Policemen riding

silkishuge

Re: Policemen riding

Postby silkishuge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:53 am

Apple wrote:I was riding back from Pie in the sky todayand noticed 3 policemen in full uniform riding on the old pacific hwy on mountain bikes.
How impressive is that. I can’t say they were slim but it looks like they are riding as part of a training thing for the police force.
I did not see any police. What time was that. I rode out to Mt White. Left Hornsby Heights at 555am and back at 740am. It would have been interesting to see. Maybe it is an organised morning ride for the hornsby police station.

Jon

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 am

silkishuge wrote:I did not see any police. What time was that. I rode out to Mt White. Left Hornsby Heights at 555am and back at 740am. It would have been interesting to see. Maybe it is an organised morning ride for the hornsby police station.

Jon
No Jon, they were still sleeping at that time :mrgreen: They were riding at 10am
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:23 am

Apple wrote:
silkishuge wrote:I did not see any police. What time was that. I rode out to Mt White. Left Hornsby Heights at 555am and back at 740am. It would have been interesting to see. Maybe it is an organised morning ride for the hornsby police station.

Jon
No Jon, they were still sleeping at that time :mrgreen: They were riding at 10am

:lol: :lol:
It was a beautiful day out though. The roads were completely empty at the time and only stopped at one set of lights. I had not done that ride for a while. Its called "the how much pain I can inflict on myself ride" and I did a decent job. Out and back in 1hr 45min 60km round trip.

Jon

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:37 am

It was a beautiful day. I also did 60km, it was also cold when you rode it, is that right ?
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 am

Apple wrote:It was a beautiful day. I also did 60km, it was also cold when you rode it, is that right ?
It was arm warmers cold but the legs warmed up quite quickly. Tail wind out and head wind back but nothing as bad as the day before. The road was free of debris, which wasn't the case on bobbo the day before. It was another beautiful day this morning but it was cold again. It was a nice kind of cold, not freezing cold. Perfect riding weather imo. I did the 3 gorges today at a comfortable pace with a mate. It was nice. Things might get a bit wet tomorrow.

Jon

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:20 am

silkishuge, I think you are a freak, you ride soooooooooooooooo much :shock:

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:37 am

Apple wrote:silkishuge, I think you are a freak, you ride soooooooooooooooo much :shock:
:oops: I ride as much and less than a few with some here. 400km a week is typical and before an overseas bike trip, I might do 600km the week before to get some saddle extra saddle time. Much of my weekly ride is commuting, but I can easily change it into a training ride because the course can be challanging if you adjust your gearing to be. I have been doing bobbo in the big ring for a while now and making sure I stay in the seat, and I can feel a dramatic improvement in strength and speed.

Jon

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 am

silkishuge wrote:[be. I have been doing bobbo in the big ring for a while now and making sure I stay in the seat, and I can feel a dramatic improvement in strength and speed.

Jon
Can you post a photo of your thighs please :shock:

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:50 am

Apple wrote:
silkishuge wrote:[be. I have been doing bobbo in the big ring for a while now and making sure I stay in the seat, and I can feel a dramatic improvement in strength and speed.

Jon
Can you post a photo of your thighs please :shock:
:lol: :lol:

I only started doing it because I noticed a few other stronger riders doing it and just followed. Cadence is slow and but you must be stubborn and stay on the seat. I latched on to the Dawn Petrol last week and was glad that I was not dropped going up bobbo so I know I am improving. I have not ridden with them much but I used to get dropped EVERY time.

Jon

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:58 am

bad time to realise that the rear saddle bag will stop you from sliding back off your saddle! We have bike cops in Brisbane too, have seen them at Strathpine, CBD, Coronation Drive.
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:34 pm

I have never seen a police officer on a bike up in Hornsby area. I have seen them frequently in Melbourne CBD, not sure about Sydney. I don't think police were out petrolling the pacific highway on a push bike. They won't be catching anyone thats for sure, unless they were targeting cyclist, which would also be tough on a mountain bike on that road. Its a fast stretch of road for cyclist and I know there have been reports of hoons at night and a number of speeding motorcyclist. That is why I suspect it was more like training to get fitness on a bike. If it is, good on them. I have seen far to many tubby cops. Long hours make it hard to get fit.

Jon

hewey

Postby hewey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:38 pm

I see them all the time patrolling the Penrith CBD area, usually 3 together. Not as busy as Sydney obviously, but still often a quicker response time than a car. The other bonus is it serves to raise their profile and make people aware of them (high vis will do that).

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 am

Look on the footpath:

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 am

And what exactly are they doing on the footpath??
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 am

r2160 wrote:And what exactly are they doing on the footpath??
patroling the area. Drug dealers, crooks & robbers aren't going to be standing on the road or in the middle of a bike path?

westab

Postby westab » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:56 am

Thunderthighs wrote:Two young blokes on BMXs throwing bottles at about 4:30am around Quakers Hill. No fun at all.
Saw two boys in blue on bike on the M7 (which is patrolled - especially in the school holidays) - were having a good talk to some young people on Friday afternoon who were on BMX bikes. Wonder if it was related to above or the fact that they were not wearing helmets.

It was good to se them out there. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:17 am

Mugglechops wrote:I think you would be safe if this bloke was chasing you :D

Feel sorry for him. Looks like he really got hurt (not surprisingly). Needed more training.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:51 am

nayfen wrote:
patroling the area. Drug dealers, crooks & robbers aren't going to be standing on the road or in the middle of a bike path?
they are also supposed to be setting an example and riding on the footpath isnt.
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Sinny

Postby Sinny » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:26 pm

r2160 wrote:
nayfen wrote:
they are also supposed to be setting an example and riding on the footpath isnt.
I believe the Police have an examption from this as they are doing so in the course of their 'duty'. Furthermore unlike avergae Joe cyclist they receive training through a formal course and know doubt have set guidlines on what they can and can't do ie do you see them racing through crowds carrying on like hoodlum teens etc.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Have them patrolling the Perth CBD & Northbridge. One almost slammed into me as I was crossing on a my bike on a green light a couple of weeks ago. I think he needed to go back to bike handling school.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Police target 'unsafe' cyclists ... but not for speeding

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/a-bridge-too- ... z1oOZPjByV
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:57 am

I saw some police on bikes in Cremorne, . I have noticed that they seem to be on the heavy side of normal weight and they always seem to be on mountain bikes
Well it's still good to see them out and showing the public that they ride.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:52 am

Apple wrote:I have noticed that they seem to be on the heavy side of normal weight and they always seem to be on mountain bikes
pretty easy to outrun then :D
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:21 pm

JV911 wrote:
Apple wrote:I have noticed that they seem to be on the heavy side of normal weight and they always seem to be on mountain bikes
^That might make for (in)famous last words... :wink:

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:23 pm

JV911 wrote:

You can't outrun a bullet :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: