2012 Commuter Cup Racing - The Real Game

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Ok, so how about we have a CCR thread along the lines of Bike Radars Silly Commuting Racing Rules. If you have a win... work out whether they were higher or lower in the food chain. Claim a point if victorious... but be honest and take a loss if you have one.

Keep scores yourself... I'll try and do a totals page periodically. :)

ldrcycles

Re: 2012 Commuter Cup Racing - The Real Game

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Well i'm minus 3 for the year already :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 am

Everybody happy with the linked rules?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:46 am

I got all excited that I might have got a point, but then looked at the food chain and realised no point for me :cry:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 am

The food chain: where do you come in the system?
Scooters
Roadies with shaved legs*
Proper rapid singlespeeds (real men, messengers, tarty shiny fixies)*
Roadies with hairy legs*
Faux singlespeeds (fakengers, dirty/functional bikes, silly eggbeater gears)*
Touring bikes (mudguards)*
Fast hybrids*
MTBs on skinnies*
MTBs on knobblies
Bromptons/collapsing bikes
MTB full-sus on knobblies
Shoppers
Shoppers with wicker baskets
Electric bikes
On my recreational rides, my folder has overtaken nearly every bike but the CF roadie with shaved legs and scooters. But it would be highly unfair to use it for this comp :wink: underestimate us folder riders at own risk!
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:54 pm

I don't understand the rules at all. What does the food chain mean? There is no way I am not claiming points for anyone that resists my awesome pedal power of awesome, even if they are a broken down granny on a girl's bike.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:10 pm

What's a scooter? :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Xplora wrote:I don't understand the rules at all. What does the food chain mean? There is no way I am not claiming points for anyone that resists my awesome pedal power of awesome, even if they are a broken down granny on a girl's bike.
Remember they are minus points, so given i'm a roady with shaved legs i'm aiming for many thousands of negative points :D .

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Mulger bill wrote:What's a scooter? :?
Vespas? They don't go that fast.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Max

Postby Max » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Wait, what? Didn't the linked rules say it basically boils down to getting a point for each person you pass, and lose a point for every person who passes you? The food chain doesn't make a difference to the points you get, does it?

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:21 pm

I think the food chain isn't making any sense at all. Roadies of any kind might as well not participate if you only get points for people above you? Besides, there is nothing for CARS, and I have passed many cars on my favourite spot :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Hey yea i never thought about cars, but then if you're in the city they can't race back! :) .

I'm up to minus 4 now, or can i get more than one point for a fully loaded touring mtb with a rear view mirror and hi vis vest? :D .

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Mulger bill wrote:What's a scooter? :?

A dog with a bad case of worms :D

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Max wrote:Wait, what? Didn't the linked rules say it basically boils down to getting a point for each person you pass, and lose a point for every person who passes you? The food chain doesn't make a difference to the points you get, does it?
Note the basic rule is just this: "If you drop anyone who looks faster than you: +1. If you get dropped by anyone that looks slower than you: -1". The food chain is mostly a guideline, not set in stone. Even in the shaved leg roadie group, there's plenty of obvious skill differences to get a point here or there. Means if you're at the top of the chain, you're probably not going to get a lot of CCR points.

Not sure why people think you get negative points if you pass someone lower down the chain. You only lose points if someone lower on the food chain passes you.

Honestly, CCR is about the only thing that makes commuting on a skinny tyre hardtail MTB with flat pedals even somewhat enjoyable. Those (very) rare occasions of passing a kitted out roadie while making it look easy are great. :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Minus 5, passed another roady this morning who didn't have shaved legs. I thought for a second that my backpack might peg me down but then remembered i shave my arms too :) . There's plenty of other riders about atm but very few going my way :( .

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 am

ldrcycles wrote:Minus 5, passed another roady this morning who didn't have shaved legs. I thought for a second that my backpack might peg me down but then remembered i shave my arms too :) . There's plenty of other riders about atm but very few going my way :( .
Mate you can't get -ve points by passing anyone. :)

I toasted a guy yesterday ... he wasn't trying to the max - but neither was I. I'll have to pass on that. If I'm going to get some points I'm going to have to take out the hybrid and attack roadies. :shock:

So who is keeping score?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Comedian wrote:I'll have to pass on that. If I'm going to get some points I'm going to have to take out the hybrid and attack roadies. :shock:
be a good workout too

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Question to the floor: how do we define 'fast hybrid'? I'm on a hybrid but I dunno about 'fast' :P Depending on how I'd rank against a knobbly MTB I may have earned a point earlier in the week - given my performance handicap and the fact that almost nobody goes in my direction, might the the only one I get all year!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Lizzy wrote:Question to the floor: how do we define 'fast hybrid'?
wouldn't a flat bar be a fast hybrid?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Comedian wrote:Mate you can't get -ve points by passing anyone. :)
But i'm at the top of the food chain, so if i can't claim negative points i'll finish the year with nothing!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Comedian wrote:Mate you can't get -ve points by passing anyone. :)
But i'm at the top of the food chain, so if i can't claim negative points i'll finish the year with nothing!
No.. you can get points against other riders who are also top of the chain. :)

Alternatively break out the old MTB and see if you can cause some carnage. ;)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Lizzy wrote:Question to the floor: how do we define 'fast hybrid'? I'm on a hybrid but I dunno about 'fast' :P Depending on how I'd rank against a knobbly MTB I may have earned a point earlier in the week - given my performance handicap and the fact that almost nobody goes in my direction, might the the only one I get all year!
Well I would regard a normal hybrid as being a bit like my commuter. Heavy, covered in racks, lights, child towing couplings etc. A fast hybrid would be a bare or nearly hybrid... possibly running on race tyres.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Comedian wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Question to the floor: how do we define 'fast hybrid'? I'm on a hybrid but I dunno about 'fast' :P Depending on how I'd rank against a knobbly MTB I may have earned a point earlier in the week - given my performance handicap and the fact that almost nobody goes in my direction, might the the only one I get all year!
Well I would regard a normal hybrid as being a bit like my commuter. Heavy, covered in racks, lights, child towing couplings etc. A fast hybrid would be a bare or nearly hybrid... possibly running on race tyres.
so does mine qualify as a normal hybrid being i'm running 28c tyres? :D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:13 am

jasonc wrote:
Comedian wrote:
so does mine qualify as a normal hybrid being i'm running 28c tyres? :D
I reckon. :shock: :D

I class my hybrid as a "slow" hybrid because it's got mud flaps, 28c tyres, rack, alpine hub, plus all manner of other guff. It weighs 15kg. ;)

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Hmm - fat tyres, rack, etc - normal-to-slow hybrid it is! Well, irrespective of whether I deserved my point or not I reckon I lost it on the way home anyhow :roll: Girl from another dept tore away from me on an even older and more spartan rig than I have - boy could she whip that thing. ::hiss::
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle