BUPA challenge ride

Daccordi Rider

Re: BUPA challenge ride

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:25 pm

mmhbeer wrote:On last years tdu ride I ended up in the middle of a pack of pro looking ladies going up a hill. They were all wearing jerseys advertising a Victorian bike shop and told me to drop out of their bunch. They hadn't paid to do the ride and were treating it like its a race.

I dropped back and heard them abuse other riders. I passed them on a downhill stretch and when they caught me again they were told me again to get out of their way. I let loose at them and asked if your so pro why are you so far back? Even a fat rider like me is keeping up.

I rang the shop the next day and had a word.
That's why we should have a controlled border!
Certified Brand Snob

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Wow, so I shouldn’t have to pay, I could just turn up, right. I thought you had to wear the jersey :?
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Apple wrote:Wow, so I shouldn’t have to pay, I could just turn up, right. I thought you had to wear the jersey :?
Nope.

The only 'real' control is the food at the end, where you need to flash the wristband.

The above example from mmhbeer is one of the reasons I don't do the TdU anymore. Riders that should know better. Too many of them.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:49 pm

mmhbeer wrote:On last years tdu ride I ended up in the middle of a pack of pro looking ladies going up a hill. They were all wearing jerseys advertising a Victorian bike shop and told me to drop out of their bunch. They hadn't paid to do the ride and were treating it like its a race.

I dropped back and heard them abuse other riders. I passed them on a downhill stretch and when they caught me again they were told me again to get out of their way. I let loose at them and asked if your so pro why are you so far back? Even a fat rider like me is keeping up.

I rang the shop the next day and had a word.
Well done !! :D

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:50 pm

MichaelB wrote:Nope.

The only 'real' control is the food at the end, where you need to flash the wristband.

The above example from mmhbeer is one of the reasons I don't do the TdU anymore. Riders that should know better. Too many of them.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
So they feed you. if you have the wristband?. I really don't want to wear the jersey, I want to wear my own one. :D
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

mmhbeer

Postby mmhbeer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Just rock up and ride it. Theres a fair few that do. Work paid for my entry but if they didnt I wouldnt pay to do it. Wear whatever you are comfortable wearing.

On the other hand I wouldn't rock up and do Ride Like Crazy without paying as I would be ripping off a charity.

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:21 pm

mmhbeer wrote:Just rock up and ride it. Theres a fair few that do. Work paid for my entry but if they didnt I wouldnt pay to do it. Wear whatever you are comfortable wearing.

On the other hand I wouldn't rock up and do Ride Like Crazy without paying as I would be ripping off a charity.
You are a bad person :twisted: I always pay. Because I can 8)

newie

Postby newie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:26 pm

When I did the ATB in Melbourne this year, I bypassed the official start and hopped on the route a couple ks ahead, to avoid the crowds and delays at the start. Is this a good idea for this ride as well? I am not keen to wait around for ages before I roll off. Perhaps it is not so considerate seeing a lot of faster people will have to pass me. But I am a sole rider and keep well left, so I don't think it is a major inconvenience. Any thoughts on whether this is bad form, not allowed or not necessary? Looking forward to it!

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:18 pm

newie wrote:When I did the ATB in Melbourne this year, I bypassed the official start and hopped on the route a couple ks ahead, to avoid the crowds and delays at the start. Is this a good idea for this ride as well? I am not keen to wait around for ages before I roll off. Perhaps it is not so considerate seeing a lot of faster people will have to pass me. But I am a sole rider and keep well left, so I don't think it is a major inconvenience. Any thoughts on whether this is bad form, not allowed or not necessary? Looking forward to it!
My riding buddy does that evry year, i rode with him last year, we left about 30 minutes early and there were hundreds doing the same thing. The faster riders will just ride past you. IMO leaving early is a very good idea.

newie

Postby newie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 pm

My riding buddy does that evry year, i rode with him last year, we left about 30 minutes early and there were hundreds doing the same thing. The faster riders will just ride past you. IMO leaving early is a very good idea.[/quote]

Cool, thanks, I think I will do that then. It will give me less pressure to make it to Tanunda in plenty of time before the race comes through - I am no speed demon.

optoplex

Postby optoplex » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:51 pm

the only forseeable issue with riding ahead of the start is knowing the route to follow, not sure if it will be fully marshalled from norwood from the start?

