Surely She Can't Be Serious!

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Just reading an article on pezcyclingnews.com about nutrition. The writer says athletes shouldn't go on the now trendy high protein diets as they need carbs. OK - I get that... But then she goes on to quote research that says athletes should consume 1.2 to 1.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight. OK - I get that too.... But then I go to the fridge and look at the nutritional info on a box of eggs... Surely she can't be serious - that's 20 eggs a day at my body weight! I'm on what some might call a high protein way of eating - Tim Ferriss's 4 Hour Body - and I have lost 15kg on it. Even on that regime, I don't think I get close to 1.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight!
My question - thinking about what you have eaten in the last few days, are you achieving 1.8grams per kg???

sogood

Re: Surely She Can't Be Serious!

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 pm

1.8 clearly is at the upper end of suggested range and probably would be for a big athlete. Heavyweight weightlifter or shot putter perhaps? Are you that big?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Sogood, the article does not say the bigger you are, the higher in the range you should go. Go have a look in your fridge and do the sums as I did... Even on 1.5gms per kg and 80kg body weight that is 18 eggs a day! (I'm still struggling with that as "not a high protein diet"!)
Anyway, getting back to my question... I am genuinely interested in knowing whether people in this forum eat that much protein and don't consider it a "high protein" way of eating!!

vander

Postby vander » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Nope not surprised most people dont eat enough protein its so important, just as important as the training you do. You need to eat right otherwise training is wasted.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:Sogood, the article does not say the bigger you are, the higher in the range you should go. Go have a look in your fridge and do the sums as I did... Even on 1.5gms per kg and 80kg body weight that is 18 eggs a day! (I'm still struggling with that as "not a high protein diet"!)
True, but it's logical to assume the higher range values are for the bigger guys. Otherwise the comparison using 18 eggs is not valid as the egg contains more than just protein while the report you presented is for pure protein. Try protein powder.

madrapper

Postby madrapper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 am

As alluded to by sogood.... there are other sources of protein available believe it or not.

Grilled chicken, red meat, fish...
Cheers,
Dave

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:47 am

Let me ask the question again, how much protein do you eat per day?
Please don't get hung up on my example of 18 eggs in my OP. I could just as easily used 652gms of chicken breast or 583gms of 95% lean sirloin.
I am genuinely interested in finding out if anyone out there is eating protein to the extent recommended by this article.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 am

1 gram per kilo per jour +/- 20%
Ex vegetarian who now eats fish.

clackers

Re: Re: Surely She Can't Be Serious!

Postby clackers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:33 am

gabrielle260 wrote: Please don't get hung up on my example of 18 eggs in my OP. I could just as easily used 652gms of chicken breast or 583gms of 95% lean sirloin.
Gabrielle, are you sure about those sums?

For a 70kg person, that formula being quoted would mean somewhere between 80 to 120g a day, right?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:47 am

I work on 30g per meal, as that is the max I can take on board at a sitting according to some literature. That figure doesn't include post-ride recovery drink, which is basically a 600ml chocolate skim milk.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:44 am

Clackers, to be exact it is 84 to 126 gms for a 70kg person. Info on the eggs came from the nutritional panel on the box and the figures for chicken breast and steak came from a simple google search.
And in the interest of full disclosure Gabrielle is my wife and it's a long time since I've been 70kg!!
Andrew

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 am

Trailgumby, Thanks for your response! Your intake sounds like mine... And depending on your body weight, below what this article recommends as part of a daily intake that is not "high protein". Sorry, 12 hours after reading the article I am still boggled that the author doesn't believe in high protein diets and yet recommends this amount of protein... I guess I should just build a bridge!!
Andrew

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:35 am

toolonglegs wrote:1 gram per kilo per jour +/- 20%
Current vegetarian.... has this had qualitative effect on your cycling? Is this just for the protein (FWIW, I know you live in France and I have experienced the French attitude towards vegetarianism)?

I have just started using myfitnesspal.com and my protein intake is lower than what they say it should be and my legs do seem to get more tired. That could be a concrete deficit though :).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:36 am

madrapper wrote:As alluded to by sogood.... there are other sources of protein available believe it or not.

Grilled chicken, red meat, fish...
Lentils are meant to be 26% protein, and yummy too !!

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:42 pm

I know what would happen if I was to eat that many eggs :mrgreen:

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:05 pm

Le Velo wrote:I know what would happen if I was to eat that many eggs :mrgreen:
Me too. I would get into serious trouble for finishing a fortnight's supply of eggs in the fridge. :roll:

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:12 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:Let me ask the question again, how much protein do you eat per day?
Please don't get hung up on my example of 18 eggs in my OP. I could just as easily used 652gms of chicken breast or 583gms of 95% lean sirloin.
I am genuinely interested in finding out if anyone out there is eating protein to the extent recommended by this article.
500gm of chicken/beef isn't hard (200gm lunch & 300gm dinner)... that with a couple of eggs and some protein rich veggies & its covered!
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:39 pm

ozdavo wrote:
gabrielle260 wrote:Let me ask the question again, how much protein do you eat per day?
500gm of chicken/beef isn't hard (200gm lunch & 300gm dinner)... that with a couple of eggs and some protein rich veggies & its covered!
Whey is the cheapest source of protein believe it or not, Eggs are fine, and dont throw the bloody yolks away :P Lyle Mcdonald suggest 1 to 1.5grams of protein per Pounds of bodyweight, which is what I follow. I mean, how hard is it? I count my macros once I fill my protein needs the rest I either fill with Carbs or Fat depending on what I am doing for the rest of the day or even for tomorrow.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:31 pm

I'm a vegetarian of about 30 years.

I worked out how much protein I was eating in my normal diet once and it was about right or even a little bit more than needed for an endurance cyclist according to my CA Coaching book. That is 1 to 1.2 grams per kg. For a power rider (sprinter track time trial) about 1.3 - 1.6 grams is recommended.

I don't eat anything special but do make sure I balance legumes and grains, also eat a bit of dairy, occasional eggs. Protein is in lots of things, not just things that look like meat or eggs btw. It's in bread for instance. Not much, but some.

I'm not sure you are right though Vander. I'm sure most people eat too much protein in this country at least.

clackers

Re: Re: Surely She Can't Be Serious!

Postby clackers » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:42 am

Eleri wrote: Protein is in lots of things, not just things that look like meat or eggs btw. It's in bread for instance. Not much, but some.
Wheat has just about the highest content of the cereals, Eleni. People in the tropics who subsisted on rice instead could get malnourished and develop those pot bellies characteristic of protein deficiency.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:05 am

simonn wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:1 gram per kilo per jour +/- 20%
Current vegetarian.... has this had qualitative effect on your cycling? Is this just for the protein (FWIW, I know you live in France and I have experienced the French attitude towards vegetarianism)?

I have just started using myfitnesspal.com and my protein intake is lower than what they say it should be and my legs do seem to get more tired. That could be a concrete deficit though :).
Nah... When I was a full vege I had no problems getting the right amount of protein in, but I did have to concentrate on it a bit... But it was many years of cycling before I actually paid attention to it... Had been a vege since I was 19 or so... And had no issues riding hard and long in my 20's and 30's. I started eating fish again because I missed it and it does make life a bit easier.
Vege's don't exist in France ( generalizing of course) ... "what you don't eat rancid sausage, bloated goose liver, horse burgers, pet rabbit stew... Man you are weird " haha
Sorry le velo :-)

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Not sure about your source, my understanding is your protein intake should be based around your muscle mass. This will vary with body fat percentages.

For my muscle mass of 85 kg (at the time of calculation) my intake was:

Breakfast 6 bacon + 2 eggs
Morning Tea 60 grams sliced meat
Lunch 225 gms sliced meats
Afternoon tea 60 gms sliced meats
dinner 180 gms cooked meat
supper 60 gms sliced meats

This seems like a lot of protein to me. But I can't be exactg as I was on a supervised diet leaving the calculations to the experts.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:18 pm

dynamictiger wrote:Not sure about your source, my understanding is your protein intake should be based around your muscle mass. This will vary with body fat percentages.

For my muscle mass of 85 kg (at the time of calculation) my intake was:

Breakfast 6 bacon + 2 eggs
Morning Tea 60 grams sliced meat
Lunch 225 gms sliced meats
Afternoon tea 60 gms sliced meats
dinner 180 gms cooked meat
supper 60 gms sliced meats

This seems like a lot of protein to me. But I can't be exactg as I was on a supervised diet leaving the calculations to the experts.
Wow - your muscles weight 1.5 times my entire body weight!

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Eleri wrote:Wow - your muscles weight 1.5 times my entire body weight!
Calm down, Eleri! :mrgreen:

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Eleri wrote:Wow - your muscles weight 1.5 times my entire body weight!
Probably. I am not tiny.