide - you just have to choose your city (sydney/melbourne etc)
http://www.mybikelane.com/

@rolandp I dont have an iphone so I am not able to make use of handy apps like neat streets. just went on the website - might be able to do upload online.

main issue is sharing the road regardless if bike, car or motorbike. one day.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:59 am

Here are a couple of examples I have reported via Neat Streets (appreciate that you don't have a smart phone):
Image Report 10006145
ImageReport 10005887
ImageReport 10005881

The last one is interesting as it indicates that the car 'may have been broken down and the owner has done the right thing by pushing the vehicle off the road and onto the shared path.' by the City of Perth. No driver in sight, no repair vechiles, can I honestly believe that the owner would have left their expensive car and didn't have a mobile phone to arrange for its collection/road-side assistance?

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 am

rolandp wrote:Here are a couple of examples I have reported via Neat Streets (appreciate that you don't have a smart phone):...
The last one is interesting as it indicates that the car 'may have been broken down and the owner has done the right thing by pushing the vehicle off the road and onto the shared path.' by the City of Perth. No driver in sight, no repair vechiles, can I honestly believe that the owner would have left their expensive car and didn't have a mobile phone to arrange for its collection/road-side assistance?
Yet another example of how the City of Perth sees bicycles as insignificant.
Apparently the right thing is to block the shared path rather than to block the road. :roll:
Too old to live, too slow to die.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:56 pm

rolandp wrote:ImageReport 10005881

Maybe couldn’t afford the car AND a mobile phone so chose the car?*

I’m even funnier in person :lol:
2012 Oppy A4