Grease - the lubricant not the movie :)

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm building up a frame I got off ebay and need some grease to install the headset, BB, etc. From a quick look at bike shop websites like Cell, it appears bike specific grease is insanely expensive... Wouldn't any old waterproof grease that I can pick up from repco or supercheap for a tenth the price do the job? Or is there some special Unobtanium additive in bike grease that stops my bike from spontaneously combusting :lol:

gururug

Re: Grease - the lubricant not the movie :)

Postby gururug » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:08 pm

rtnicho

Postby rtnicho » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:16 pm

+ 1 for the Castrol boating grease. Been using it for years.

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks guys. $11.00 for 500g at supercheap, which should be a lifetime supply. $91.00 at my LBS for 500g of Shimano grease. No brainer... :lol:

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Johndec wrote:Thanks guys. $11.00 for 500g at supercheap, which should be a lifetime supply. $91.00 at my LBS for 500g of Shimano grease. No brainer... :lol:
But the Shizmano stuff contains special energy polarising agents that'll align your bearings with the spiritual energy of the universe.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:54 pm

depending on where you are in syd, im on a mission to get some marine grease for my speedplays... thats several lifetimes worth for me so id be happy to give you some money to take some off your hands!
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Good :D we have the great grease ripoff sorted :D

Now for chain lube, and so help me god, if anyone pops up here with their newest beautist fancy pancy LBS lube, I will find out where you live, and.............................

My 5 litres of "who gives a stuff" brand engine oil from anywhere, of any grade, has been lubing my chains for years; only about 500 years supply left........

.......and we talk about those conmen from Delhi !

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:57 pm

rkelsen wrote:But the Shizmano stuff contains special energy polarising agents that'll align your bearings with the spiritual energy of the universe.

Mr Shizmano is 30 years behind the times. Remember, Peter Brock had the polarising business done and dusted in the 80's.

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Schmenz wrote:depending on where you are in syd, im on a mission to get some marine grease for my speedplays... thats several lifetimes worth for me so id be happy to give you some money to take some off your hands!
I'm in Sans Souci. When I get some I'll PM you and leave a jar out the front. Don't want anything for it. Call it a "pass it on" favour.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:22 pm

I have both sides of the Shimano thing...I have Shimano fishing gear as well! Some of the 'proper' reel grease looks and feels identical to Yamalube marine grease, which is my version of the Castrol stuff above, used for both hobbies.

But as for chain lube, motor oil does tend to retain grit flicked up onto the chain, whereas some of the thinner chain lubes don't. Mind you, I reckon the motor oil would probably make the chain last longer. I have only just started trying chain lube, though....I've always used oil.
Last edited by Stuey on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:25 pm

master6 wrote:Mr Shizmano is 30 years behind the times. Remember, Peter Brock had the polarising business done and dusted in the 80's.
Oh, it's far from "done and dusted"... Check the specs on this: http://www.hdt.com.au/retro_vlve_sedan.htm :lol:

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Johndec wrote:
Schmenz wrote:depending on where you are in syd, im on a mission to get some marine grease for my speedplays... thats several lifetimes worth for me so id be happy to give you some money to take some off your hands!
I'm in Sans Souci. When I get some I'll PM you and leave a jar out the front. Don't want anything for it. Call it a "pass it on" favour.

that would be fabulous!

thank you!
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

simonn

Postby simonn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Oxford wrote:Image is the word.
That's the one that you want.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:02 pm

simonn wrote:
Oxford wrote:Image is the word.
That's the one that you want.
On these summer nights.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:32 am

Should just add that the reason for choosing marine grade grease is for its water resistance properties, one that most likely to be encountered in the regular service life of a bike. Otherwise there can be viscosity variations, one that may affect the very elite athletes when used within hubs. For the rest, stay with motoring supplies is wise.

Chain oil is a completely different matter, a Holy War matter!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 am

Use a grease thats somewhat aligned to the purpose...

Metal on metal no moving parts - generally any old "heavy" grease will be ok, i typically use lithium
moving parts (bearings etc) - silicone grease thats lighter (i.e. fishing reel or waterproof bearing stuff), allows things to spin a lot more freely (hub bearings)
plastics/rubber - always use castor oil based, as petroleum based can attack the plastic

Generally its a choice of those three - thick/thin/plastics

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:27 am

I bought a 2kg container of molybdenum disulphide grease in about 1978, and I'm still using it, for everything.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.