Adelaide snobs?

TheBrewer

Adelaide snobs?

Postby TheBrewer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Let me say in the few months I've been here in Adelaide I have thoroughly enjoyed getting around this city. I've run up near enough to 1500k's in a couple of months and have investigated most of the bike paths along the Torrens, the tram line and a few train lines around the place. This has also meant I've found myself extremely lost a few times and in one case some 30k's from home with no water, no money (my own fault) and a big ole black cloud and a 40k southerly staring me in the face. Barring one excursion off the track heading from the city to the outlet along the Torrens where some stray foliage and a large rat (I think it was someones pet) saw me about 6 feet from becoming submerged in some pretty dodgy water it's been without incident. Even the vast majority of drivers seem reasonably bike aware.

I've been fortunate enough to meet a couple of really nice guys around the place and on some reasonably ordinary days we've been able to work together into some head winds etc. A few guys I've come across along the Bay to Outer Harbor route have been fantastic too. It can be a little confusing but got it sussed now.

My question/ statement though has me a little on tilt. Is there an element of Adelaide cyclists that we can call "snobs"?

For now I'm out on a Flat Bar Road bike. I left my old bike at home and as yet haven't had the resources or for now the will to sink some money into another ride. I'm giving up a couple of k's an hour in favor of comfort and versatility while I get to know Adelaide. Does that mean I should be excluded from normal courtesy?

Just this morning heading up Magill Rd I'm at the corner of Portrush I think it was, there's a guy just pulled up at the lights, I pull up on his flank, I didn't say anything but his head turned, I shot him a "good morning" he looks me up and down gives a little chuckle and is done. Was it that my knicks didn't match my jersey? my helmet was white? my shoes black?........nah, I'm on the wrong machinery.

A fortnight ago I'm heading back to the city up Anzac late Sunday arvo, I've left the lights at Tapleys Hill behind a guy and ironically he missed his clip and then I missed mine avoiding him so there was a little mayhem for 3 seconds but half way to the school there I've called "on your right mate" to pass him since there was a bit of traffic around and immediately he's up out of the saddle to accelerate to stop me from passing him.

I'm really hoping this is just a small element of guys. Oddly anyone in a group or out with others have seemed to be great and more than willing to say hi but a few lone rangers have left a bit of a bitter taste.

Next step a quick service and then I'm off to play in the hills 8)

trailgumby

Re: Adelaide snobs?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Sounds like the usual perentage of tools in the general population. So you'l find them on bikes, too. And in other cities. There's plenty of them here. For some reason they seem to like Turramurra Cyclery jerseys and hunting in packs around Akuna Bay.

You should see the funny stares I get from roadies on my 700c road slick equipped mountain bike with the single fork leg. The best revenge is passing them on the climbs. Will be a few months before I can do that again, though. :oops:

liamb

Postby liamb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:33 pm

I get that from time to time here and have got it in Vic and NSW. As they say Cycling is the new Golf and its all about the people measuring their willy size with how much they spent on what gear. I have found there are groups around that are just plain rude if you dont meet their "high" standards but in general there are massive numbers who are just keen to see guys and girls out on bikes. I now steer clear of the groups with expensive bikes and matching kits that advertise realestate, banks, etc because they tend to be the worst. I dont ride a fixie or a flat bar and do have a carbon road bike but I always give a nod and a hi or hello no matter what bike and gear you are on bacause I like to be polite and like seeing people out on 2 wheels.
Brewer I hope its only an isolated thing because SA seems to be the more friendly of states that I have lived in and I tend to be very SA proud, but there will always be bad apples no matter what you do.
Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

TheBrewer

Postby TheBrewer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Yeah true........I've got no doubt it's a very small element of people

The $799 retail whizzing past gets a few looks. Shame the gearing pretty much dies at about 43-44k's.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:57 pm

yeah, some. Clock monkey's ain't they?

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:19 pm

I rode my flat bar for a while when I crashed my old bike, the nods and waves stopped for a while, mysteriously re-appeared when I bought the new "proper" bike.

TheBrewer

Postby TheBrewer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I did like the comment just after Christmas, was stopped on Anzac highway and a nice enough guy pulled up next to me.

He asks, "where you headed?"

"Glenelg then Outer Harbor and back to the city"

This floored me, but made me chuckle for about an hour.

"next time, bring your kids BMX"

I know he didn't mean it harshly, we traded smiles down to the bay.........

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Come to Tasmania; almost all cyclists here are friendly and courteous. Shortly after my arrival here in 2007, I mentioned this observation to one of my newfound riding friends. His response was "Yes, thats because we are all related :) ".

Related or not, they have my admiration.

zephy

Postby zephy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:50 pm

TheBrewer wrote: My question/ statement though has me a little on tilt. Is there an element of Adelaide cyclists that we can call "snobs"?
we call it the "wank" factor.... as someone else pointed it out it happens in life generally, cycling is no different.... my theory is it costs nothing to smile, say g'day and have a bit of a chat.... but, each to their own I guess....
Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

alex

Postby alex » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:15 pm

adelaide in summer is just full of fat idiots with expensive bikes who ride for 4 weeks a year

and you will get RSI in your hand if you wave to everyone riding along military road on the weekend in summer

get away from the beaches and into the hills and you will probably find people a lot more pleasant
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:51 pm

I live in the hills and shout hello with a demented wide-eyed grin whenever I see another cyclist up here. Some people do ignore me but I think it's because they're worried for their own safety.

I can't talk for the plain so much but when I'm down there driving my car I often chuckle when I see the gangs of matching skin-tight advertisements with faces like half-sucked lemons :)

arkle :)
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

bracko

Postby bracko » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:43 pm

I hate wearing proper knicks, but do on longer weekend rides... commuting i wear the integrated "baggy" (i.e. not skin tight) shorts with knicks underneath.

I generally give a one hand flick and a nod when i pass people (as i did in sydney) and have noticed that barely anyone returns the favour when I'm in baggy shorts, probably 50% when going for a saturday morning ride. I'll accept that saturday morning riders are generally friendlier because they're not riding to work, but how hard is it to be polite.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:45 pm

bracko wrote:I hate wearing proper knicks, but do on longer weekend rides... commuting i wear the integrated "baggy" (i.e. not skin tight) shorts with knicks underneath.

I generally give a one hand flick and a nod when i pass people (as i did in sydney) and have noticed that barely anyone returns the favour when I'm in baggy shorts, probably 50% when going for a saturday morning ride. I'll accept that saturday morning riders are generally friendlier because they're not riding to work, but how hard is it to be polite.
If you hate wearing knicks, why do you wear them under shorts?

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:09 am

I confess to doing the same thing. I wear full half-leg bib knicks but I always wear shorts and a t-shirt over the top so you'd never know I had them on. Bib knicks on their own look a bit circus-strongmanesque to me, if you know what I mean. And also in the hills it can be 2C when I'm riding in the winter mornings. This morning it's 12C. Lovely stuff :)

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:18 am

arkle wrote:I confess to doing the same thing. I wear full half-leg bib knicks but I always wear shorts and a t-shirt over the top so you'd never know I had them on. Bib knicks on their own look a bit circus-strongmanesque to me, if you know what I mean. And also in the hills it can be 2C when I'm riding in the winter mornings. This morning it's 12C. Lovely stuff :)

arkle
arkle, If you'v'e got it, FLAUNT IT. WE blokes love it :D :D

(you are a girl? :D )

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 am

trailgumby wrote:For some reason they seem to like Turramurra Cyclery jerseys and hunting in packs around Akuna Bay.
Ah yes, the Turramurra Cyclery Regiment.

robbie d

Postby robbie d » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:40 pm

I've seen quite a few about. I'll say hi to anyone on two wheels (human powered), even the older gents collecting cans on their 70's steelies. My bike is from the not-so-european brand (Merida) so it tends not to stand out so much (though apparently they design them in Germany).

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:44 pm

what about fixed gear riders, Rob? Do we get the nod of appreciation from you? :wink:

bracko

Postby bracko » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:40 pm

master6 wrote: If you hate wearing knicks, why do you wear them under shorts?

sorry, slight rewording... I don't "hate" wearing them, I just "hate" wearing them while walking through the office after riding to work. I cop enough from the girls in the office without them seeing me in knicks :oops: :lol:

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

bracko wrote:
master6 wrote: If you hate wearing knicks, why do you wear them under shorts?

sorry, slight rewording... I don't "hate" wearing them, I just "hate" wearing them while walking through the office after riding to work. I cop enough from the girls in the office without them seeing me in knicks :oops: :lol:
so the phrase "Want some of this - phwoaorrr!" would not be well received?? :twisted:

robbie d

Postby robbie d » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:57 pm

rustychisel wrote:what about fixed gear riders, Rob? Do we get the nod of appreciation from you? :wink:
well of course, especially since that first 'tour de Adelaide' I did with you on your fixie and me barely making it up the pimples of hills with 20 gears to use. It would be a little bit stupid of me to say I hate fixies since I ride track too ;)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:01 pm

I doubt that anyone would disagree with the premise of this thread. They/we are all a little too proud of them/ourselves from time to time. I was likely a little bit myself when I rode a "proper" bike.

No-one looks down on me. That's how it is when your bottom bracket sits 13 inches off the ground. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Adsso

Postby Adsso » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:23 pm

I have had many of the same things happen to myself, I like to get on the road on a weekend basis and go for about 100km I guess you can call me a weekend basher I don't mind but in saying that I don't wear the get up shirts or pants like alot of the people I see and alot of groups that I see riding around the streets.

I have a pair of the shorts with the padding in them and I wear a pair of basketball shorts over them and also a basketball singlet and many many times on the street if I over take they don't like it and will make remarks at me or people just won't move if they look over there shoulder .. I put it down to them having the whole kit and Kaboodle and think they are better compared to Me who doesn't have everything on except my cleats and that is all they can see me wearing..

But it happened a few months ago when I was in Melbourne aswell oh well they aren't gonna stop me riding and enjoying myself

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:25 pm

I have experienced what the OP has as well.

I used to ride a Hybrid, and was just happy I was out and about seeing other riders. I would find most recreational riders would be happy to wave/nod/say hi back, but it was the more 'serious' style riders with their full kit, and 5k bikes who would look at you like you have 2 heads that would ignore you. Plain rude.

I have noticed this attitude in certain areas though. I live down south of Adelaide and 5 out of 10 people will acknowledge your greeting. Riding in areas like Burnside, Unley, Parkside, Norwood, North Adelaide, Glenelg, Goodwood and around those areas, most are complete and utter bike snobs unless you have a 7k-12k Pinnarello, DeRosa, Colnago or Bianchi with campy SR/Sram Red and Zipp 404s they won't give you the time of day. Of course this is a broad generalization based on the limited experience I have had.

That being said, I was speaking to a bike shop owner who said that it was usually white collar business owners and workers who had the cash to splash on big branded bikes that wanted the best of everything because their work colleagues had them. (bankers, architects, solicitors, investment advisers etc). Still that is no excuse to be rude or treat those who are less fortunate like second class citizens.

At the end of the day, I am just glad I am able to get out and ride when the opportunity arises, and I will always make the effort to say hi to those who do the same regardless of your on a $150 K-mart bike or a $25k titanium Passoni. Bike riding has become a passion, and a bike snobs poor attitude aint gonna stop me from enjoying what I do.

Now that I have a road bike, I haven't really noticed an improvement in courtesy or a better reaction from other riders. It's more a case of if they feel like returning the greeting they will, otherwise they may be completely out of breath and can't get a word out. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

PA

Postby PA » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:06 pm

You can't nod your head to every rider in Glenelg, you would look like a bobble headed dog in the back window of a Kingswood.

PS Hi
Mouse magnet