Advice: MTB shorts for an 8+ hour ride

member054

Advice: MTB shorts for an 8+ hour ride

Postby member054 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi guys,

I've signed up for the Alpine Classic and one item that's become apparent, is my current cycling shorts (Endura baggy shorts with detachable knicks) won't be suitable. They get uncomfortable around 2 hours into a ride and the problem appears to be the stitching 'sets' into my skin and I think eventually it'd cut or create welts.

I'm looking for some recommendations (brand/model) of MTB shorts with detachable inners of a high quality that riders can recommend for very long rides. I'm expecting to be in the saddle for 8-9. Price isn't a concern...

Thanks in advance!

Crittski

Re: Advice: MTB shorts for an 8+ hour ride

Postby Crittski » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 pm

I reckon bibknicks would be best, and if that aint gonna fly, then pop a lightweight short over the top, something with gentle seams!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:21 pm

I rode for 8.5 hours in a pair pf aerotech designs baggy shorts. Why does the inner need to detach?

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:28 pm

I really like the NZO dobies, which do away with inner problems by not having an inner, just a fleece pad. I've never ridden for 8 hours in them though.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Crittski wrote:I reckon bibknicks would be best, and if that aint gonna fly, then pop a lightweight short over the top, something with gentle seams!
+1 Most I've ever done on the MTB is about 5 or 6 hours.. but yeah, I do like the versatility of bibs - the same I use on the road - underneath a pair of Ground Effect Super tankers.

I'd suggest some chamois cream to. I did without it for a number of years, and thought I'd tack a cheap little ~$10 tub on a W!ggle order one day. Definitely worth it for the longer rides.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Giordana bibknicks and a liberal dose of chamois cream. If you must wrar baggies,go linerless and wrar them over the top. My Giordanas have the advantahe of being a compression fit. :D

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:24 pm

member054 wrote:I'm looking for some recommendations (brand/model) of MTB shorts with detachable inners of a high quality that riders can recommend for very long rides. I'm expecting to be in the saddle for 8-9. Price isn't a concern...
I reckon skip the detachable inner requirement and get into a quality pair of knicks. Spend the cash and you'll have them for years. Nobody at the Alpine Classic will care if you're in lycra.

I used a bunch of pairs of peral izumi and assos shorts in the simpson desert challenge and on some stages wore two pairs for the added padding and to limit the movement of fabric over skin relative to the saddle. Before you do this though make sure that you can ride with two pairs. In training it would take six hour plus rides for me to get the combination right. For what it's worth the shorts were all the pro models and some pi pro-in-r-cool. The in-r-cool stuff works well in the heat.

Hope it helps.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:44 pm

trailgumby wrote:Giordana bibknicks and a liberal dose of chamois cream. If you must wrar baggies,go linerless and wrar them over the top. My Giordanas have the advantahe of being a compression fit. :D
the supertankers I refrerenced previously are liner-less and a great general-duty casual short as well. I figure this combo doesn't make either garment discipline specific. I even commute in the Supertankers... had 'em a about a year and they're showing no signs of wear with very regular use.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:47 am

I strongly endorse Happy Humber's recommendation. Bib knicks and shorts. Or even just bib knicks if you can handle it - the new Ground Effect knicks look pretty flash
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:Or even just bib knicks if you can handle it - the new Ground Effect knicks look pretty flash
Review by yours truly to follow in the near future, I hope.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 am

why would you wear MTB shorts on a long distance road ride?

i have the opposite dilemma. i've signed up for the Otway Odyssey (100km). i've only ever ridden MTB casually so i'm not really part of the scene. i've heard bad things about turning up to an MTB event in roadie-style lycra - is it true?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:27 am

jules21 wrote:i have the opposite dilemma. i've signed up for the Otway Odyssey (100km). i've only ever ridden MTB casually so i'm not really part of the scene. i've heard bad things about turning up to an MTB event in roadie-style lycra - is it true?
I note that MTB pros wear bib-nicks or performance lycra skinsuits in UCI MTB races. Just tell them you are a pro! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:29 am

sogood wrote:I note that MTB pros wear bib-nicks or performance lycra skinsuits in UCI MTB races. Just tell them you are a pro! :mrgreen:
yes i've seen them wear that, but i'm a bit paranoid that my cover might get blown for some reason :oops:

member054

Postby member054 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks for all the replies - I believe I'll get some bibknicks...

My preference towards shorts was vanity (I wouldn't wear Speedo's either!) and having pockets is handy, but for a big ride I'm happy to compromise. My riding is 16km (to work) and 32km (scenic ride home) and shorts were fine for that.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:53 am

Why are people so conscious about what they wear? I wear speedos because I can't stand swimming in baggy shorts and they dry quicker. I wear lycra on the road bike and MTB because it's comfortable. Who cares what you look like, vanity shorts add unnecessary weight. :P

skull

Postby skull » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm

jules21 wrote:why would you wear MTB shorts on a long distance road ride?

i have the opposite dilemma. i've signed up for the Otway Odyssey (100km). i've only ever ridden MTB casually so i'm not really part of the scene. i've heard bad things about turning up to an MTB event in roadie-style lycra - is it true?

No, I only ever wear bib nicks on the bike. At all the xcountry races and events I have been to all the riders are pretty much wearing bib nicks and jerseys. In fact I cannot even recall seeing any baggy pants riders.

member054

Postby member054 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:45 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Why are people so conscious about what they wear?
Public responsibility? There are enough crimes against society riding around without me adding to it :lol:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:48 pm

If I wore lycra I would look like the guy in Jules21's avatar :D

People don't need to see that.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:50 pm

they made lycra stretchy for a reason. :wink:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:18 am

DaveOZ wrote:they made lycra stretchy for a reason. :wink:

...to follow every one of my curvaceous curves and bulbous bulges. And I revel in it!!

The only crime one can commit in lycra is the Sin of the Worn Out Arse. Display of your bum crack through the worn down lycra (especially white knicks) to those behind you whilst hunched over in the group is something to be...avoided.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

velocirapt

Postby velocirapt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Just bought one of the Cell bikes (2nd generation) MTB shorts-Very happy so far , double layer ,well padded gusset seem very comfortable so far with plenty zip pockets but only had a 3 hr ride in. Cheap at around 35 bucks so worth a try. I'd use some of that dry silicon roll- on they market at Tri and bike events as well

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Oakley make some nice mtb shorts, $$$ though!, worth a look?

i.e. http://www.altrec.com/oakley/mens-echo- ... bike-short

Even then though, for Audax, the rubbing on the back of your leg would probably chaffe after 2+hrs, LOL, so yeah, bibs are probably best.

member054

Postby member054 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:44 pm

I thought I'd post back with how my ride went...

I bought some butt cream and stayed with my knicks-shorts combo. The cream helped quite a lot but after about 5 hours and due to the heat, I needed more. Sadly our route didn't take us past the car so I suffered in the final few hours... next time I'll take a little container for reapplying during the ride.

I got a few funny comments about undertaking 200km on a mountain bike (fat slicks) but was there was plenty of jealousy over my gearing... hehe. Starting to consider the 3-Peaks now... :shock:

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Congratulations, very jealous!