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 pm

optoplex wrote:the only forseeable issue with riding ahead of the start is knowing the route to follow, not sure if it will be fully marshalled from norwood from the start?
There will be so many riders on it it will be hard to miss but a good idea to take a map of the stage.

Dr_Mutley

BUPA challenge ride

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:06 pm

If u have ok legs, leave an hour after the start... Nice quiet roads, alot safer, and no wnakers.. Roll in b4 the pros, watch the finish then ride home ;-)

I used to leave early, and last year tried leaving late, and found it a much more enjoyable ride...

Cycotic

Postby Cycotic » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:20 am

Dr_Mutley wrote: I used to leave early, and last year tried leaving late, and found it a much more enjoyable ride...
Excellent idea. It also means that you can sleep in and avoid the long wait for the start in the cold. And with the earlier start times for the shorter distances, most of those riders will be finished before you catch them.

It's promoted as "a challenge - not a race" and yet they make us queue up at the start line and fire a gun to start us all at once. No wonder many see it as a race. Why don't they just tell us to head off once we're scanned in and ready to go? After all, it's not like they time us or anything.

northboy

Postby northboy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Just wanted to post that did the ride this last week and the ride was extremely well organized with lots of good water, powerade and food at the relative stops.

Beautiful ride and had great weather.

Will be back for next year for sure.

DAVCLARE

Postby DAVCLARE » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Our group of riders had a good time as well . Lots of water and food if required . This is my third year coming to Adelaide and this challenge was the best and I will be back next year .

and the jersey is not a bad colour this year either .

Stay upright

David

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 pm

I did the ride, I have to say I found it packed and claustrophobic at the start. I used my bike like a scooter for the first km and my leg was sore from pushing off the road till we started.
Once we started about 5km into the ride this unsteady man decided to look behind him and turn his wheel onto me and he fell. I held him up with my left elbow till I passed and then he crashed onto my back wheel, I stopped up a head, he seemed fine. So many people who don't know how to keep their line.
The other thing that pissed me of where the heavier riders. They would take over the road down the hill and go down like a semi trailer out of control only to go at granny pace up the hills.
Otherwise the ride was fun and extremely well organised. I must say I was not keen on the crowds but it sure was worth the trip

MikeyD360

Postby MikeyD360 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Apple wrote: The other thing that pissed me of where the heavier riders. They would take over the road down the hill and go down like a semi trailer out of control only to go at granny pace up the hills.
Wow.. must have really ruined your day that some overweight person attempting a physical challenge had gravity on their side when descending, and had to put in 1000% more effort than everyone else to get up the hills... What an inconvenience... do us a favour and stay in Sydney next time... :x
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:24 am

I was trying to ride with no one this year as I came off last year. But it was bloody hard to do for the first half of the ride, it wasn't hilly enough to separate the field. There was just enough rolling hills to keep the field together.

Also I slowed down on the downhills to give myself a comfortable space between me and the rider in front, which meant that most of the riders i passed going up hill ended up in front of me at the next uphill bit.

Definitely consider starting 1/2 hour earlier like the stream of people i passed while riding to the start.

mmhbeer

Postby mmhbeer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:49 am

Apple wrote:I did the ride, I have to say I found it packed and claustrophobic at the start. I used my bike like a scooter for the first km and my leg was sore from pushing off the road till we started.
Once we started about 5km into the ride this unsteady man decided to look behind him and turn his wheel onto me and he fell. I held him up with my left elbow till I passed and then he crashed onto my back wheel, I stopped up a head, he seemed fine. So many people who don't know how to keep their line.
The other thing that pissed me of where the heavier riders. They would take over the road down the hill and go down like a semi trailer out of control only to go at granny pace up the hills.
Otherwise the ride was fun and extremely well organised. I must say I was not keen on the crowds but it sure was worth the trip
You must ride pretty slow if your stuck with all us fat people Apple.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 pm

mmhbeer wrote:[You must ride pretty slow if your stuck with all us fat people Apple.
No, I am big too. I just don't side swipe people on the way down. I have the courtesy to say, “on your right”. I like to be aware of others as there are 8000 riders there, Safety is important, but hey if you have lots of body fat and bounce on your way down, that’s good also. Just don't take others with you :P :mrgreen: