Bad eating habits witnessed

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby BarryTas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 pm

I have witnessed a lot of bad eating habits/choices made by people, generally (from my own observations) made by people who would be considered “overweight”
Here are a few that come to mind.

• after cooking the onions (about 2 onions) on the BBQ this person then placed the onions in a baking tray back on the BBQ along with and good fist size portion of butter into the tray

• an old flat mate would only ever drink soft drink “’cause it was fun”

• diet coke WT?

• an old work colleague had his KFC 3 piece feed for lunch everyday “’cause it was cheep” along with his large can of Mother

• putting salt on EVERYTHING


etc etc
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

by BNA » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 pm

BNA
 

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby BarryTas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Oh just remembered another one.

A friend works at the cardio unit at the hospital. A patient puts cream on his skippy flakes, yes cream


Please share your stories
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Sweeper59 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:45 pm

The other day, I watched a guy place a meat pie inside a bread roll and eat the lot for morning tea - washed down with a can of Mother.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!
User avatar
Sweeper59
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:37 pm
Location: Port Macquarie NSW

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 pm

A few favourites of mine from less aware/caring days gone by;

-11 sausages wrapped in white bread, 2 per slice, in one sitting, with tom. sauce
-corn flakes, full cream milk, honey and cream (regularly)
-"dinner" on the run, family block of chocolate and a litre carton of full cream milk
-"desert", 2 Eskimo Pies, 2 large packets of Smarties, combine/mash together
- 1 Kilo block of Chocolate in a sitting (once)
And it's only taken two years to get my cholesterol level down to a good level. God knows what the inside of my arteries look like.
The pie in a roll reminds me of regular school lunches; sausage roll in a white bread roll, with sauce and a chocolate BigM to wash it down.
User avatar
Tim
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby whitey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Today I had a coffee made with full cream milk after the ride :oops: :oops: :oops:
whitey
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 pm
Location: East Sydney

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Alternative school lunch order was a meat pie, cream bun and a frozen Sunny Boy (orange cordial in a Tetra Pack)
Beautiful.
User avatar
Tim
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Believe it or not I've never weighed more than 65 Kg's in my life. Think my liver might have got a bit fatty though.
Forgot to mention that school lunches were always followed by a couple of cigarettes in the paddock behind the footy field.
One more; chip sandwiches with sauce, either hot fried or packet crisps, always on white bread and plenty of salt.
Last edited by Tim on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tim
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Christmas time means one thing in my family: Crispelle. That's the closest recipe I could find. We don't have anchovies in ours.

Essentially, they're potatoes, flour and yeast mixed into a dough and then deep fried in olive oil. And I can never stop at 1 (or 2)... :lol:
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby vander » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Tim wrote:Believe it or not I've never weighed more than 65 Kg's in my life. Think my liver might have got a bit fatty though.
Forgot to mention that school lunches were always followed by a couple of cigarettes in the paddock behind the footy field.
One more; chip sandwiches with sauce, either hot fried or packet crisps, always on white bread and plenty of salt.


I love chip sandwiches with sauce and mayonaise oh and plenty of chicken salt!
Image
vander
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am
Location: North Strathfield, NSW

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby skull » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Today i ate 6 iced vovos in a row. Yes, 6. That is control if you ask me, usually it is a whole packet.
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1592
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Oxford » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 pm

rkelsen wrote:Christmas time means one thing in my family: Crispelle. That's the closest recipe I could find. We don't have anchovies in ours.

Essentially, they're potatoes, flour and yeast mixed into a dough and then deep fried in olive oil. And I can never stop at 1 (or 2)... :lol:

that looks absolutely delicious and I love anchovies. going to bookmark that and try it out this weekend.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford
 
Posts: 4506
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Parker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 pm

i had a skinny latte and a cookie (biscuit) today ....
Parker
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby doggatas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:19 pm

vander wrote:I love chip sandwiches with sauce and mayonaise oh and plenty of chicken salt!


I am hearing you!

Seriously though, a bag of Cadbury flake bites are hard to pass on.(yes the whole bag)
doggatas
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Sweeper59 wrote:The other day, I watched a guy place a meat pie inside a bread roll and eat the lot for morning tea - washed down with a can of Mother.


Haha thats fantastic, i want to give that a go :) .

In my very silly younger years, it wasn't strange for me to get a 1 ltr tub of Sara Lee ice cream and polish it off, my weight never budged because i was constantly on the go.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 5856
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Oxford wrote:that looks absolutely delicious and I love anchovies. going to bookmark that and try it out this weekend.

They are good. :mrgreen: My in-laws put anchovies in theirs, but I prefer them without. Try both though. If you were in Melbs, I'd be comin' over to help you eat them!
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby ft_critical » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Sat and Sun breakfast in the FT house, kids and Dad, new weetbix:

-Two weetbix softened with a dash of boiling water,
-Cover with wheatgerm,
-Add milk, everyone has their own, skimmed, full and Zymil,
-Cover with a dark brown sugar, the sticky stuff,
-Add a swirl of thickened cream, and
-Enjoy.

Yes I am a bad parent.
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: Slowing and Fattening :-)

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby nayfen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:45 pm

there is a t.v series called man vs food. my wife was watching it a few weeks ago and said have a look at this. i watched it for less than 5 mins and left the room feeling nausious. The host travels across the United States to explore the culture and unique "big food". one city in each episode and takes on food challenge he was atempting to eat a hamburger with mutiple beef patties, cheese bacon, lettuce tomato various sauces etc wedged between a krispy cream donut.also some Philly Cheesesteak Nachos, which is a bed of "tri-colored" tortilla chips topped with a mixture of philly steak, grilled peppers and onions, and a creamy Monterey Jack cheese sauce. i wouldn't feed that to a dead horse. Why are we FAT?
User avatar
nayfen
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby U2adam!!! » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:01 pm

nayfen wrote:there is a t.v series called man vs food. my wife was watching it a few weeks ago and said have a look at this. i watched it for less than 5 mins and left the room feeling nausious. The host travels across the United States to explore the culture and unique "big food". one city in each episode and takes on food challenge he was atempting to eat a hamburger with mutiple beef patties, cheese bacon, lettuce tomato various sauces etc wedged between a krispy cream donut.also some Philly Cheesesteak Nachos, which is a bed of "tri-colored" tortilla chips topped with a mixture of philly steak, grilled peppers and onions, and a creamy Monterey Jack cheese sauce. i wouldn't feed that to a dead horse. Why are we FAT?


I'm sure this show is on 7MATE and I urge everyone to watch it. It will put you off eating junk food/takeaway for life. I've only watched a few shows but the 'eating challenges' are quite horrendous made worse with the entire restaurant urging the host to continue eating. Not once was there anything vaguely resembling a salad being eaten by anyone on that show.

Tim
Image
User avatar
U2adam!!!
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Southern suburbs of Adelaide

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby marinmomma » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:07 pm

nayfen wrote:there is a t.v series called man vs food. my wife was watching it a few weeks ago and said have a look at this. i watched it for less than 5 mins and left the room feeling nausious. The host travels across the United States to explore the culture and unique "big food". one city in each episode and takes on food challenge he was atempting to eat a hamburger with mutiple beef patties, cheese bacon, lettuce tomato various sauces etc wedged between a krispy cream donut.also some Philly Cheesesteak Nachos, which is a bed of "tri-colored" tortilla chips topped with a mixture of philly steak, grilled peppers and onions, and a creamy Monterey Jack cheese sauce. i wouldn't feed that to a dead horse. Why are we FAT?



That show is disgusting, no wonder the Yanks are huge, but we Aussie's aren't much better!

Have you ever watched the line up outside of Sizzlers and noted the average size of the people?? 'Larger than average' is a kind way of describing it :roll:
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:10 pm

ft_critical wrote:Sat and Sun breakfast in the FT house, kids and Dad, new weetbix:

-Two weetbix softened with a dash of boiling water,
-Cover with wheatgerm,
-Add milk, everyone has their own, skimmed, full and Zymil,
-Cover with a dark brown sugar, the sticky stuff,
-Add a swirl of thickened cream, and
-Enjoy.

Yes I am a bad parent.


Only two? :shock: I go four but use only a little raw sugar.
I won't mention the hot Milo that the spoon stands up in :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25277
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:12 pm

My wife's best friend lives on diet coke... When she visits she goes though about 2-3 liters a day... No other liquids. Totally addicted to it!.

Apart from that... Well the French have some very strange eating habits... Jeez we even have rancid sausage in house... Hanging up cover in mould... My daughter loves it!....same goes for cheese and other meats.
The greener the Xmas ham the better!.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14068
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Schmenz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
ft_critical wrote:Sat and Sun breakfast in the FT house, kids and Dad, new weetbix:

-Two weetbix softened with a dash of boiling water,
-Cover with wheatgerm,
-Add milk, everyone has their own, skimmed, full and Zymil,
-Cover with a dark brown sugar, the sticky stuff,
-Add a swirl of thickened cream, and
-Enjoy.

Yes I am a bad parent.


Only two? :shock: I go four but use only a little raw sugar.
I won't mention the hot Milo that the spoon stands up in :oops:


i know a girl that eats 21 a day! skinny as a rake!
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com
User avatar
Schmenz
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Used to be seven as an active teenager.
Are you sure that's really sugar she sprinkles on them :?:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25277
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby Marx » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Weird, & when I was young (13yrs old) – mashed up Teddy Bear biccies in instant coffee (with milk) for breaky.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.
User avatar
Marx
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Kensington Melbourne Australia

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby BarryTas » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:37 am

dont get me wrong, i love smashing food - thay is why i love cycling

buyt some people just have no idea
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Next

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Venus62



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist