Bad eating habits witnessed

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
twizzle

Re: Bad eating habits witnessed

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:32 am

I may once have eaten ten hot cinnamon doughnuts in about 20 min... :oops: Strangely, it was back in my young/fit days about twenty years ago. I would never do something like this now.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:41 am

My diet for all of my youth consisted of 8-12 pints of milk a day on top of everything else I could find that resembled food.

Nowadays I restrict myself to a few small cartons of light iced coffee about once a week.

Chef

Postby Chef » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 am

I learnt to cook in some fairy old school, high end restaurants in the UK. The key to 'good' cooking was to use as much fat as possible - meats were cooked in butter (sometimes poached in butter to make a very rich confit), rich sauces were finished with cream and up to 30% butter, vegetables were tossed in a glaze made by reducing chicken stock to a syrup and then emulsifying with lots of butter.....

These days chefs are a little more enlightened, but I still make my mash potatoes the way I was taught - about 1kg potatoes, 200ml full cream milk and 500grams of butter

Cheers

the grid

Postby the grid » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:07 am

skull wrote:Today i ate 6 iced vovos in a row. Yes, 6. That is control if you ask me, usually it is a whole packet.
HA ha God I love those

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 am

Tim wrote:The pie in a roll reminds me of regular school lunches; sausage roll in a white bread roll, with sauce and a chocolate BigM to wash it down.
The "sausage roll in a bread roll" was a high school staple at our tuckshop (St Laurence's at South Brisbane). As growing teenage boys, doing rugby training after school 4 days/week, etc, we burned off all the carbs pretty quickly...

I always thought it was 'normal', until I ordered one from somewhere after I finished school - they looked at me like I was an idiot... :oops:

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:44 pm

I had one koko black belgian truffle today

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:13 pm

I have had cake and more iced vovos today

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:18 pm

skull wrote:I have had cake and more iced vovos today
Sigh.....

I dream of left over pizza dipped in batter and then deep fried. Followed by a frozen Bounty bar, again dipped in batter and then deep fried. The oil can't be too fresh either - it has to have "character".
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:34 pm

BarryTas wrote:• after cooking the onions (about 2 onions) on the BBQ this person then placed the onions in a baking tray back on the BBQ along with and good fist size portion of butter into the tray
What a travesty!
needs about less than 1/4 of that volume in butter.... but more garlic & freshly cut chillis!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Abby wrote:
Tim wrote:The pie in a roll reminds me of regular school lunches; sausage roll in a white bread roll, with sauce and a chocolate BigM to wash it down.
The "sausage roll in a bread roll" was a high school staple at our tuckshop (St Laurence's at South Brisbane). As growing teenage boys, doing rugby training after school 4 days/week, etc, we burned off all the carbs pretty quickly...

I always thought it was 'normal', until I ordered one from somewhere after I finished school - they looked at me like I was an idiot... :oops:

Cheers,
Abby
yeah that was my standard lunch at St Francis Xavier's in Newcastle. Loved it. Often had 2. It's the only way I can eat a sausage roll.

When I was at uni my standard diner was a 1/4 chicken and chips followed by a 1/2 kg bag of M&Ms. I pretty much ate that big bag of M&Ms every night for 18 years. I was also known for regularly eating a family sized packet of Tim Tams in one sitting.

Ah the memories I do love M&Ms and Tim Tam's, just can't eat them anymore. I hit 37 and started putting on weight. I had always been in the mid 70s for weight. I struggle to keep my weight below 80kg and eat nothing compared to what I use to.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 pm

completely destroyed the lollie tin at work today. technically finished at 12.. didnt get out till 4. :( GRRR

back there super early again tomorrow to fit people in before i go on leave .... that poor lollie tin isnt going to know what hit it tomorrow!
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:20 pm

I still eat like a pig, but much better than years ago. eg. On holidays and a bit bored so today I've eaten 9 peaches and at least 10 plums straight off the tree, 3 tomatoes and 2 cucumbers from the garden, can't keep up with the home produce, as well as the "regular" bought food; 4 slices of wholemeal bread, bowl of porridge and oat bran, 1 avocadoe and now I'm about ready for tea, zucchini slice (eggs and zucchini from our place) and maybe yoghurt and more peaches for desert. Much better choices than days of old. I love summer food. Speaking of "regular"..........I am. :D

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Wow Tim ..with all that fruit you should be able to poo through the eye of a needle! But if you're stuffing yourself you could be doing worse with your choices.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:02 pm

No problems.........Cast iron guts.

vince

Postby vince » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Abby wrote:

Cheers,
Abby
ahhh the sausage roll roll, a twist on this used to be, 1 x redhot sausage roll, 1 x white bread roll with butter and peanut butter (thickly applied) , place said sausage roll on the peanut butter roll and then enjoy. it was a novacastrian who gave me his recipe. mmmmm unhealthy arggghhhhh.
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Peanut butter? :o
Soap cheddar and Worcester sauce thanks.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sonj

Postby sonj » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Every other night I have a glass of full cream milk.... with a dollop of pouring cream on baaad nights. Cholesterol and BP still at low end of healthy range. If they creep up I'll cut down to 3 times a week, promise. Oh, and potatoes cooked in duck fat - that is all.

speciallezed

Postby speciallezed » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:02 am

As a young lad me and my friend would descend on the all you can eat Pizza hut restaurant. The whole object of the night was to eat as many slices of pizza as you could. We got our moneys worth out of it but I hate to think of the amount of fat we must have consumed.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:50 am

nayfen wrote: in each episode and takes on food challenge he was atempting to eat a hamburger with mutiple beef patties, cheese bacon, lettuce tomato various sauces etc
Speaking of food challenges in December 2010 (13 months ago) I managed to finish off a 2kg meal in less than 30 minutes to win a T-shirt + the meal at half price. The photos from that night are disgusting & I can't believe how easy it was to consume 2kg of food in 20 minutes :oops:

The meal was 1kg of steak, half a kg of vegetables & half a kg of wedges. I do believe the food challenge is still about at a place called Outback Jacks in Brisbane.

BTW................. I'm now a Vegan
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:15 am

speciallezed wrote:As a young lad me and my friend would descend on the all you can eat Pizza hut restaurant. The whole object of the night was to eat as many slices of pizza as you could. We got our moneys worth out of it but I hate to think of the amount of fat we must have consumed.
ah I remember those nights when I was a poor uni student. When they first started these things up in Toowoomba they use to leave the pizza out on a table. As soon as it came out, my mates and I would swarm on it like vultures. We would have comps to see how many slices we could eat. My best was 18 slices, 2 1/4 pizzas. My mate who played Rugby for uni once ate 26! That's 3 1/4 pizzas.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:08 pm

I have just developed anorexia from reading this gross out thread. :shock:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:03 pm

nayfen wrote:there is a t.v series called man vs food. my wife was watching it a few weeks ago and said have a look at this. i watched it for less than 5 mins and left the room feeling nausious. The host travels across the United States to explore the culture and unique "big food". one city in each episode and takes on food challenge he was atempting to eat a hamburger with mutiple beef patties, cheese bacon, lettuce tomato various sauces etc wedged between a krispy cream donut. <SNIP>
You can buy these just down the road from where I live. They call it the "Oh my Goodness burger"...
http://www.chomper.com.au/restaurant/ch ... 7-takeaway
There are some seriously BIG people lining up in there. The nastiest thing in there I want to try are the curly fries topped with chicken salt, cheese and bacon pieces! The regular size burger I had from there a week ago was quite nice and fresh.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 am

I am now traveling in the States - I will keep my eyes peeled, I'm sure there will be something to contribute :D
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

x8pg2qr

Postby x8pg2qr » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:05 am

I walked around looking for food the other day—a food court is a foreign place to me. A KFC 2 piece feed (i.e. 2 pieces of chicken, small fries, and a soft drink) is $6. Pricewise, not much else competes with this mass produced crud.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 am

I saw on TV today - a bucket of KFC (11 pieces) is $10 US. Delivered family pizza $5.

Powerade is $0.82 for a litre ( still more expensive than soft drinks)

Went for a walk - no footpaths anywhere, everything is designed around the car.

It explains a lot about the place.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass