BUPA challenge ride

BUPA challenge ride

Postby msg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Well there is no going back now. Today I booked and paid for the 138km ride, doing it with my brother and sister inlaw. Both of them are very good riders and owners of KD Cycles in Perth, my only hope is that I dont hold them up too much. But who else is going to do the whole ride this year?
msg
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 am

by BNA » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:55 pm

BNA
 

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:55 pm

I can't, got to work :cry:

But I have Thursday off so will ride to the KOM point at Sellicks and them home through the hills instead. :D
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:32 pm

I'll be riding every day of the tour except the BUPA ride. I've volunteered to be a domestique for the day and drive a ute full of tired riders and their bikes back to Adelaide.
I might stick my bike in the ute and ride around the Barossa, or I may just stop off en route and take some photos at various points.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby Enricopalazzo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Yep doing it, aiming for a sub 4 hour time.
Enricopalazzo
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Enricopalazzo wrote:Yep doing it, aiming for a sub 4 hour time.

One of the reasons I'm not doing it is because many riders who think a community ride on public roads with a host of inexperienced riders is a race.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:04 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote: One of the reasons I'm not doing it is because many riders who think a community ride on public roads with a host of inexperienced riders is a race.



+1
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3354
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby peter42 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:30 pm

A community ride with a host of inexperienced riders? That's me. I'm starting from Gumeracha, just aiming to finish :D
peter42
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:26 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:47 am

rustychisel wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote: One of the reasons I'm not doing it is because many riders who think a community ride on public roads with a host of inexperienced riders is a race.



+1


+2
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6825
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby liamb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:54 am

+3
But man the long range forecast is predicting 36!!!! thats my limit! hope it gets cooler not hotter

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!
User avatar
liamb
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Modbury SA

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby Enricopalazzo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:03 am

Errr I can ride at whatever pace I want.

What's the difference of riding at an avg 33kph compared to the majority who will ride at 25kph? Not much...
Enricopalazzo
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby MikeyD360 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:17 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:
Enricopalazzo wrote:Yep doing it, aiming for a sub 4 hour time.

One of the reasons I'm not doing it is because many riders who think a community ride on public roads with a host of inexperienced riders is a race.


Thats a pretty poor attitude - whats with people always seeking to degrade non-professional cyclists who want to push their limits?
You nominate your average speed on signup and I am pretty sure that after the first 10km anyone who is treating the ride as a test of their endurance and speed will have long left behind those who are just in it for fun and the satisfaction of finishing.
Image
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid
MikeyD360
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:56 am

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:37 pm

MikeyD360 wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote:
Enricopalazzo wrote:Yep doing it, aiming for a sub 4 hour time.

One of the reasons I'm not doing it is because many riders who think a community ride on public roads with a host of inexperienced riders is a race.


Thats a pretty poor attitude - whats with people always seeking to degrade non-professional cyclists who want to push their limits?
You nominate your average speed on signup and I am pretty sure that after the first 10km anyone who is treating the ride as a test of their endurance and speed will have long left behind those who are just in it for fun and the satisfaction of finishing.


If people want to push their limits that fine, I do it most of the time, The BUPA ride, IMO is not the place to do it.
Slow riders won't be thinned out after 10kms, many start early to get a head start, many more ride the shorter distances so you will encounter them all along the route.
I always try and push my limits on Amy's Ride, Coast to Coast, RLC, Grand Slam etc where the number riders is considerably less and there are a lot fewer inexperienced riders lured by the chance to take part in this event.
I saw so much dodgy riding last year from wannabe racers and complete novices on the brand new Xmas bikes that I decided not to take part this year.
I doubt anyone could ride that course in 4 hours with 5500+ riders without overtaking on the wrong side of the road, ridIng 3 and 4 abreast at times, getting into a paceline and disregarding those around them. That was my experience last year and one I've heard echoed many times since.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby Enricopalazzo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:19 pm

See I disagree with you, I did Amy ride and others that you have mentioned and I found them to be more dangerous as these rides are still on open roads, except for the express way and willunga climb, so there is less room to avoid slow, weaving riders. At least with bupa tdu, it is completely closed meaning double the room then normal to hopefully avoid danger.

I also race on an open level, so I think I am experienced enough to know if I am putting myself in danger or others when riding on the road, me and a few friends are treating this ride just like any other training rides we do, we are not out there to race or anything like that, I just want to push myself like I do everyday I ride!

I'm racing tomorrow at lightsview, now that is dangerous especially if it rains...
Enricopalazzo
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Enrico - BUPA ride is not fully closed. Never has been.

Problem for me is too many idiots that can't obey road rules, to many experienced riders that should know better, and too many riders to start with.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6825
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Enricopalazzo wrote:See I disagree with you, I did Amy ride and others that you have mentioned and I found them to be more dangerous as these rides are still on open roads, except for the express way and willunga climb, so there is less room to avoid slow, weaving riders. At least with bupa tdu, it is completely closed meaning double the room then normal to hopefully avoid danger.

I also race on an open level, so I think I am experienced enough to know if I am putting myself in danger or others when riding on the road, me and a few friends are treating this ride just like any other training rides we do, we are not out there to race or anything like that, I just want to push myself like I do everyday I ride!

I'm racing tomorrow at lightsview, now that is dangerous especially if it rains...


My comments were not particularly aimed at you. if you are racing at open level then that pace won't be a problem for you and I'm sure your bike handling skills are very good (if you re racing at Lightsview, they must be) it''s the hundreds of wannabee racers, maybe riders like me, who don't know when to exercise caution and whos ambition/ego outweighs their ability.
As MicahelB said, the the road aren't closed for the community ride, I personally reckon they should be.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby Apple » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:Enrico - BUPA ride is not fully closed. Never has been.

Problem for me is too many idiots that can't obey road rules, to many experienced riders that should know better, and too many riders to start with.

So are you riding, I am coming from sydney, can I sit on you wheel Please. I am new in :wink: town
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby feral grasshopper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Apple wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Enrico - BUPA ride is not fully closed. Never has been.

Problem for me is too many idiots that can't obey road rules, to many experienced riders that should know better, and too many riders to start with.

So are you riding, I am coming from sydney, can I sit on you wheel Please. I am new in :wink: town


If he sez yes, can I get on Your wheel plz Apple? 8)
User avatar
feral grasshopper
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby DAVCLARE » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Looking forward to the ride .
Hope the temps over there change .
Would you like some cooler WA weather !!!1

David
:mrgreen:
Trek Madone 5.2 2013
[img]http://veloviewer is broken/athlete/1996676//[img]
DAVCLARE
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:55 am
Location: Stratton , Perth

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Apple wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Enrico - BUPA ride is not fully closed. Never has been.

Problem for me is too many idiots that can't obey road rules, to many experienced riders that should know better, and too many riders to start with.

So are you riding, I am coming from sydney, can I sit on you wheel Please. I am new in :wink: town


Nope. Not any more. Too many people.

I do the Ride Like Crazy instead. Money actually goes to a good cause. 100% of it.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6825
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby Apple » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Apple wrote:Nope. Not any more. Too many people.

I do the Ride Like Crazy instead. Money actually goes to a good cause. 100% of it.

So Nope any more doing the riding or Nope anymore for letting a damsel in distress hang back off your wheel :mrgreen:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:07 pm

When do you arrive in Adelaide, Apple?
This ride sounds like it could be fun.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby Apple » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:57 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:When do you arrive in Adelaide, Apple?
This ride sounds like it could be fun.

Hello, you cannot be sirrus 8) , I arrive on the Thursday, for the Friday ride. I only just booked it.
But next year I will be slimmer, stronger one year older and more motivated, I hope to stay for almost a week. :twisted:
I was booked to do this 2 years ago, but a disc injury occurred and ended up having surgery :(
So I am very excited to be going this year.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 am

Apple wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Apple wrote:Nope. Not any more. Too many people.

I do the Ride Like Crazy instead. Money actually goes to a good cause. 100% of it.

So Nope any more doing the riding or Nope anymore for letting a damsel in distress hang back off your wheel :mrgreen:


Nope to doing the BUPA ride. More than happy to tow people along as long as they do their share, have a laugh and conversation.

Hope you have a great and safe ride :D
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6825
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:08 am

MichaelB wrote:Nope to doing the BUPA ride. More than happy to tow people along as long as they do their share, have a laugh and conversation.

Hope you have a great and safe ride :D

Well the laugh is my game. I do conversations and also do my share. :D
maybe next year. :P
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby mmhbeer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:20 pm

On last years tdu ride I ended up in the middle of a pack of pro looking ladies going up a hill. They were all wearing jerseys advertising a Victorian bike shop and told me to drop out of their bunch. They hadn't paid to do the ride and were treating it like its a race.

I dropped back and heard them abuse other riders. I passed them on a downhill stretch and when they caught me again they were told me again to get out of their way. I let loose at them and asked if your so pro why are you so far back? Even a fat rider like me is keeping up.

I rang the shop the next day and had a word.
mmhbeer
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: Adelaide

Next

Return to South Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit