Giant Defy 1 (2011) - Back in to Riding!

Ribz

Giant Defy 1 (2011) - Back in to Riding!

Postby Ribz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:33 am

Hello BNA

I have just returned to cycling after a 9 year exodus.
I went out and got what seems a decent bike for the money. It feels reliable and snappy with decent 105 group set.

The first ride was only 6.5kms - and it was nowhere near as easy as I last remember!!! The hill to my house kicked my back side hard!

Below are the specs - Giant Defy 1 (2011) for $1199. I think it was a pretty good deal.
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /100320998

The only thing I can say is the seat is HAAAARRRDD as it gets with absolutely no give. This could just be me as I have been off bikes for so long? If anyone has some suggestions for a comfortable seat that would be great! Are you also able to get proper bike pants with padding?

Well tomorrow is the 2nd ride - hopefully I can actually make it up the hill towards home!

open roader

Re: Giant Defy 1 (2011) - Back in to Riding!

Postby open roader » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Congratulations, back in the saddle after 9 years........ :D

And about the saddle; your 'undercarriage' is not used to the pressure points, vibrations and weight bearing etc which any bike saddle is going to exhibit. Assuming you have a bike that fits you, hang in with the stock saddle for a few hundred km before considering changing it over for something else.

As for something else in the saddle dept. this is a highly subjective and personal choice, every one is different, both in anatomic shape and also how one experiences saddle "issues' ranging from minor inconvenience to discomfort to outright pain, everyone has a limit to how much of this they are prepared to cop or not as the case may be.

Tyre pressure is another factor which can assit or inhibit a comfortable ride. When I recommenced riding I used to pump up my tyres to the max. recommended pressures......because I could. However, now taking into consideration my bodyweight, the type of terrain I ride over and my need for comfort over performance I ride with much reduced tyre pressures to good effect.

As a comfort seeker myself I tried 6 different saddles before I came to one I can live with (brand is irrelevant to this discussion) but thousands of others who started out with the stock saddle my bike came with are happy with the stock saddle........ everyone is different. Keep up the regular riding and your saddle sore issues will largely go away.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:32 pm

Nice bike for the price. I've been looking into getting a Defy or even a TCR if I can get the extra cash. They are pretty nice bikes if you don't care for the sneers you might get from the dentists and lawyers who own $12000 Italian bikes.. :twisted:
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Ribz

Postby Ribz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Good advice on saddles. I just remember my old seat was an el-cheapo and I could sit straight up and peddle no hands for 30kms while chatting with no issues. I will belt out a few hundred clicks and also I think the seat may need some forward sloping adjustment. I am also 10kg heavier than I was 9 years ago and most of it is upper body weight. The legs are not what they used to be :(

Are padded knicks any good? I saw a few today for $30-50 and they looked ok.

As for 2nd ride - I am sitting here looking out the window with rain coming in! Spewin. I planned the whole thing out 15kms with about 20% of it hill climb.

As for $12K bikes with dentists and lawyers riding them... they better do a darn good job next time I employ one!

open roader

Postby open roader » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:43 pm

elStado wrote:the sneers you might get from the dentists and lawyers who own $12000 Italian bikes.. :twisted:
Well, FWIW this gardener who built a fine all Italian bike for half that amount is cheering not sneering. My bo$$ (who is loaded) wants a Giant Defy with 105 groupset after I talked him out of going for flash harry bikes at his first attempt at road riding...... however, I digress......
Ribz wrote:Are padded knicks any good? I saw a few today for $30-50 and they looked ok.
Padded knick - yes they def. are of benefit however, from experience I have found that you really do get what you pay for when it comes to knicks. I'd also recommend you go for a pair of bib knicks and forget about wait band knicks - bibs are so much more comfortable on the bike. When it comes to the padded chamois I think less is more. I have a couple of pairs of knicks with ample acres of padding which looks like a nappy when I'm waering them and just get in the way with it's excessive padding

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:53 pm

Bib Knicks are the way to go I have the 2xu comp bib which are $90 on cell bikes. However I also use the cell bibs and they are awesome for the money. http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Bib-Sh ... gory=37911 give them a go. I have tenelli bibs as well and I still say these are as comfortable as the tenellis, however the material on the more expensive bibs feels better than the cells
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

Ribz

Postby Ribz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Finally I got my 2nd ride in as its near pefect weather - 13.3kms - 32mins - 24.9kph.
Bit hot though and somehow ended up with headwind the entire trip :cry: I thought I would get a small tailwind coming home!

Saddle felt ok once I found the right spot to sit - it definitely needs to be tilted forward some as I had to curve right back in to the seat to make it confortable. Knicks are next!

Next ride will be 20 kms. Hope to to maintain same speed.

Also - what is a good average speed for up to a 40-50km trip?

mezla

Postby mezla » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Ribz wrote:Also - what is a good average speed for up to a 40-50km trip?
Whatever speed leaves you knackered, but not too knackered :P

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Ribz wrote:somehow ended up with headwind the entire trip :cry:
Cyclists own brand of Murphy's law........ happens to the best of us.......... :D
Ribz wrote:Also - what is a good average speed for up to a 40-50km trip?
Answer is..... it depends. Dependant upon the gradient of the terrain, the amount of wind assist/wind disadvantage, traffic conditions etc and is very dependant upon your level of fitness and experience/technique and the nutrition / hydration you apply to your body.........

mezla's answer was very good, you want to feel like you've realy worked out but the key is how fast you recover from the exertion.

I can consistantly cover 40km+ of hill and dale country road riding (no traffic or stop lights etc) at averages of 30km/hr but it's taken me three years on a road bike and 18 months on an MTB before that to get some semblance of fitness.

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Have you got an I phone, android phone of a garmin edge. If so You can use Strava.com to compare your ride with others. see how others are going and build to getting better on rides
Merida Scultura 905 2013

kodakmomentz

Postby kodakmomentz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:00 am

redcorpsjames wrote:Have you got an I phone, android phone of a garmin edge. If so You can use Strava.com to compare your ride with others. see how others are going and build to getting better on rides
I happened to have a look at this thread and saw Strava. Looks awesome, going to road test it in the morning :)

Ribz

Postby Ribz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:16 pm

I was looking at them CELL bibs.

http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Bib-Sh ... gory=37911

How do the sizes work. I was going to just get 1 pair online. I tried a few in the shops (other brands) and they all vary so much in size and fit. I believe my hips (at the bony parts) are 32 inches around. Chest is 39 inches. Height is 177cm or so.

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Ribz wrote:How do the sizes work. I was going to just get 1 pair online. I tried a few in the shops (other brands) and they all vary so much in size and fit. I believe my hips (at the bony parts) are 32 inches around. Chest is 39 inches. Height is 177cm or so.
Don't take this as Gospel but I'd say you are just on the upper limit of size 'M' given these measurments but as you say sizing can vary. I'm 180cm 32 inch waist and weigh 75kgs and I fit well into a UNO Ghia Supreme bibknick size 'M' but I also fit into Assos S5 Mille bibknicks in a size 'L'

If Cell offer a return for mis-sizing then by all means.........

But I think solid advice is to not skimp on knicks - for me they are a deal breaker........

fringe_dweller

Postby fringe_dweller » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:45 pm

open roader wrote: But I think solid advice is to not skimp on knicks - for me they are a deal breaker........
+1. Probably overkill for you at this point but after getting a pair of Assos bibs I hate it when I have to wear my other knicks for anything more than 40km.

Grant

vander

Postby vander » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:03 pm

fringe_dweller wrote:
open roader wrote: But I think solid advice is to not skimp on knicks - for me they are a deal breaker........
+1. Probably overkill for you at this point but after getting a pair of Assos bibs I hate it when I have to wear my other knicks for anything more than 40km.

Grant
I have ridden on Cell Knicks for over 100km up to 150km many times and they are fine. My other pair are skins (not sure how good they are) but I cant really tell much difference except the Cell Knicks are wearing a lot quicker due to what I presume is worse material, however for $40 you can afford to go through a few.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 pm

Ditto on the cell bib knicks, get bib always, and I've done a 130km in them no issues.

Eventually I'll get more fancy pants but for your needs, and mine, cell are fine.

I went for large, given I generally wear large and hey presto they fit very well.

Cheers,
JM

Ribz

Postby Ribz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Just tried the local 6.4km route. 15 mins on the dot.
3 medium hills and the big hill to my house.
MADE IT UP MY OWN HILL THIS TIME! and now I am totally ruined.
But good fun! That hill is hard!!! 400 meters are 18%.
Cell bib should be here tomorrow!

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:56 pm

I have done 90km rides, they are great for the price. I sometimes race in them as well
Merida Scultura 905 2013

Ribz

Postby Ribz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Large sized bib arrive today. Perfect fit. The only bit slightly larger than me is the bottom leg band which is maybe 10mm too big. BUT my legs should gain that size shortly to fill it out! Great fit actually.

vander

Postby vander » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Ribz wrote:Large sized bib arrive today. Perfect fit. The only bit slightly larger than me is the bottom leg band which is maybe 10mm too big. BUT my legs should gain that size shortly to fill it out! Great fit actually.
I had a similar problem despite having big legs the elastic wears pretty quick also. My other bibs are if anything a bit tight these were a bit loose.

GrantMD

Postby GrantMD » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:02 am

I've also got the Giant Defy 1. I've only been backing riding for the past few months but I believe it is a perfect entry level bike. Once all my bits got used to riding, its been good fun. And living on Sydneys Northern Beaches, there are so many places to ride

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:45 pm

I don't understand this passion for bib knicks. I have absolutely no issues with garden variety short knicks and I can tuck stuff down the waste if I'm not wearing a jersey with pockets. They are comfy, cheap, handy, light, and easy to pee from.
judged, insulted, gone

Ribz

Postby Ribz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:33 pm

I will be testing out the Bibs this arvo. Been really hot last few days.
Probably only a 10km ride - but I will go out guns blazing see how I feel at the end!

notwal

Postby notwal » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

notwal wrote:I don't understand this passion for bib knicks. I have absolutely no issues with garden variety short knicks and I can tuck stuff down the waist if I'm not wearing a jersey with pockets. They are comfy, cheap, handy, light, and easy to pee from.
Bloody spelling errors! Where's Commurider when you need her?

Hey Mods, how about dropping this silly restriction on editing of posts after 24 hours. It is effing irksome.
judged, insulted, gone

Ribz

Postby Ribz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Haha notwal! Nice one.
Well havnt been for a ride in 4 days - way way way too hot in the arvo.
I might try a morning ride!